z

Young Writers Society

Choose a hero

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:43 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

True. Gods/Goddesses can be very hard to pull off.

A good example of non-mary-sue gods/goddesses...I can't think of one besides Fire Emblem. They pulled off imperfect goddesses perfectly(no pun intended).

Basically, they made them human. They may be able to succeed greatly, but they can also destroy the world in one emotional outburst.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:02 pm
ButterFlyInk says...

a dragon or maybe half dragon/half human?
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:59 pm
TheWordsmith says...

A psycic bug.

Sorry, but even though I like all the charectors you gave, I keep coming up with the idea that something different would be good. Hence, the psycic bug, or baby with all the knowledge of the world, or a wise old power stuck in a six-year-old body... The list goes on and on.
Bad spellars of the world, untie! - T-shirt

Join iSpy! Click here!

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:13 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

a dragon or maybe half dragon/half human?

If you decide to do that, do NOT refer to the race as "half dragon". That gets annoying.

Reviews: 4
Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:19 pm
danster724 says...

Originality is key do your own thing, or take something that's been done and make it new. "we will never find the new unless we're willing to get a little bit crazy" need for madness radical play.com.
"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone you want the rest of your life to begin as soon as possible."

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:46 pm
Icaruss says...

And how can someone be a half-dragon anyways? Aren't dragons really big? How can a woman have sex with a dragon? That's impossible, not to mention quite perverted.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:08 pm
Matt3187 says...

I think an interesting hero depends more on thier background, thoughs, goals, emotions memories etc
than on thier race.

But id go with the dragon anyway :)

Reviews: 1
Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:41 am
denver92 says...

I dont care how cliche'd people say "dragons" or "wizards" or anything like that are. If you wrap an interesting story-line around it and a good personality you can have ANYTHING as your MC.

Oh and he probably didnt mean a half dragon half man LITERALLY

i can find it very sensable that a man has powers to turn into a dragon and is connected to a long lineage of half-dragon half-men family. i think that would make for a great story!

hmmmmm....... ;)

Oh and my favorite are "Demi-Gods" They are lesser gods without the ultimate power of taking everything away..

I think it brings out a HUGE space to make up your own story-line.
Walking together towards what lay beyond, both reach out to the void in-between and grasp what is meant to be forever.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:33 am
W says...

denver92 wrote:Oh and my favorite are "Demi-Gods" They are lesser gods without the ultimate power of taking everything away..

I think it brings out a HUGE space to make up your own story-line.

Demi-gods are the sons/daughters of a god(goddess) and a human. You're probably just thinking like the minor gods of Greek Mythology like Ino, who had control over the sea like Poseidon, but not the drastic power to flood cities, or threaten continents.

I'm actually thinking of doing a POV from a god's perspective. The twist is though that he's trying to take over the world and rebel the fellow deities, save for a few supporters that believe in him. I wonder whether, cause of the circumstances, I'll make him too human, and forget he still has these crazy dimension-bending powers at his disposal

But you know, the gods in Homer's short stories and poems were hardly perfect. They got in fights over the pickiest things, got angry and reacted just like a human would, except Zeus or whatever god of the day could use his superpowers to do whatever he wanted to. When Zeus caught Hera trying to betray him, he couldn't just call the town assembly and get her beheaded. He acted just like any human would in the Ancient Greek times and used his power to hang her from the clouds by golden chains, her moans of pain being the whistle we hear in the wind. They acted just like any Greek human at the time; getting jealous of who was to be 'the fairst of them all', Athena angered that Arachnid could weave better than her, Zeus mad that Prometheus had given man fire.

Athena, instead of walking away helpless like a normal woman, turned Arachnid into a spider, and Zeus, not wanting to just kill him as he could only do as human, wanted Prometheus to suffer eternally and bound him in chains at the top of Mount Olympus. They're just abusing their powers to meet their own ends just like any sane person would do in Ancient Greece.

Of course, we're a long way from then. Gods shouldn't at all be be based soley on Homer's epics, but it does provide an interesting perspective on how a legion of monumentusly powerful deities could even be depicted in literature.

The gods' themselves were hardly well written, though. Almost all of them had such shallow and predictable personalities it's hard to imagine anyone acting like that today.

How would modern gods act then? Would they be aware of the world's technologies and feel dated? If we're talking about gods with real, substantial personas and not "high in the sky watching peacefully" angel-like figures, how would, say, Athena feel about coming down to earth when just one of billions said they were better than her? The Odyessy gods never seemed to even go beyond Greece, totally isolating themselves from the outside world. The very idea of a bunch of touchy spirits that whipped up storms whenever they were angry or threw thunderbolts at specific humans they felt just so insulted by would be totally outrageous in todays society.

Gods themselves should be totally open to interpretation. If your trying to write form a god's point of view and make him a realm, developed character in today's age, you just can't just ignore things like how many thousands of years old they are and how they would react to what we have today. The point is, even gods have flaws or they're not going to be an interesting character to write about, period.
el oh el

And don't forget it's hydrate or diedrate
— zaminami