z

Young Writers Society

How many/much is too much?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:20 am
~Excalibur~ says...

I have a story, which few have taken notice on here, titled Gaea and much of the work remains unposted, but I've started to lose some impetus over an issue that probably gives every fantasy writer an issue at some point. Five chapters in I broke on the sixth to introduce the darker contrast to the main characters in the beginning, yet the story doesn't seem to work without a THIRD set of main characters. Three swapping plot lines may seem much, but as a writer I know I could handle it, but the problem really lies in the reader's ability to remember and understand each group. Is it too much to ask?

Legend of Galactic Heroes had 3 sides, but two dominating view points with the third being the political tie that clashed the two opposing groups together, my own story would need to have this third political group to push the main characters into conflict.

Also, since each group of main characters consists of four, three and five characters they will each need to be developed and that means their own ambitions and histories will play out on this ever expanding stage which the story tells. Should I really risk losing my reader's attention by having this third group enter early on in the story, or reserve them until near 'deus-ex-machina'? Which would be horribly cliche as the third group essentially are gods from the machine manifest by the actions of the characters throughout their past and present in the storyline.

If anyone understands, help!

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:01 am
Kibble says...

I tend to write stories driven by a single character, so I'm probably not in a position to comment on this from the point of view of writing. However, as far as reading goes I think it would probably work, depending on a few things. I think the characters would all have to be well defined and have radically different sounding names. I generally like books with a few sets of main characters. Thinking in terms of Harry Potter, there are multiple groups of characters all developed (although that's a long series) and that was popular. There's the main trio -- Ron, Harry, Hermione -- then the Marauders, Snape, Dumbledore, Neville, Luna, Ginny and Voldemort. That's at least twelve charactersl with personalities that change and develop.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:56 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

It really depends on how many people are in each plot. In my novel, Betrayed and Plagued, there are three plot lines: The main trio - Daniel, Allyson, and Elizabeth - the political aspect - King Vezza - and the "villian" - King Aaron and Ocana. It is worth noting that King Aaron and Ocana are about the only characters in their plot line, plus an "extra" every now and then. In addition, Vezza has only a few other characters in his plot line, including his son, King Aaron, and two other kings. That really just leaves me with six characters in those two combined. That leaves the reader perfectly capable of understanding all the characters in the main storyline.

Basically, don't expect them to understand ten characters in each plot line.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:43 pm
~Excalibur~ says...

I always thought that Harry Potter's side cast was a bit undeveloped and rather shallow for most of the book, simply appearing and being fleshed out for a single book and then being dropped almost completely, even Lord Vordypants. The supporting characters, while there, did little for me and I had really hoped for something besides Luna forever being seen as the weird girl who comes in handy in a pinch. I know they never had a specific plot line to follow, but as main characters I still expected more for a work of that size.

Thunder, that sounds great. So your story has the same set of plot types as I am planning on. Granted I said mine were three, five and four, but I failed to mention a supporting cast comprising of an yet indeterminate number of characters, more then twenty at this point. The break down is as such:

Lady Aphonia/Princess Adina, Cardinal Louis Wentz, Brother Raye supported by Fey, Albert, Edward Schwartz. Essentially a representation of the 'good' side, but Aphonia and Raye are pretty ruthless killers, and Wentz is in a league all his own as the 8 year old Cardinal of Frae. Edward and his troupe band up with the Cardinal on the way to Vinesse, the bards coax some stories out of Wentz and Raye. Albert is Vinesse's medicinal expert who has found a cure for rabies to which Raye and people in the capital desperately need.

Raquil, Kek, Griff and Hilga are the second group, supported by Neex, Vald, Saverz, Tenji, Larcus and five minor supported characters. Though equally 'good', they are probably represented to the reader as the evil side, especially with the violence, sex and absolutely horrifying society they live in, two are sadists, Neex is a cadaver seller. Kek organizes bloodsports, Raquil and Griff are two surviving members of their last job. Saverz is a slave-trader and warlord, Tenji is possibly the darkest as the master of the black market throughout half of Gaea.

The third set of characters would entail King Gustav, Kaiser Herdin and Emperor Pinel as they meet to discuss the spreading rabies and threat of the warlords and Saverz's armada harassing military positions as piracy begins to flourish. Their advisors and friendship embody the lasting peace in the region. Much is discussed politically as well as financially here, which serves as the catalyst for Hilga's move and the Cardinal's sorrow. Much of the conflict arises from their union, deception and moves against one another as the people are forced to make sacrifices for peace.

Does it seem too hard to follow?

Random avatar

Reviews: 52
Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:32 am
Monument Soul says...

well to aswer the overall question, guess the maximum number of parallel plots in a book would be about 6-7 :? ,I'm mean that's just common sense.

unless the 6-7 plots are following individual characters each, and that the plots eventually merge I guess that's ok.

in my series, book 1 centers around the protagonists and the antogonists- both of which die at the end

in book two - I introduce 5 new main characters, and and bolster the status of two supporting characters from the last book.
the protaganist and the antagonist from book one come back and the divide the characters.

in book three-all of the characters are scattered, and have different motives for achieving the same goals.

in book four- the characters unite and die in the end.....leading to the destruction of the world(which is actually a good)

I simplified it to that but whether or not it'll make sense in the end is a different matter...

'They are afraid of nothing,' I grumbled, watching their approach through the window. 'Together, they would brave Satan and all his legions.'
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights