z

Young Writers Society

Great idea, or just plain stupid?

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 pm
Face Engine says...

Firstly, I'd like to begin by saying that the other story I started writing, "End of Innocence", probably isn't going to get any further any time soon (I'm going to keep my notes and what I've written so far for Chapter 1 in case I ever do return to it). There's many reasons why I've decided to divert my focus away from that (I've been doing some poetry instead), but I decided a couple of days ago that the main reason is the fact that it is too serious and ambitious-for my first long story, I need something a bit more light hearted.

Luckily, I have an idea which I think could be really good, but I know some people would probably think it's downright stupid. So, I'm going to outline what I have in mind, and if you have any thoughts I'd be delighted to hear them:

The general plot is that King Arthur returns from Avalon in the near future to aid Britain in World War Three. It would be fairly light hearted, though there would obviously be a fair bit of violence and such in it. It would also have its comical moments-believe me, I've got some crazy thoughts in my head! I won't say what they are, though-just imagine, King Arthur, in modern times!

It would begin with Arthur waking up from his many many centuries of deep slumber, and he is told by the Lady of the Lake that Britain is in great peril, and he must defend it from the enemy (not sure who that would be-might end up being King Arthur takes on the whole world, to keep it reasonably politically correct).
Of course, he will be faced with a number of dilemmas before he can even be recognised as the ruler of Britain-for starters, he doesn't even speak English (I'm thinking he would have probably spoken Latin, being Romano British-if anyone could confirm this it would be greatly appreciated).
Sadly for Arthur, the authorities never end up recognising him as the rightful ruler of Great Britain, but he eventually comes across his old sword, excalibur, and takes on Britain's army on his own-a one man army (although he will undoubtedly pick up a few followers on the way).

And the rest of it would basically be about Arthur's exploits, deep behind enemy lines, ending with him sacrificing his life for Britain in a super dramatic way (I've already got that thought out-again, some people will love it, some will think it's just stupid).

So it will basically be a fairly light-hearted twist on the Arthurian legends. What do you think?
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of this signature.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:13 pm
Twit says...

he doesn't even speak English (I'm thinking he would have probably spoken Latin, being Romano British-if anyone could confirm this it would be greatly appreciated).

Which legends are you going by? If you're going with the French ones -- Morte d'Arthur and all -- then he might have spoken Latin, or French. If you're going with the Welsh one (which are far cooler) then he would have spoken Welsh or a variant form of that, or Cornish or Latin. As he was a kind of war general (dux bellorum) he would have known Latin, but might not have spoken it as a first language. His first language probably would have been Welsh, as he was raised on the borders of Wales.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:35 am
GryphonFledgling says...

It sounds crazy insane in a completely good way! That is a novel I would totally read!

I'm interested to see how he copes with everything.

Yep yep yep, that's all I have to say. Sounds like a capital idea!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:59 am
thunder_dude7 says...

As long as you plan to catagorize it as a comedy, then yes, that would be cool. If you want to make this a non-comedy, high fantasy novel, then flush this idea down the toilet.

But this would be a very cool comedy.

50 Reviews

Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:33 pm
Face Engine says...

It is intended to be a comedy. There aren't any sections specifically for comedies, to my knowledge, so I'm thinking this would fit best into the Action/Adventure forum(?)

50 Reviews

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Face Engine says...

Just so you know, I probably won't start until saturday or sunday, as I have quite a lot of homework to do. Not that that stopped me from submitting another poem into the Lyric Poetry section 8)

50 Reviews

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:27 pm
Face Engine says...

Agh, I'm having mood swings again. A week ago I was in the perfect mood for something like this, but my hormones seem to be getting the better of me :(

So, what I'm thinking is just starting stories whenever I think of them. That way, if I ever lose the right mood (which I seem to be doing more and more often) I can always go back to it.

Of course, I haven't even started this particular story. I don't have any particular objections to anyone "stealing" this idea-it's probably been done before by someone anyway.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Blink says...

Sounds good, but just thought I'd point something out:

When Arthur was around, there was no Britain or even England. It was Britannia, the name that the Roman's gave to Great Britain.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

I have writer's block. I can't write. It is the will of the gods. Now, I must alphabetize my spice rack.
— Neil Gaiman