z

Young Writers Society

The beginning

Reviews: 1
Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:16 am
denver92 says...

Man guys I have THE worst time trying to start a story, i have detailed chars, good plot laid out, but that first 1 or 2 sentences REALLY get to me.

Any advice? anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Walking together towards what lay beyond, both reach out to the void in-between and grasp what is meant to be forever.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:37 am
W says...

All you need is a vague idea where to start and go from there. It doesn't matter if it's horrible, you'll fix it in the second draft. The important thing now is to just write.
el oh el

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:59 am
View Likes
alwaysawriter says...

You can begin with an interesting desciption or dialogue. Fast moving desciption is fun to read and gets the reader hooked so that they want to read more. I'm not exactly sure why people begin stories with dialogue but I've seen it done many times and have done it myself. Maybe you just want to start with a simple sentence like "The girl shivered as she walked up the hill." and elaborate from there.

As W said, this is only a first draft so don't get too worked up if you can't think of a good beginning.

Anyway, I hope I helped and PM me for anything. :)

-alwayswriter
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:19 pm
Thealyn Rosewolf says...

I know exactly how you feel, I have the same problem.

But actually what I've started doing is just writing down the image I have in my head. Like with my current project, I had a particular scene in my head that I just had to write down. So I did, not even knowing exactly what was going on, or who the characters were, and I ended up leaving it alone for a couple of weeks, but I keep thinking about it. Fifty pages late I'm almost to that original scene and now I have more then I bargained for. I never thought that a story which is all so complicated in my head would form, and that it would come together so beautifully onto paper-or rather on Microsoft Word, but you get the picture.

Give it a try, you never know what might happen.
"I can't stop drinking coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the walking and the standing and the words-putting-into-sentence doing."- Gilmore Girls

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:16 pm
shadowbox says...

I have the same problem, and you know what I do? I don't worry about it. I write what I know I am ready to write. If I have ideas, I write them as they come. You can't force them. I have come to learn that doing so can help you develop new ideas. In choosing an end to a story, you might develop the beginning. Don't worry about it. I've written ten thousand words ( thats no exaggeration) before a beginning popped into my scattered brain.

It's typical go-with-the-flow-advice.

you can only work as fast as your mind will let you and as fast as your hands can type ( or write for you old-fashion folks out there.)

Shadow Box
You can't spell Friend without Feind, my friend.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:15 pm
Rosendorn says...

I usually just write a large chunk of exposition (no dialogue, just discription and summery) for the beginning and go from there. I write every scene that pops into my head in whatever order (you might want to use index cards because it's a little easier to reagenge then Word). Then you fill in the blanks to get an outline. Usually after you've been working on the story long enough you'll find a good place to start. The trick is to start your book at the latest moment possible without loosing the reader. (taken from Naming the World).
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."
— Pablo Neruda