z

Young Writers Society

Different Types of Publication

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:23 am
Ophelia.Stornoway says...

I'm completely new here, so forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what people here think about the different options available to an author trying to get her or his book published these days.

I've heard a variety of arguments from either side in favour of both self-publishing and traditional publishing. Most of them seem to revolve around prestige, accomplishment and a broad distribution vs. self-control over the publishing process and personal disagreements with the way the traditional publishing world works.

I myself do not think I will ever self-publish, unless the publication is a personal piece for friends and family not meant for wide distribution. The short stories I've had published have all been sold to ezines and magazines that work by a process of picking and choosing, not by heaving up the sluch pile and hoping to make a quick buck off hapless authors. If I ever finish a full-length novel, I will hawk it around NZ's various publishing houses - and if it fails to garner any interest, I will keep writing, and improve my storytelling ability. I don't think that publishing something by myself, or paying someone to do it for me, would count for me as a success.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:48 am
thunder_dude7 says...

True. Because publishers want to make money themselves, a selective process allows you to "screen" for any problems with your novel.

The example you gave in the third paragraph of your post would be a third type of publishing: Vanity publishing. This is where you send in your novel, collection of poetry, whatever, and order a certain number of copies to distrubute. This will not make you any money, and will actually cost money.

Now, when you self-publish, nobody will be rerjected, because the only company you're working with is the printing company. Other than that, you have to do all the marketing and everything. I know nothing about marketing or any of the other stuff an agent and traditional publisher would do, so I choose them to do it for me.

Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus