z

Young Writers Society

Novel of Manners

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:15 am
miyaviloves says...

Ok, back in the time when 'Pride and Prejudice' was written most novels were known as 'novels of manners', this is what wiki-pedia has to say about it:

The novel of manners is a sub-genre of the realist novel which deals with aspects of behavior, language, customs and values characteristic of a particular class of people in a specific historical context. The novel of manners often shows a conflict between individual aspirations or desires and the accepted social codes of behavior.

Ok, so the novel I am currently working on 'Papillon Embouteillé' I really am trying to keep it as a novel of manners, but with these types of novels there is a LOT of character history and background.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me, because when I write about my characters history I can't help but feel all I am doing is dumping the info on the reader, and as much as I look through it and change it, all it does is frustrates me!

Any help? Or anyone else tried writing in this type of genre?

Any help is brilliant!

Meevs
x
Bag.

Got YWS?

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:58 pm
Angel of Death says...

I am currently writing a 'novel of manners'

My only tip for you would be to use the right language for the time period. Is it set in the Regency, Victorian, Edwardian Age? If so, then make sure your words fit that time period.

Hope that's helpful,

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:02 pm
miyaviloves says...

Thankyou :)

Yeah I have been trying to keep everything in the time period, its set in 1912, so I have to keep thinking wait...what kind of cars do they have etc lol, although I find it really interesting to write about historical things.

When is yours set?

Meevs
Bag.

Got YWS?

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:52 pm
Angel of Death says...

Mines is set in the Regency period. I really didn't do any research. I just watched a lot of movies, Vanity Fair, Pride and Prejudice etc. I'm lazy when it comes to actual research, so I commend you for actually working hard. I've read the snippet you've posted and its really good. And I see you have the first chapter posted, so be expecting a critique from me later.

~Angie
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.
— Sylvia Plath