z

Young Writers Society

Scribblings of the Scribe

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:48 am
View Likes
ScriboErgoSum says...

I'm trying to write my first decent novel. Even though I've been writing seriously for almost two years (since NaNo '06), I have yet to turn out a novel that I'd let other people read, and I'd like to change that.

I haven't been writing a novel lately. In fact I haven't been writing anything lately; I've just come off a bout of severe writer's block of the worst kind. That is: I felt, desperately, like writing ANYTHING that entire time, but nothing would come. And now, somehow, I think I'm good to write again. Yay!!

Most of the novels I try to write end up half-finished, so I thought maybe posting my progress regularly here would keep me working on this one. It's seven thousand words along so far.

Give me a poke if you notice I'm not working on it! :D

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:43 pm
ScriboErgoSum says...

A short summary of the novel I'm working on: There is another world called Cittemara. Maybe it always existed, and maybe people from this world thought it into being. Either way, a 12-year-old girl called Blue knows all about Cittemara, and she tells her friend Solitaire about it too. Solitaire and Blue are pulled into Cittemara one night when Blue's father Richard vanishes. They discover that he's been captured by enemies; what's more, these enemies are trying to take control of Cittemara. After traveling to rescue Richard, they have to fight for Cittemara's independence.

Yeah... it's a really rough summary, and sounds really cliche, but I spent months trying to write something original (and getting nowhere) before deciding to just write something and HAVE FUN with it. I like my characters, I like my setting, and hopefully it'll turn out okay with some dedication and some editing.

Reviews: 4
Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:15 am
dreaming_in_poetry says...

The best stories are those that the author adores. If an author puts love and care into their work, a reader can often tell. And while your story may sound cliche now, you may discover while you write it that it heads off in a totally different direction than you intended (been there, done that). Don't hesitate to write it. If nothing else, it is self-gratifying.

One question, how does Blue know the truth about Cittemara?

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:27 pm
Sapphire says...

I think you have a great attitude. Let's face it, most things that happen in life are clichés! Why worry about trying to avoid them when you can tell a story that you'll enjoy writing and reading? Besides, it's a world and characters that you've invented, so those alone should be enough to make it a bit different.
Click for critiques :)

Dancing through life down at the Ozdust, if only because dust is what we come to – Wicked the Musical

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:43 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

I agree with Sapphire.

You have a wonderful attitude, much better than mine. And as long as you love the piece you are writing, why worry about cliches?

If you love the thing you are writing, this will show and be evident to the reader. If you haven't enjoyed writing it and you are just doing it to finish a manuscript, this will also be evident to the reader.

Solitaire and Blue are just....just beautiful names. Very original.

I love the story idea as well. I'm not usually into these epic kind of fantasy things, but yours sounds really interesting. I love the idea of Cittemara and another world.

Keep Writing and Good luck with the story.

xxx
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

Positive anything is better than negative nothing.
— Elbert Hubbard