z

Young Writers Society

My Publisher Dropped Me Today...

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:55 pm
lucafont90 says...

You don't need an agent for PublishAmerica. I made the ENORMOUS mistake of publishing my first novel with them. Horrible company. I wish that I had never published with them and I didn't even have an agent.

Get out of this...it is apparent that your agent hasn't done his/her research.

I was stupid enough to publish with them. You can learn from this. Don't be an idiot like I was. Do the work.
I am a published author with two novels on the market.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:52 pm
lxtmidnight says...

PublishAmerica did you a favor! Congrats on the new publisher!
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
-Cyril Connolly

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:40 pm
Lord Anzius says...

I'm not american so could someone tell me what is publishamerica.....

And congratz for the new publisher
To copy reality is good... But to create reality is much, much better.
-Giuseppe Verdi-

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:23 pm
Blink says...

Well, it's an horrendously corrupt vanity press. They tried to create PublishBritannica a few years back, but were sued.

Type it into google/wikipedia.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:59 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Yeah. Type it in Google, and you should see one of the first results a site labeled "Don't Use PublishAmerica". That provides a complete explanation of why they are corrupt.

In a nutshell, they claim to have no fees for publishing, which makes sense, and any other commercial publisher can match that. However, they charge a very high price for the author buying copies of it. They claim to only publish a fraction of the applications sent to them, but really, the only time they reject a book is when the author seems to have no interest in buying a lot of their own books, as that's where they make money.

That makes me think that his age was a reason to reject him because, as a minor, he likely wouldn't have the money to purchase his book, which wasn't a concern before he sent in his book. Besides, they accept everything sent in, so it makes sense that they loved a book with any skill at all involved.

Which reminds me, drop this agent and find a new one. If they signed you to a company without doing any sort of background check, they are faulty. This new company may have flaws in them too that the agent overlooked.

Nobody wants to see the village of the happy people.
— Lew Hunter