z

Young Writers Society

Editing tips

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:54 am
niccy_v says...

What are your editing tips? I mean not just personal but your selection of 'loved ones' to critique?

RULE ONE
Giving to boyfriend only destroys relationships. usually. Has great potential.
In my case i gave it to the one guy i'd kill myself to keep alive [erm... don't take that seriously. I have *issues*] and what did he say after reading my (personally) fantastic stroke of genius?
"Yeah, it's alright. So boring though and you have no idea about anything you wrote. Seriously take up another hobby, Nic, because i'd burn this if i bought it. or i'd burn myself to get it out of my head."

Well bullet in his heart it is. Mwahahah.

RULE TWO
Keep a timeline.
When i got my good old year 7 teacher to read it she returned it to tell me (apart from being a good start... yay) in the space of 2 days my MC's had 3 near death experiences, travelled across 2 states, the family had two huge arguments, and in the beginning of one chapter they wouldn't have intimate relationship, yet by the end of that chapter the girl was saying that should've been the first time.
Erm. Yes.
I'm a terrible writer, i get that now :oops:

What are your editing tips?
Writing gives my life purpose

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:21 pm
Carlito says...

I always find that it helps when I read things out loud. When you read it to yourself silently it's easy to skip over words or things that could be better. When you read it out loud you can pick up the things that don't flow very well or sound funny.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.
— Brandon Sanderson, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians