z

Young Writers Society

What font/font size do you use?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:07 am
Tres*Chic says...

Just wondering for those who type novels on word processors, what font do you use and which size? Is there generally a prefered size for publishers or do they not mind?
I love muscical theatre...West End here I come!

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:49 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I usually use Comic Sans, size 14. I started using it in my English class in 5th grade, because we had to write a report or something, forgot what it was, and it had to be a certain number of pages. We were then given a list of approved fonts, including Comic Sans, and the size was 12-14. Comic Sans was the biggest.

And now I keep using it because it's cool looking.

As for what publishers prefer, they proably will say so on their website or in the publishing book that God has sent to us writers. Gimme a minute right quick...

EDIT:

OK, it looks like the standard is size 12 courier font.

http://sfwa.org/writing/vonda/vonda0.htm

Anything specifically printed on the website for a publisher or anything trumps this. SO if a publisher want times new roman, size 14, use that format, not the above link's directions. If no instructions are given, use the above.

Reviews: 4
Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:11 am
dreaming_in_poetry says...

I don't know what publishers/agents prefer, but I use Times New Roman iwth a font size of either 10 or 11. I seem to vary from story to story.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:13 am
Krupp says...

I believe agents usually prefer the standard, "Times New Roman" in a 12-sized font, double spaced. I believe that's the standard, at any rate. I could be wrong; I've never tried sending an agent something.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:22 am
Bickazer says...

When I write in Word, I use standard size-12 Times New Roman. In WordPad, I use Arial size...ten? Or is it eight? Dang, I forget. :( Either way, they're both the programs' default fonts.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:24 am
Snoink says...

Courier, 12 pt, double spaced. It's actually easier to read like that. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:06 am
CastlesInTheSky says...

When I write in word, I tend to use good old TNR, single spaced, size 12.

Woo! Times New Roman FTW!

I'm trying to fight against the evil powers of Calibri font, that the new Microsoft Word has as its default font every time I open a document.

Die Calibri :twisted: Die!

*cackles with twisted evil smile*

But in manuscripts you are meant to use Courier, size 12, double spaced. Or they will overlook it because it's too hard to read and not professional enough.

xxx

Excuse my ramblings
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:03 pm
Clo says...

If you want others to read your work, the general font is 12 TNR. It's large, not too large, also not too small. I love it.
How am I not myself?

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:08 pm
SunshineOrange says...

I pretty much stick to the same font and font size for everything I do xD I hate the change it because then I look at what I've written and just think.. It's all wrong!

Verdana and font size 11 is the way to go.

:D
Ehh Maii Gawwwsh, it's GingerLizzy, on a different profile!

Got YWS? Want a review?

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:22 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I've been using size 12 New Times Roman but when a diffrent character is thinking I use Comic Sans.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

Reviews: 0
Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:37 pm
Blue-Orange says...

I use Goady Old Style - size 14 for my stories. It's nice and easy to read. :)

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:20 pm
Ross says...

12-point Times New Roman, double-spaced is the general standard.
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:48 am
Cade says...

I just want all of you to know that Comic Sans MS is the work of the devil and quite possibly the ugliest font face known to mankind.

I feel rather strongly about that. I think it's ugly and quite honestly, don't ever use it for work you will show to others...there's no way they'll take you seriously.

Times New Roman and Georgia are my faves.

When our literary magazine staff went to a conference, some of our layout editors went to a seminar on font faces...apparently there's a hotdog decorative font out there.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:05 am
Prokaryote says...

Cade wrote:I just want all of you to know that Comic Sans MS is the work of the devil and quite possibly the ugliest font face known to mankind.

Amen. It's simply awful.

Ban Comic Sans.

Prokaryote

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:29 am
Cade says...

Thanks for the link, Prok...I really want one of those shirts now.

But Snoink is right about manuscripts being in 12 pt. Courier. You've got to follow the rules if you want to be published!
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

We wandered the halls of an infinite magic nursing home, led by a hippo nurse with a torch. Really, just an ordinary night for the Kanes.
— Rick Riordan, The Throne of Fire