z

Young Writers Society

Oh, for the love of...pie?

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:50 pm
Face Engine says...

I can't seem to write anything creative all of a sudden. I think I'm suffering from major writer's block on a major scale, at a majorly inconvenient time-I've just written the prologue for my sci-fi story, "End of Innocence", and desperately wish to continue. I know where my story is going, but I just can't get myself onto a good start with Chapter 1-preferably before going to sixth form so that I can get a lot done. Maybe it's the excitement that's diminishing my focus......

Uhm, anyway, I just thought I'd say in case anyone was waiting for Chapter 1 to be posted-if I can't get a postable amount done by next Thursday, you may have to wait a few weeks, as I will be more focussed on my education, but hopefully I will finish Chapter 1, or at least a substantial part of it, by then-it's not that I can't think of anything to write, I just can't think of how to write it!
And to anyone who doesn't feel the slightest amount of sympathy, disappointment or any other form of "care" (as in, "I care" or "I don't care"...you know what I mean!), I shall unleash my Demonic (or possibly Daemonic) Face Eater upon you when you least expect it.........
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of this signature.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:10 pm
Bickazer says...

Aww, I understand completely. It's the same reason why I puttered out on the Zenith Cycle, I think...you know what you WANT to write, but you just can't execute it. Very frustrating. :) Particularly when you know there's a certain time frame where you could get more done. Like, I didn't write AT ALL during summer break, when I knew I had all the free time to do it.

And if you've decided to focus on your schoolwork, all the more power to you. School is important, after all! Okay, enough lecturing. Anyway, that makes you a more noble person than me, I who really must study for the PSAT but dawdles all day on this here forum. :lol:
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:35 am
W says...

I used to be like that. I couldn't concentrate at all when I started to write my chapters, usually ditching the idea in the first couple of minutes. Now that I've started to write a new one, I've made a plan for smiting WB.

Just sit down. Find some soothing pop song in some foreign language you can't understand on youtube. And write.

Waiting for inspiration isn't going to get anywhere anytime soon. You might not feel so hot in the beggining, but as you keep writing, your mood might start to change as you continue. Just write knowing it'll all be fixed in the second, knowing you'll have the pleasure of fixing after you've tackled everything else.

If you can just set out to write a random point, or break it up into a bunch of points, so that it all culimates into 1000 words at the end of the day, no matter what the quality, your set. I started totally random spots in the day, and I've found it really works on keeping you focused--I think, anyway.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:29 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I have some trouble with this too. W is right in one way, you can't wait for inspiraton. You have to seek it out.

My best tip is to think of what inspired your story, then go back to that. If a book inspired you, read it again. If a movie inspired you, watch it.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:50 pm
Face Engine says...

Thank you all very much for your sympathy and advice. Now I'm going to go into the "I don't want your pity!" mode.

Hopefully I'll do something productive tomorrow :? I have a feeling it is going to be another day of pointless pondering, though. And I thought I was an optimist think happy thoughts, happy thoughts...

Finally, and I don't know why I'm bothering to write this, but, concerning W's suggestion "Find some soothing pop song in some foreign language you can't understand on youtube," instead I think I shall find some soothing classical piece. Or maybe not so soothing, something quite sinister, perhaps, as that might fit the theme of "End of Innocence" a bit better. Or I could always rely on Pacabel's Canon-nice and meaningful. But distracting.

Anyways, thank you all again. Hopefully I'll have gotten at least 1000 words or so done tomorrow crosses fingers and retires to his tree
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of this signature.

“Writing fiction is the act of weaving a series of lies to arrive at a greater truth.”
— Khalid Hosseini, Author