z

Young Writers Society

My Publisher Dropped Me Today...

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:36 pm
BrooxBroox says...

BAD NEWS:
Today, my publisher dropped me because of my age! Can you believe it???!!! They loved my novel and had my manuscript in the process of publication, then when they discovered that I'm 17, they dropped me and my book. :evil: I'm sooo livid right now!!!

There are countless authors out there who are teens, tweens, and even children! I just do not understand why they dropped me because of my age, especially after my mother agreed to co-sign the contract!

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:50 pm
Angel of Death says...

Don't think this was the right place to post this but that sucks. Are you sure they dropped you because of your age? If they did then you shouldn't just let that pass. Its age discrimination, and I agree, there have been writer's younger than you. So that doesn't make sense. I wish you all the luck and I hope you find justice. (sorry for the lame-ness of that last sentence)

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:55 pm
Emerson says...

Hmmm I'm not sure if this is the right place but at the same time I'm not sure where it would go! Oh, I'll just move it to writer's corner, I suppose.

What did they say in the rejection letter? It doesn't seem too ridiculous, since there are some laws on contracting minors and so forth...what publishing company was it, out of curiousity?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:22 pm
Spirrus says...

That's not fair :?

Get over there and bitchslap them until they get you published :evil:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:50 pm
ankhirke says...

That really sucks. And it may be illegal; start looking at your options.

Do you have an agent? Or they pick you up directly? And next time you speak to the pub, point out Eragon. (not comparing you, but geez, THAT got published).

~Annie

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:32 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

That's not fair :x I mean, it's hard to make contracts with teens due to all the laws around it, but after they accepted the manuscript.

And next time you speak to the pub, point out Eragon. (not comparing you, but geez, THAT got published).

Actually, it was self-published originally. When the publisher saw it, they hated it, but it was selling well.

Anything to make money, eh?

Random avatar

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:34 am
BrooxBroox says...

UPDATE:

My agent just got the president of a smaller publishing company which is based out of Kansas to take my manuscript. Their youngest three authors are ages 8,9, and 17, and the president wants a hard copy of manuscript immediately. I'm mailing it out first thing tomorrow.

Even though this publisher is smaller than the one I had, they allow the author to be more involved, pay generous royalties, and distribute both to online stores and in brick-and-mortar retailers.

Smaller is better than nothing at all...
Last edited by BrooxBroox on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:36 am
BrooxBroox says...

Angel of Death wrote:Don't think this was the right place to post this but that sucks. Are you sure they dropped you because of your age? If they did then you shouldn't just let that pass. Its age discrimination, and I agree, there have been writer's younger than you. So that doesn't make sense. I wish you all the luck and I hope you find justice. (sorry for the lame-ness of that last sentence)

~Angel
I'm sure. They emailed me and said they couldn't hold anyone to a contract who was under age 18, regardless of whether or not a parent co-signed.

Random avatar

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:40 am
BrooxBroox says...

Suzanne wrote:Hmmm I'm not sure if this is the right place but at the same time I'm not sure where it would go! Oh, I'll just move it to writer's corner, I suppose.

What did they say in the rejection letter? It doesn't seem too ridiculous, since there are some laws on contracting minors and so forth...what publishing company was it, out of curiousity?
It was PublishAmerica. I know they have tons and tons of horrible reviews, but I know someone who got 2 books published by them and he was extremely happy with them.

Now I'm with AAPC through Ethan Ellenberg Agency.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:35 am
Emerson says...

Ah, Publish America?

:D They're not trust worthy anyway. I'm sorry to hear you got sucked into their vortex of lies! I'd rather be rejected by them anyway. You said "horrible reviews" but in truth it means they're a dirty company. Well, in some respects. Sure, you can get books published through them, but they probably won't be bought by anyone, no matter how good.

Good luck next time!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:28 pm
Galerius says...

Ethan Ellenberg agency wanted to sign a contract with PublishAmerica? That doesn't make sense...the agency has a good reputation and I don't see how they, of all people, would be tricked into getting one of their authors with such a suspicious publisher.

You need to talk to your agent about that, pronto...

Random avatar

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:41 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Well, at least you have your agent and an actualy publishing company. PublishAmerica...hehe...be very glad they rejected you. They would have taken your money and not sold your book anyway.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:46 pm
Snoink says...

I'm glad you're with a better group. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:50 pm
View Likes
Blink says...

Yup, I agree with everyone here.

Has the website died or something? Every time I try to get onto it says connection failed :(

But ye, all is good. Be sure to do some research on this group before you commit, however. I have suspicions on this agent of yours.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

Random avatar

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:33 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Oh...your agent actually signed you you PublishAmerica?

Get out of this. Now.

Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence