z

Young Writers Society

Protagonists

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:22 am
LilyJamey says...

Ook, I'm starting on a book. Not sure what it's called yet, but probably Dream Drifter. Please help me spot the problems and stuff in this one. It's romantic, but I'm going to try to weave a sub-plot into it. About people finding out about the MC's abilities and stuff.

Here are the two main characters.

The MC is James Donham. He's a nerd, complete with props (glasses, books, heavy schoolbags, etc.), but he looks kinda cute. He's a sort of superhero, I guess.
When he sleeps, he will enter somebody else's dream. And that dream will come true. If it's something bad, he has the power to stop it happening, because he's in a dream, and he has supernatural abilities, because it's just a dream. But in real life, he's your average guy. He moves to Fullerton High, and makes friends almost right away - with the other nerds.

The heroine of the story is Delilah Lee Kirsten, or Lee. She loves books, occasionally wears reading glasses. Her best friends are popular, but she isn't. Where others repeat gossip, she quotes Shakespeare. She's pretty, but is shy, quiet, and likes hanging out with her seniors more because they talk less about who has a crush on who, and are nicer to her than any of the people in her year.
Lee dreams of James (or Jim) before she meets him. Actually, she dreams and he gets into her dreams. Then they meet in real life.

The MC's abilities sound a bit shaky, so I'm looking for advice on that. And whether it sounds ok.
Got YWS?

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:49 pm
Stori says...

You should read the Wheel of Time series (in particular, The Shadow Rising and The Fires of Heaven.) They describe a whole "dream world," Tel Aren'rhihod.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:54 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Totally sounds cool. I like the idea that she dreams of him first. That's awesome.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

There's a Brazilian things you could write about. You just gotta pick Juan.
— Hattable