z

Young Writers Society

Having a problem refining an idea into a story.

Reviews: 1
Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:24 am
Enigmatic_Penguin says...

I came up with a good storyline, but now I can't seem to right it out in story form. I always get side-tracked and don't know what to do next!

And tips?

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:41 am
MeganJ2012 says...

I would suggest more planning.
decide who the main characters are, the idea you are trying to get across to the reader and what events you are sure you want to happen in sequence. Map out what creates the events and what are the results of the event. Make sure you have a climax where nothing is ever the same.
In summary, Try to make a general outline and follow it from their, however, you don't have to stay strictly to the outline, the best ideas come while your writing. good luck!

Reviews: 4
Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:50 am
hamerkid2 says...

Don't ever feel rushed to finish, or even start a story. let it form into exactly what you want it to be then start.
If your ready to start then commit to it, set aside some writing time. get into it, writing is your own expression. your thoughts, ideas, and feeling put into one place.
Not to be bossy or anything, but if you're ready then go for it. don't hold back.
-Hamerkid2

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:06 am
Jon says...

Have you tried to plan out each chaoter, or brainstorm?

Those things should help.

PM me if you have more questions.:D

---Jon---
:D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

Reviews: 1
Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:08 am
Enigmatic_Penguin says...

Thanks everybody. I think mapping it out would help.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 am
Snoink says...

Freewrites are delicious ways to get into your characters mind without them knowing. You make them passionate enough and they'll spill out their secrets to you very quickly.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:10 pm
Fishr says...

Or you can gain insight through your characters through foreplay. *shudders*

Foreplay = fun, exciting and more details one wishes to know in a single sitting. Or, should I say, in bed? :wink:
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:06 pm
Rosendorn says...

I tend to do research to refine my ideas. See what/where I could start off, customs that the place has and how that fits into my story, how I want my character to change, where she (or he) will end up, that sort of thing.

Asking questions is another thing you could do. You have a scene, now you ask: where does it go from there?

And the third thing that got my story off the ground after two and a half years: The Hero's Journey. I read the steps and used that to get my general outline. The story has already strayed from said outline (30 pages in), but it gave me a much needed basic framework.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:42 pm
Icaruss says...

Do a story outline. No, no, no, wait. I have a better idea. Usually, these ideas come with a cool scene already thought out. So, write out that scene. You know, no matter where it is. The end, the middle, the start of the story, just write it. Then, do a story outline. That usually gets the... whatever rolling.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:25 pm
Rosendorn says...

A tie in to the tip above: Write them on index cards (3x5 or 4x6) so it's easier to arrange.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:23 pm
Kia says...

I suggest you free write and just the let the words flow then after your done organize your ideas.

That always worked for me ^^

Reviews: 0
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:27 pm
View Likes
goldilocks182 says...

I'd suggest:
Writing all your ideas down
Linking them all together
Deeloping more ideas on top of that

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina