z

Young Writers Society

How can this be?

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:28 pm
Bickazer says...

That's right, I've got an idea where I have characters with motivations, and a workable premise...but for the life of me I can't think of a plot.

Part of me feels that this should be a warning sign I should abandon the whole idea--but I've already grown enormously attached to both the characters in the premise, and I want very much to work an appropriately epic plot using them. The only problem is, I have no idea what that should be.

I'm also finding it nigh-near-impossible to think of names, but this isn't surprising as this is an affliction I'm all too used to. How do other speculative fiction writers do it? I just can't for the life of me come up with proper names.

But without further ado...here's what I have so far: Premise, and characters.

Premise
The story takes place in the future where humanity has spread to the stars and formed an alliance of planets tenatively known as "The Coalition of Worlds", a name I felt has been used before...anyway, the "Coalition" is run mostly by "patricians", who unfortunately bear too much resemblance to Asimov's Spacers at the moment. Patricians are humans genetically engineered to be "perfect" and they dominate the elite. They don't breed by natural increase, but instead genetically engineer each and every one to be utterly perfect in every way. Of course, there are mistakes in the creation process, which will factor in the plot...

The "Coalition" as it's spread has begun to encounter the crumbling, fading remnants of a former great Galactic empire. The "natives" are too powerless now to resist continuing human encroachment, and so the humans simply consider them obstacles to sweep aside as they spread through the stars. Yes, it's meant to have shades of Manifest Destiny.

One planet in particular has proven a contentious area--a planet newly admitted into the Coalition, and already falling apart at its seams. And has yet to be named. The planet has a beautiful, dense jungle reminiscent of Southeast Asia, and is caught in the grip of anarchy and civil war, a three-way conflict between the planet's formal government, armed guerillas, and the planet's natives, more powerful than they are on any other planet. This planet's conflict is central to the "plot", whatever it is.

Characters
There are four main, narrating characters, who alternate first person narrations with widely differing styles. My hope is that if you flip to any page in the book and scan just a little bit, you should automatically be able to tell who's speaking; that's how distinct I intend to make their voices. They all contribute to the main story.

Alistair "Al" Paress is a 17, almost 18, year old patrician. He's constantly in ill health, because the geneticist working on him screwed up early in his creation--as such, Al has the ability to see glimpes of the future (I'm not sure about this; his power is subject to change), but it shortens his life every time he uses it. A bad thing, since he can't control it. Starts off idealistic, believing his benevolent patrician-hood can uplift the galaxy's poor and destitute...leading him to take his "youth tour" (a tradition where patrician youths visit planets and learn leadership skills) in the main planet that needs a name. His narration is bureaucratic and almost pompous at the beginning, but later becomes starker and more emotional.

Leera is 16, a wild girl living in the main planet's jungles. Leera makes a living hunting and foraging in the forest, and is largely content with her lot...though she does vaguely remember her family, and definitely remembers the atrocities rebel soldiers committed on them. Because of this, Leera harbors a deep, visceral hatred of the soldiers, and turns into a spitting, wild animal when confronting them--her "blood-rage", incited by strong emotions. Her narration is sharp and sparse and pointed, but also poetic in a naturalistic way. It becomes more sophisticated and descriptive as the story continues.

Kelly Byney is 8, the a poor, working-class family seeking to immigrate to another planet for work. She moves with her parents and siblings on a huge spaceship (that needs a name), together with tons of other immigrants, but the ship is waylaid by an alien attack. Kelly is fairly naive and innocent, but already she's seen more suffering than most girls her age, and is aware of the cruelty of the world. Her narration is simple and innocent and charming, but holds surprisingly sophisticated thoughts.

Jona Kegg(s) is 12. For all appearances, a normal boy living in a normal suburban district on a normal world. However, Jona is a half-breed, half-human half native, and his father has left him. As such, insensitive classmates have often teased him, something that made him closed and reticent. He does open up to a few, but not many. Intelligent and observant, with a strong sense of morals. He often interjects dry/witty observations in his narration. At first, it's more detached, but later grows much more intimate and personal. I'm unsure about whether his last name should have an "s" or not.

Those are the viewpoint characters. They all meet up eventually. I haven't thought of many other main characters. I know Dr. Nicholas Legardo, the geneticist who worked on Al and may have a connection to Jona and Leera, plays a central part in the story but since it has no plot yet I'm not sure exactly what he does. I feel he plays off and double-crosses all three sides in the conflict--the Coalition-backed government, the rebels, and the natives, for his own purposes of ending the Coalition. Other than that, I'm very nebulous.

Sorry for the long post...but I've fallen very deeply in love with the premise and the characters, and feel it's a shame (and a testament to my own limited imagination, I'm sure) that it doesn't have a plot yet. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on wrangling a plot from this--I'm sure to use your comments as a springboard, at the very least, for an actual plot. So fire away! :D And thanking you all in advance.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:42 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I like this. You have some very nice ideas and a variety of characters.

As is, I'm seeing character driven-plot, because I have little else to work with. I'm thinking that the three main characters introduce Al to there own way of life. I'll try to think of something.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:06 am
W says...

The planet thing sounds cool. The Galactic Empire made me think of Star Wars, though. : (

Also:

Kelly Byney is 8, the a poor, working-class family seeking to immigrate to another planet for work. She moves with her parents and siblings on a huge spaceship (that needs a name), together with tons of other immigrants, but the ship is waylaid by an alien attack. Kelly is fairly naive and innocent, but already she's seen more suffering than most girls her age, and is aware of the cruelty of the world. Her narration is simple and innocent and charming, but holds surprisingly sophisticated thoughts.

You should be careful when you talk about an 8 year-old having sophisticated thoughts. When I was 8 I barely had enough of an attention span to tie my shoes, let alone ponder any inter-galactic space drama. It's very easy to make an adult character out of a child, usually by adding in complicated vocabulary for eight-year olds, like malicous or viciously, or even nouns like metropolis.
el oh el

157 Reviews

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:35 pm
Bickazer says...

Thank you all for the suggestions. :)

I'm thinking that the three main characters introduce Al to there own way of life.

Indeed, they probably will (though that's not the main plot). Al's maturation is probably one of the most important themes of the book so far...I honestly don't intend for him to be hate-worthy; he may not be very likeable at the beginning but at the very least you can understand him. I mean, he was brought up that way, so he doesn't know any different. As the story progresses he matures, into at once a conscientious, strong leader and (more negatively) into someone more bitter, jaded, and aware of his own helplessness in the grand scheme of things. All the characters change, but I believe Al's development is the most drastic/important.

You should be careful when you talk about an 8 year-old having sophisticated thoughts. When I was 8 I barely had enough of an attention span to tie my shoes, let alone ponder any inter-galactic space drama. It's very easy to make an adult character out of a child, usually by adding in complicated vocabulary for eight-year olds, like malicous or viciously, or even nouns like metropolis.

I understand perfectly what you mean, don't worry. :) In fact, Kelly's voice has been the hardest for me to define so far precisely because of that reason. I mean, I don't want to make her sound stupid, but at the same time I don't want to make her sound like an adult in a kid's body. I still believe it's possible for children to have sophisticated thoughts and be able to express them even in childish prose--one of my favorite examples, and certainly most well-done, is Ruth May's narration in The Poisonwood Bible. She's only five and much of her narration is irrelevant and simple, but at the same time you can tell there are deeper, more sophisicated thoughts behind her words. Oh, I just love that book to pieces. :D But yeah, anyway, while it might be difficult I don't think it's impossible to write a child to be both, well, childish, and sophisticated. We shall see.

I need more comments on plot, please...:D Because that's where I'm really struggling. >_>

EDIT: Just to get a feel for the story I started writing anyway, and I think I've pounded out a preliminary version of a potential prologue. So I will post that soon. It may change as I come up with an actual plot, but I'm happy that I've started work on this in the first place.

Random avatar

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Ah, you have an example to work with on that. Well, study what makes the tone so good. That's how I read: I think of what I really enjoyed, then go to those scenes. For example, if they do good action scenes, I go to one of those. Study what makes it good, then try and do it yourself. There's no magic formula, but you can get an idea of what to do from others.

Now, plot.

The three of them live very different life styles. Try to incorperate some growth in Kelly. Jona opens up to the others. Leera becomes more sophisticated(though you want to keep the wild spirit in her, to maintain her voice).

Now, actual plot.

In order for them to achieve growth, you need them to spend time together - maybe only with the four of them.

I'll try and think of more details. Keep thinking and you'll hopefully get inspired.

157 Reviews

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:41 am
Bickazer says...

The three of them live very different life styles. Try to incorperate some growth in Kelly. Jona opens up to the others. Leera becomes more sophisticated(though you want to keep the wild spirit in her, to maintain her voice).

Yeah, that's precisely what I was thinking of doing. ^^ You can't have a good novel without character development, so I intend to develop all four of my narrators. That's pretty much a given.

In order for them to achieve growth, you need them to spend time together - maybe only with the four of them.

Well...haaaa...the way I was imagining it, Al, Leera, and Kelly meet Jona last. Like, in the final third of the novel. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, though; maybe you're right and I need to bring them all together sooner. I was thinking, in order, that Al met Leera first, and then Kelly, and finally Jona.

BTW, this will be the first novel in a trilogy...so all four will be able to develop and fluorish over three books. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Thanks so much for the help. :D I think I'm pretty solid on the characters...what I'm having trouble with is coming up with the main, grandiose plot involving the planet and Dr. Legardo and so on. >_> Epic is so hard to do...but I love epic things. The Poisonwood Bible, Avatar, Foundation, Journey's End...>_> Soooo yeah. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it greatly--it might get the gears in my mind unstuck and open to possibilities I hadn't considered before.

