z

Young Writers Society

Long Travel Portions

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

My characters have been traveling for the past thirty-plus pages, and even I'm bored with it.
They do the same thing day in and day out, mostly complaining or thinking for half the page.
I would feel cheap if I played the whole "One month later..." card.
Question: How can one make uneventful traveling interesting?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:43 pm
Rosendorn says...

Summery. Instead of showing everything they do (which can get really long, as you have discovered) Summerize what they do over the month/week/year. It will save you a lot of pages and it's not cheating. Sometimes you have to play that card.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

253 Reviews

Reviews: 253
Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:26 pm
CK Lynn says...

I had that same problem, where my characters were on a 13 hour plane ride, and it was really long, but I didn't want to skip it, because about 1% of it was important. What I did was I had the two characters talk for awhile and then my main character drifted off to sleep. I don't know how long your characters are traveling for, this would probably only work for a couple hours' of travel.
"Just saying none of us want to conquer the world won't stop some other idiot from trying."
~Liberty and Justice, by Paul Dini

www.batmanworldblog.blogspot.com

365 Reviews

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:04 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Like, a month, ha.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1272 Reviews

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:09 pm
Rosendorn says...

Yep. The ol' summery card is probably your best option in that case. That, or alter the map so it's a shorter trip. Both are deaus ex machina options. Both work and are used by most (if not all) authors.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:02 am
.:Elf:. says...

Yeah, I have the exact same problem. For around a month they are traveling, non stop! (well yes they do stop some times, but you get the point!) So I have used the summary and only done the really important scenes.

365 Reviews

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:18 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

The thing is, they have to travel for a month or this one character will never have to be forced to reveal something to the other...

But it's annoying because all they do right now is walk around and bitch, sleep, walk, bitch... I'm starting to summarize it up though :)
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1272 Reviews

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

I have a similar thing with the long travel things. My characters are super-secretive so the trips are a must. Hence the two, two-week long travel portions. Total important scenes: five, maybe six. Summery for the rest.

Reviews: 4
Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:01 am
danster724 says...

You can always make travel more interesting by adding in more eventful scenes in travel, make the trips exciting or grow your characters more through dialouge and conversation. If you have anythiing in your story that requires a lot of explaining than have a character explain it while travelling.
"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone you want the rest of your life to begin as soon as possible."

Random avatar

Reviews: 52
Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:41 am
Monument Soul says...

the the uneventful travel portion of you story isn'r working because...well... it's uneventful.

strange and relevent happenings taking place over the travels is a good way to develop character and add new spark to the enviroment through which they are traveling. ( crazy stuff can happen, even on a plane ride)

otherwise you can just pop up a "lil' sumthin' sumthin'" summary.

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson