z

Young Writers Society

Name Central

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:22 am
Rosendorn says...

The question still applies in a few ways.

1- If he still has his given name at birth, then it would be of a certain nationality. Therefore we need to know what his nationality is.

2- If he named himself, then he likely took a name he'd heard as he was growing up and he liked. Therefore we need to know what sort of nationality he's currently living in.

Do keep in mind that the Medieval period had tons of nationalities within it: French, Arabic, German, Italian, Spanish, what we'd call English (which is a mix of pretty much everything in the known world! Including Latin, Celtic, and Greek. Also Germanic languages but I already put German in there) and even some North African.

Nationality is really quite important. Even if you're just saying "I want names to sound vaguely like this."
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:04 pm
deleted17 says...

I need help!!! The main characters mom is unnamed, and I hate that. I simply call her She, but the other characters need to give her an evil nickname... cause she is the bad guy!!! I'm thinking of something that means ' done wrong' or something. HELP HELP HELP HELP
Have your chin up, and speak up.Otherwise, nothing will get done.And what you need to say, will never be heard.Just be confident in what you say, and stand by it

1272 Reviews

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:04 pm
Rosendorn says...

I'm going to ask you, as well, what nationality you're looking at, along with time frame. That is a really important factor in picking a name. Even if it's just general sounds you want to be in the character's name, or names that sound like x. If you answer that nationality question for me about both characters you've asked about, I can help you figure it out.

Also I'd like to ask why the nickname has to be evil. Do they find out about it after she's revealed as the villain? Or will that just happen to be her nickname? Meaningful names can get old really fast, so I'm wondering why you want to use one.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:46 pm
Cole says...

I need help finding names for a historical fiction short story I'm working on. It takes place in the English Middle Ages and involves a Witches' Sabbath and a consequential execution.

The main character is Margalie, who is being condemned by Reverend Ivo because she was caught hiding instruments of black magic in her house and was exposed for having attended a Black Mass. I need names for...

-Margalie's Husband:
-1st Deacon:
-2nd Deacon
-Lead Witch (female):
-1st Male Witch:
-2nd Male Witch:
-3rd Male Witch:
-1st Female Witch:
-2nd Female Witch:
-3rd Female Witch:
-Extras For Villagers:

If you have any questions, just ask. This will really be helpful to me; I'm having a difficult time tracking down name lists for this time period.

1272 Reviews

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:08 am
Rosendorn says...

Have fun! (Behind the Name> Usage> Medieval)

There is also this which is names mostly used in English, but does not specify period. And last I heard Biblical names were fairly popular in the period (considering the church was most people's source of knowledge).

Another thing that would be really popular is the ruler's name at the time the people were born.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:18 pm
Spotswood says...

So, basically I am writing a High Fantasy novel very similar to Game of Thrones. It is in no way a ripoff, but it bears similarities...especially with the geography in the north. Essentially, I came up with a kingdom called "Wintergrasp," which is in a fictionalized version of Europe known as "Caenterin." This world I am writing about resembles our world today in terms of conflicts, despite its medieval/fantastical setting.

Anyway, the kingdom of Wintergrasp is basically the equivalent of the land from northern Poland and extends north into Eastern Russia (Wintergasp's main port is like Saint Petersburg despite the fact that it is not under control of Russia, which is known as "The Dale." I have not yet come up with the name for the capital of Wintergrasp though. I was thinking of "Winterhold," but that's from Skyrim. "Castle Winter" sounds too generic, and "Winterbane" resembles Winterfell from GoT. I need help coming up with names for the capital of Wintergasp. I was thinking of using Old Nordic, but I don't want to rip off of Tolkien.

The name Wintergrasp for the kingdom also sounds too much like Wintefell from GoT, but I've grown attached to the name, which I think sounds cool. Do you have any alternatives? I really don't want to directly copy any other franchises...
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:45 pm
lostthought says...

Cold Springs maybe?
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

29 Reviews

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:42 pm
Spotswood says...

It sounds more like the name of a village, but I like the name!
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

662 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 662
Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:53 pm
Messenger says...

Snowfell. ( I don't like that too much, but you might.)

29 Reviews

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:59 pm
Spotswood says...

It sounds a tad bit too much like Wintefel
-R.U.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:20 am
Dreamy says...

Shiverland?
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

29 Reviews

Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:04 pm
Spotswood says...

I'm looking for something a little more badass. Man, this is a hard one...
-R.U.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:49 pm
LadySpark says...

@Spotswood

Gelidgap? (Gelid means extremely cold)
Arcticfell?
Algidfalls? (Algid means icy/cold)
Brumalgap? (Brumal means guess what? Icy!)

Basically, if none of these suit your fancy, I'd suggest looking up cold/wintry on a thesaurus and start throwing names around. Good luck with your novel! :)
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:33 am
therealme says...

@Spotswood

Hmmm... badass you say? And you want it to have a kind of wintery name?
Let's see...

Frostenstone? (or just Frosten, or Frostone)
Gelidale?
Afrore?
Frorena?
Crispton?
Numbin?
Wintasia?
Crispreth?

I dunno, that was my shot at it anyway xD
"It is our Light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:19 am
Vervain says...

I'm having some bad trouble with a main character's name (like, I can't even think up a filler name for this one). Her name WAS Vera Creek, but it doesn't fit her at all after an all-out revamp of her story; she's American, from a small town in New England, and very little of what I think up suits her any. She's supposed to be fairly forgettable, and the story is modern-day (so she'd have been born sometime around 1987-90).

Any ideas?
stay off the faerie paths

Your hesitation suggests you are trying to protect my feelings. However, since I have none, I would prefer you to be honest. An artist's growth depends upon accurate feedback.
— LCDR Data