z

Young Writers Society

Potential Novel

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 am
WanaBeAuthor says...

Ok, I have had this idea going through my head for over 2 weeks. I tried to write it down yesterday and of course, I run into many problems. So I am going to write down the plot and maybe have you guys help me.

A war broke out among many countries, starting from the middle east. It expanded into Russia, causing its goverment to use its nuclear missles. The whole world was eventually involved, wars raged into peaceful countries. New York is literaly gone, Bejjing is a crater from a Missle, the whole world is in chaos. This war has murdered 1/2 of the humans on earth, milions of plants and animals were also killed. This War was caused over the power of the world, for control of the world, to be one great nation.

One man stepped up to make this happen, his name was (I haven't made characters yet.). He and his army quickly swept through the lands of the east. Forcing men to join him, if they opposed him he disposed of them. After many years of "Exterminating" all the threats against him, he united the world to one Nation. He forced strict rules on the peoples, "To be Organized and not have the 'War' Again" He had said. He moved his army into the cities and had them patrol the streets, they are strictly trained. Many fathers leave to join the army and appear to not remember anything before the joined. People believe they have their brains wiped of all memory. People accepted the new goverment and new rules and trudged on through life.

Others...Formed in groups and slowly devolped a resistance. This resistance came known to the (Name Here) and he tightened rules. The resistance ignored and hid in the sewers, secretley living, planning, preparing....

And that is my Plot except I have no Characters yet. A

Does anyone think this is a potential Novel?
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"
Unknown.

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:43 pm
Kang227 says...

I read something similar to this. Oh, it's called Left Behind, albeit yours has a much more militaristic spin.

But yeah, not too shabby. Just give it something to make it original.
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:47 pm
chocoholic says...

Sounds cool, let me know if you write it.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:47 pm
Black Ghost says...

Sounds like your basic post-apocalyptic world dictatorship thing. Sure, it could be a novel, but you would need to be creative to keep it from being cliche.

[s]BlackGhost[/s]

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:08 pm
WanaBeAuthor says...

Ok, I know I just kinda wrote this down from my head. I plan on organizing the heck out of it.

But is it original?
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"
Unknown.

Got YWS?

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:12 pm
Black Ghost says...

Any idea can be original, as long as the writing's good. For example, the plotline of Juno (girl gets pregnant) isn't very original, but the movie as a whole was amazing because of how well written it was. ^_^ So don't worry too much about how "original" the idea is, and just be sure to make it your own, whatever story it may be. :P

[s]BlackGhost[/s]

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:09 am
thunder_dude7 says...

I think this has real potential. My main concern at the moment is that you might end up focusing too much on the war and the brain wiping and everything and not your main plot - the resistence. You might consider making the war that starts this into it's own book, then the resistence another. Just a thought.

Also, this does seem a tad bit cliche. What you need is a "Spark", as I call it. One idea that is new and different. Granted, nothing is really new is different, but hold on! See, there are boatloads of ideas out there. There are different scenarios the characters are in, problems, ways to solve them. Things become cliche when certain things always go together. For example, take the clasic fairy tale where a prince saves a princess from a dragon. None of those elements - the dragon, the prince, or the princess - have to be cliche. They are cliche because they always are used together. Now, if a dragon were to save a prince from and evil princess, that wouldn't be cliche in the least. It would be absurd, but not cliche.

The point is, think of something that isn't used with this. What kind of conflict do you tend to see in books with plots similar to this? Anything that answers that question should be scraped. Now, think of a problem that isn't seen in a place where an evil empire controls the world? Answer that, and you've got something that is different and unique.

Everything’s edible if you’re immortal.
— Feltrix