z

Young Writers Society

Robbing a Bank

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:54 am
Master_Yoda says...

I am writing a bank robbery, and am struggling to find a scientifically viable way of breaking into a bank vault without attracting too much attention. At the moment, I am leaning towards using a thermal lance to cut open the roof of a bank vault. However, As a thermal lance is so hot, it would likely burn the contents inside.

Alternatively, I could use aqua regia to corrode the lock, and then open the door normally. The problem with doing this, is that I'm not sure how long it would take for the aqua regia to corrode the lock.

If you could help me by either consolidating one of my above suggestions, or offering a good alternative, I'd be very appreciative.

Have a good one! ;)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:30 pm
Rosendorn says...

This was on The Top Ten Robberies of the 20th century.

Use the sewers if there are any under the vault. Have your characters drill to under the vault, and after closing time have them break through the floor. Then they can handily weld the door shut from the inside, trash the place, and leave at their leasure. To get the stuff out, float it on rafts to a safe location.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:31 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Thanks so much Rosey Unicorn,

I think I'm going to do just that! Of course there will be alterations to your plan. In fact, I'm going to do it while the bank is open. That is such a brilliant idea. I don't know what the Top 10 Robberies of the 20th century from, but it is indeed helpful.

Have a good one :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:56 pm
Rosendorn says...

A TV show that aired on Discovery I don't know how long ago. That was the top one. I think you'd be able to find that list if you looked it up. Usually Wikipedia has a lit of shows aired.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

You wanna be a writer? You don't know how or when? Find a quiet place, use a humble pen.
— Paul Simon