z

Young Writers Society

Quick Plot Feedback For the Win

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:08 am
Kang227 says...

I don't want to give TOO much away, but I wanted some feedback on the general premise...

Asgard, Olympus, and the Ennead (for those who don't have mythology 411, that's a fancy name for the Egyptian deities) are locked in a bitter three-way struggle--but change is on the horizon. Thor, commander of the AESIR (Asgard Elite Special Infantry Regiment) is well on his way to reaching Olympus and defeating one of their deadliest foes. His progress is hindered only by his own inner struggle; strange dreams plague him at night; dreams where he wields a hammer, not a rifle, against an unknown foe.

In Olympus, a woman named Athena also dreams, and begins to investigate the one taboo common to all three societies; the mystery of the past. How did the war begin? Who was responsible? And why does everyone she meet seem almost forcefully ignorant of their roots?

Finally, in Heliopolis, there lives a man who guards the neutral, maximum-security prison at Tartarus. Anubis also dreams of an ancient battlefield, but to him they are nightmares, visions where he is hatefully transformed into a jackal-like creature.

Drawn unwillingly by fate and fortune, these three will converge upon the mystery at Tartarus--and the terrible truth about their common foe.

Yeah...this is what I call a 'convergent mythology' series, which combines the major world mythologies into one storyline. Many of the names and concepts are the same, or are combined and reworked to intermix the different legends together. Some are literal, such as (eventually) Mjolnir (Thor's hammer). Others are figurative, like Fimbulwinter: in myth, it is the long, dark winter where 'brother will fight brother'. In the book, it is literally the war between these groups.
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

Random avatar

Reviews: 38
Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 pm
Squishy says...

okay

I myself am quite the mythology buff and find it interesting that you are converging all major myths into one story

This will be brilliant as each individual deity (Ennead, Juno, Jupiter) are such interesting people to write about. Think, Jupiter can have a fling with an Egyptian goddess!

i like the story, hard to follow the plot since you left a little to the imagination, and I'm looking for ward to development on this one.

I would, though, for the sake of clarity, keep the gods on the mountains they belong on. Thor (German? Scandinavian?) shouldn't be chillin on Olympus, leave that to Hera and Zeus.

His progress is hindered only by his own inner struggle; strange dreams plague him at night; dreams where he wields a hammer, not a rifle, against an unknown foe

I'd leave out the rifle if this is supposed to be set in the correct time frame. if this is modern day, though, put it in by all means!

PM me if this goes up on YWS because I would love to read and review it! to fellow myth buffs like me, good luck!
"All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. "

"No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that."

Random avatar

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:07 am
Kang227 says...

Well, the war is fought with guns and technology, but it's actually a construct, a solid fiction created by their enemy (who is not from mythology, but my own summation of evil). To give a little more plot away, the gods used to be allies; they chilled, they mingled, they were good buddies (actually, Horus was one of Aphrodite's lovers. I'm not sure how that worked with the whole falcon-head situation, but I don't ask questions).

The gods from the three main groups (and other smaller but still respectable groups, like the Mayan/Aztec deities) fought against this ultimate-evil-type character and barely managed to imprison him, but not before he (with the help of his followers, a group called the Titans (ain't I a stinker?)) could create this fictional overlay and false war.

For more info, the Titans aren't quite the group from Greek mythology--it consists of gods like Loki, Nemesis, Tiamat (the dragon-ish embodiment of chaos from Babylonian myth), Kronos, That damn Aztec god whose name I cannot pronounce or spell (Huisomething, I just call him Huey), and others. There are other non-gods in there, like Fenrir and Jormungand, as well. Some of them are dead, some are imprisoned, and some...well, some are out there playing the system.

To COMPLETELY give more stuff away, the first book (because this would span at least two) would be titled Aeon, the second Epoch. However, the first book's title refers to both the great span of time and is the name for my representation of God (as in THE God, the opposite of the Mr.-Bad-Face).
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

Random avatar

Reviews: 38
Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:48 pm
Squishy says...

i like it! muy bueno!

pm me when you get this up! very excited.

question though, this is started to sound like a story i thought up a while ago. Does, for chance, the big God (THE god) start weeding out the dieties? because if in your story He did, I would be sad. :cry:
"All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. "

"No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that."

Random avatar

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:36 am
Kang227 says...

Squishy wrote:i like it! muy bueno!

pm me when you get this up! very excited.

question though, this is started to sound like a story i thought up a while ago. Does, for chance, the big God (THE god) start weeding out the dieties? because if in your story He did, I would be sad. :cry:

Weeding out? In what way?

If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there.
— George Harrison