Random avatar

Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:00 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Avatar? You mean the one where everybody's dead except a few teenagers? I've seen that, I wanted to read it.

As for plot...

How about this? Al, because of his meetings with the three other characters, has seen all sorts of different ways of life. Dr. Lengardo has not. Al, seeing this, decides that the patricians should stop being genetically altered so that they don't feel so superior to the regular people. Dr. Lengardo is absolutly opposed, thinking that only perfect beings should rule.

This conflict eventually results in Al being removed from the royal body, and a new patrician is made to replace him. Al becomes furious and goes to confront Dr. Lengardo about it with his friends, but they are accussed of trespassing - which they were - and thrown in jail. Al gives up all hope, but Kelly says that she has made it through a lot of hard times, and she never gave up(all in a cute little girly voice that would make you want to hug her). Leera uses her unique skills to break some bars that allow them to escape outside. Some guards see them, but they manage to flee.

Now fugitives, Al must somehow return and reclaim his position. Or at least do something important.

I'll let you figure out that part.

Oh, and if you use this, I want credit.

Just kidding!

157 Reviews

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:31 pm
Bickazer says...

Oh, no, by "Avatar" I meant the TV show, "Avatar: The Last Airbender". Sorry for the confusion. It's a very good show, by the way! :D

As for your plot, it certainly sounds interesting, although...

Dr. Legardo actually opposes the patrician oligarchy. =/ I guess I haven't really made his character clear, so I guess I will. He's kind of...he's a fascinating character, despite being only the viewpoint character for the prologue. Here's his current bio in my WordPad file for this idea:

Dr. Nicholas Legardo is a prominent geneticist. He worked on Al, and in fact works with many patricians. But he's become convinced of Coaliation cruelty and has defected and is determined to help the natives reclaim their lost planets and glory. Um, let's see--he's so far connected to Al and Jona in a large way, as he was the one who for all purposes "created" Al, and he also worked with Jona's mother, giving her (and Jona's father) the therapy required for the two races to breed. Legardo implies he loved Jona's mother, and this was as best he could come to having a child with her as he himself is sterile, trapped in basically a child-like condition after suffering a certain kind of fever on the jungle world that stops puberty in adolescents...or something like that. >_> Er, okay, he's also involved with Leera in that he comes to examine her after she is taken prisoner, and he and Leera cultivate a kind of love-hate relationship.

It's all nebulous, but yeah...the point is that Legardo is actually the kind of character who'd do the opposing Al would do in your plot. =/

If it helps, I've got a basic list of events already, but...I still haven't decided on an overarching plot. I'm horrible, yeah....>_>

BASIC LIST OF EVENTS
Legardo visits Al's family for dinner. Al decides on his Youth Tour.
Leera is introduced. She kills several rebel soldiers in her blood-rage.
Al arrives on the planet and meets its governor.
Leera is captured by Dr. Legardo (?). <--this part is nebulous
Al hears about Leera. He's irritated no one told him. Leera is passed into his possession.
Kelly is introduced. She meets Jona on the spaceship.
Jona introduces himself. The ship is attacked. He and Kelly race for a safety pod.
Al and Leera converse a lot, get to know each other, etc.
Um...from then on a mass of vagueness. >_> Jona and Kelly get to know each other but get separated. Kelly meets Al and Leera and travels with them. All four kids end up getting embroiled in Legardo's plot, whatever the 'ell that plot may be.
Al, Leera, and Legardo argue about how to fix the planet.
Jona and Legardo need a confrontation, where Jona learns about Legardo's connection with his mother.
Al "celebrates" his eighteenth. He's unhappy about it. He and Leera have a very tender moment. Awww.
Jona is the last to meet Al. He's disappointed when he does.
Either before or after he meets Al, Jona meets with a group of natives in the forest and participates in one of their rituals. Afterwards he realizes it's the first time he ever felt like he belonged anywhere.
In the epilogue, the children leave the Coalition with a mysterious "Kiane", who works for Legardo, deciding to head deep in the native empire territory and follow Legardo...but their own path as well. The epilogue is in present tense and is narrated by Leera.

Yeah...hope this helps. Thank you all for assisting me; I really want to see this idea to fruition and I need all the help I can get. So...:D

157 Reviews

Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:07 am
Bickazer says...

Okay, sorry for the double post, but I've been thinking about this idea a LOT and have come up with quite a plenty brainstormings for it--

It still (still!) has no title, but I'm now more confident about the plot, to the point where if I start writing I can probably fill in the plot on my own (?). Kinda. Jona's still giving me spasms, but whatever.

