z

Young Writers Society

Thunder's Attempts to write more

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:10 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Hi, guys. I've tried to pull something like this off a couple times before, and here I go again.

Anyway, basically, I'm going to try and post here with my progress on Betrayed and Plagued.

Today, I'm trying this outlining thing called Phasing. Basically, you divide your story into phases. Phases, in this case, are basically scenes. Anyway, I think of my desired word count, then take the amount of phases I've come up with, and come out to how many words I need to write per phase. I don't want to drag things out to reach the word count, but I just become aware that I need to write more content in other phases. If worse comes to worse, I'll add another sub-plot or something.

Anyway, with my planned storyline, I have 78 phases, and I hope to have a 75,000 word novel. That comes out to over 800 words per phase!

I'm going to add some subplot, development, ect. to lower the amount of words I need per phase.
Last edited by thunder_dude7 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:24 pm
alwaysawriter says...

Awesome. Good luck! :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

Random avatar

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:49 am
thunder_dude7 says...

OK, I've added some things, and I've bulked it up to 85 phases. A little better. I'm going to start writing and just see how it all works out.

Random avatar

Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:13 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Guys, I need a favor. Please annoy me. It might help me stop procrastinating, because this is NOT writer's block, and I know it!

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:48 am
KailaMarie says...

-pokes with stick-

write.

And bravo for planning everything out. I've tried outlining, and I just can't do it. I think it would help speed along the process, but I don't know how in depth to go, and I don't know how to get my ideas down other than to just write the actual thing out. I can't even write a summary for what I've already written.

so anyway... I'm trying to annoy you so that you write. -pokes with stick again-
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:19 am
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

go write your ass off thunder dude!
BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T, ALL THAT PHASING WORK WILL BE FOR NOTHING.
YOU'LL NEVER REACH YOUR DREAM.
AND YOU'LL NEVER BECOME A BESTSELLER!
go nowwww!

how was that?
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

Random avatar

Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:38 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Thank you. That was PERFECT.

Kalia, just try a couple different methods and try to find one that works for you. I tried the snowflake method once, and I hated it, because I don't like outlining all this stuff and writing two page summaries about a one page scene.

Phasing is a cool thing. Just use excel and write a couple words of summary for each one. It's pretty easy.

EDIT:

Just did some work on the phasing, and thanks to many phases of intricate military discription, I now have 101 phases. That's about 500 words a phase.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:56 am
W says...

You should spend less time thinking how you're going to divide your story and just write. You've got no excuses to try it out atleast once a day. Attempting to write something at a completely random time (like when you'd usually be concentrated on something else) can get you going 60% of the time.
el oh el

Random avatar

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 am
thunder_dude7 says...

I think I've identified the cause of why I'm not writing, and I know how to handle it.

The annoying won't work(Though you did a great job, thank you).

I need a favor. I want somebody to allow me to PM them chapters of Betrayed and Plagued as I write them. I want them to beg me to write more when I don't send one for a while.

See, the feeling is that I know what happens, so I'm getting bored. I think that, when another person cares and DOESN'T know what will happen, I'll start writing more.

Any volunteers?

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:45 pm
TheWordsmith says...

That sounds cool! Feel free to PM me with the chapters.
Bad spellars of the world, untie! - T-shirt

Join iSpy! Click here!

Random avatar

Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:17 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Hi! Sorry I haven't been posting, but I came across an idea.

See, fantasy has become cliche because everybody uses the same old dragons, unicorns, and pegasus.

Where did these come from? Mythology.

I think it's time somebody find original ideas withing mythology to come up with creatures that aren't overused.

So far, I've decided I'd like to use the Greek Oceanids. In greek mythology, the Oceanids are the daughters of two Greek gods. Guess how many there are.

I'll give you a hint: there's one for every single river, lake, pond, etc.

Other hint: The record of number of children born to one mother is 55. It would take 54 people having this many children, plus thirty, to produce all the children.

Do the math, and you come up with 3,000 children. That's a lot, eh? I don't think I'll go that far, but there's one other detail:

Supposedly, one of these resides in every ginger-haired person.

I like that idea.

I'm going to look for more creatures to use tommorow. It's kind of late now.

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:27 pm
TheWordsmith says...

Oooh, Oceanids sound like interesting charectors. Mayhap there's a story waiting there...
Bad spellars of the world, untie! - T-shirt

Join iSpy! Click here!

Random avatar

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:15 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I think I've just commited literary suicide.

I was on the bus today, when a guy I know is reading "Eragon". I laughed at the positive comments on the back that praised Paolini's non-existing tallent.

Somewhere in there, I blurted out that I could write a better novel.

So now I have to have a novel written by January. I can write it if I treat every day like Nanowrimo without actually participating in the event, but there isn't a lot of editing time.

So I have motivation now.

Time to smash this writer's block into tiny pieces...

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:31 pm
Sureal says...

That's a bit unfair. You've gotta write a better novel in far less time. It took him a month to do the plan, a year to do the first draft, and a second year to edit. That's 25 months in total, compared with the 2 and a half you've got...
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:05 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

It is. Didn't really think about that. Though I have planned Betrayed and Plagued pretty much completely, so that takes away one month.

So...write a better novel than Eragon in a couple months...I should steal the plot of Harry Potter and call it...Perry Hotter.

No.

I finally have MOTIVATION now. I'll just try and get him to push the ending date back for editing.

If you want something badly, you just gotta believe it's gonna work out.
— Andy, Parks & Rec