z

Young Writers Society

Self-Publishing

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:23 pm
Turntable Jack says...

I am working on my first book that I want to publish, but I want to self-publish it for several reasons. One, it is my first book and I don't want to deal with publishers right now. Two, I am going to be only 18 when the books is done. Three, this will let me have something in my portfolio when I do want to publish with a company.

Anyways, what companies do you all recommend for self-publishing. I have heard great things about lulu.com. Can anyone tell me about the, Also, my intentions are to sell this book on major websites like amazon.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:31 pm
Sureal says...

Lulu is certainly good. You can self publish it for free, and for a fair fee you can give it a barcode and have it put on Amazon and all the big book-selling websites.

With every other self publishing company I've heard of, it costs you more than the lulu.com barcode fee just to get the book published (and not appear on any websites).

One thing I have to correct you on though: self publishing a book won't give you any extra credit when it comes to publishing with a mainstream publisher, as anyone, regardless of talent, can self publish. The only exception is if your self published book sells extremely well (which is very unlikely, as you've got to handle all the marketing yourself).
I wrote the above just for you.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:54 pm
Turntable Jack says...

well, even if it doesn't help me in their vies, it will definitely help me personally. Also, the other place I am looking at is createspace.com

So if anyone else can give me extra information on lulu and createspace (by amazon) and how they are, that will be great.

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:11 am
TheWordsmith says...

Well, I wish you luck with that. I don't know about createspace.com or lulu, but I'm kinda an expert on publishing and marketing in general. If you need anything like that, feel free to PM me.
Bad spellars of the world, untie! - T-shirt

Join iSpy! Click here!

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:40 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Try Trafford. They give you full control over what the cover looks like and how the book is printed. They seem pretty reliable.

Good luck!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

I know where the wall goes.
— Creed, the Office