First of all, I've amended Kelly's backstory quite a bit, mostly to connect her more to Legardo (all the main characters need connections to Legardo; something I'm starting to fear Leera lacks). So here's Kelly's new backstory (copied and pasted from the WordPad file, so excuse any roughness):

Kelly is actually Legardo's niece. How's that work out? Well...Nicky Legardo's youngest sister, Joan, came to Kelly's tenement around eight/nine years ago for the sake of goodwill work (Joan was around 22). Joan ended up falling in love with Rob Byney, a poor tenement resident, and even married and had a child with him...but then Joan left, for reasons I still need to puzzle out (I'm horrible, aren't I?). I think it's a sort of "duty calls" situation but I haven't got the details puzzled out. Kelly was then raised by her aunt and uncle (her dad died in an epidemic). Jona meets Joan (...) in the actual story and discovers Kelly's past, but decides not to tell Kelly about it since "I already hate Joan Legardo enough for the both of us." Yeah, he gets angry at her...he's touchy about parental abandoment since his own dad abandoned him.

Actually, I've thought up a storm about Legardo's siblings in general, but their story will go into a prequel. Now, on to the main update--

World (er, Galaxy)
The human-run Coalition of Worlds covers twenty-five formal members, and around ten-to-thirteen territories. The world the main action takes place on, Van Lang, is a territory at the fringes of the Coalition. The Coalition's capital world is Earth. Through emigration, forced or voluntary, the commoners have been forced to leave Earth completely, save a few forlorn enclaves, and is now the exclusive territory of the patricians. The capital-capital is NYC. Al and friends visit Earth during the course of the first novel.

"Los pigmeos" are the aliens, so named because they were first discovered by a group of colonists from La Plata. They are smaller than humans, obviously, and come in as great a variety of colors as humans, though notably more earth-like/off. For the purposes of the story they have to be unfortunately rather humanoid. They have flatter faces with no noses, just nostril slits, and eyes somewhat larger than humans and only one color (?). Notably possess three claw-like fingers on each hand. Very fast and skittish. They have a sharper sense of hearing and can "sense" each other. They're very connected to nature. Obviously, this is all very preliminary.

The main planet is Van Lang, settled mainly by people from nearby New Annam. It's mostly covered with a dense, lush jungle, and while a few cities have sprouted, most of the populace lives in little villages and practices subsistence agriculture. A very rough place to eke out a living. The world is home to the settlers, who are divided in two groups--the government supporters, and the rebels who insist the government's unjust but really use it as an excuse to kill anything in their path (the way most rebellions turn out). Also, the world houses a substantial pigmeo population, much larger and powerful than it is on any other planet. Thus both the rebels and the regulars attack the pigmeos with an unparalleled vitriol.

Plot

The actual series takes the form of three novels. The overarching theme is humanity (the Coalition) joining the main galactic alliance of races and planets, and having to struggle to overcome their own inequities and prejudices (particularly in regards to the pigmeos) in order to become accepted. Very...political-ish stuff, but starting from the second book will have strong elements of a "first contact" story, which is one of my favorite kind of science fiction stories. I'm already delighting in thinking of aliens...

The first novel is entirely set in the Coalition, and only concerns the Coalition. It involves Legardo's conspiracy, which is an ambitious plan to fix things on Van Lang playing the three sides off each other (rebel, government, and pigmeos). Though he's obviously mostly sympathetic to the pigmeos. Legardo wants the Coalition to fix Van Lang because unknown to everyone in the Coalition, he's managed to travel to the alien alliance and is trying to convince them to accept the Coalition as members. The alliance is skeptical because the Coalition can't even control one of its own worlds and has been treating the pigmeos badly. The children only find out about Legardo's ultimate plot until near the very end, when they're distressed because they're convinced their efforts are a waste. Thus it has kind of a downer ending...because they don't really succeed in fixing Van Lang. Well, Leera does kill Van Lang's amoral governor. Anyway, the novel ends with the children deciding to leave the Coalition with "Kiane", a strange young man who claims to work for Legardo and will take them to the alien alliance.

The second novel spans three years, and much as the first novel centers around Al (despite being told in four distinct voices), the second novel centers around Kiane (pronounced KEE-ah-nay). Kiane is...a shapeshifting alien who currently bears the form of a dark-skinned, silver-haired, silver-eyed boy. More on him later. It involves the kids (and occasionally Legardo) struggling through alien politics in an attempt to get the Coalition to join the alien alliance. They do succeed, but it takes a long time and a high toll (particularly on Al, who's acting as their main ambassdor/diplomat). Um...I have a feeling this plot is a little boring (particularly if it's just politics), so yeah. It's very preliminary though.

This post's getting a little long so I'll save the third book and Kiane's profile for the next post. In the meantime, I'm just heartened I'm making progress on planning this whole trilogy. Even if it has no name yet. :)

Hail Hydra
— Stan Lee