z

Young Writers Society

A New Story - How can I do this?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:34 pm
Brandon1107 says...

I've been thinking of an idea of a story and I just don't know how I want to go at this. Here is the very very simple plot:

The Angel of Death wants to give up his powers and his immortality to live a simple life and have an eternal rest. He decides to give his powers and immortality to a boy he has been watching since the boy's birth and once he is 18 the Angel of Death gives the boy everything he had. Being naive the boy agrees to this without knowing the very serious repercussions.

~~~~~
Now I don't know what kind of story I want to write. The few ones I've been thinking of:

1.) Chapters about this new boys life and how he goes about his life. He faces romance and how he can have a human relation be inhuman. He faces his training and his acceptance of his powers. He copes with everyday life and his everyday encounters of...killing normal people.

2.) A novel (maybe a series) of this man facing all of the above while having the first Angel Of Death's background biting him in the arse. The other angels never liked the AoD and now he has to face them and they want to trap the new AoD's soul so someone more trained can take over as AoD.

~~~~~
Problems:

- I don't want to even mention God or Satan. This story is about angels...

Any thoughts please.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:49 pm
View Likes
Suzuhara says...

You have a very interesting concept going on. Try thinking about how you want to begin chapter one and see where it goes from there.

Do you start with the Angel of Death handing the boy his powers or do you start with the boy walking by himself one night or having to run an errand or just any setting where he is alone in which AOD visits him in a striking incredible manner and gives him his powers?

How old do you want the boy to be? In his teens? Or do you want to span this from his youth to adulthood. I think it would help if you knew what your target audience for this story is. Teens? Adults? If teens, I suggest having the boy meet the AOD at thirteen and showing his life with these powers from 13-17. However, do you want this to be a series or just one book? If one book, then maybe you should find an age like 15 or 16 and just stick through it for the whole novel.

What are AOD's powers, conditions, rules, etc? What can the boy do and not do with AOD's powers?

Does the boy have to collect people's souls? Is he assigned a task that he is forced to do with AOD's powers and responsibilities?

Does AOD follow the boy around and trains him until the boy can have master over the powers. Is AOD only visible to the boy?

Is the boy popular or an outcast? How was his life before getting AOD's powers? Does he already have a girlfriend or did he never have one? Is there a girl in particular he likes and how do AOD's powers help him or complicated his relation with the girl? How do AOD'S powers complicated his life in general?

What's the great conflict in this piece? The fact that the boy can't stay with his loved b/c he's immortal now. Who's the antagonists? Some other angel or demon who wants to steal AOD's powers from the boy? Who must the boy fight? What does he want? And how to AOD's powers help him or complicate his goals and desires.

Try answering these questions and see how they help you shape you story. It's a wonderful idea. I would read a book like this!
With tears in my eyes and blood in my hands, I pull through and conquer my fears. ~Zackaria Kato

Please check out my blog: sammysuzuhara.blogspot.com

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:50 pm
October Girl says...

Hey there, I'm Max, what I think you should do is write down the plot, the characters and the themes and problems and what not on a piece of paper make an outline! (: Then what you could do is write a rough draft on paper and don't be afraid to get a little carried away then edit it as much as you want then get started on the computer. After that you can edit it again and post it on YWS to have everyone critque it and show it's values. :D PM me if you have any questions or comments.

-Max
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:51 am
Brandon1107 says...

Thank you for all this insight :)

The biggest problem I am having with this plot is not incorporating "God" or "Satan" into this. I don't want this to be religious, except for the concept of angels and maybe demons. Maybe i'm just dreaming...

I don't do time.
— Liberty