z

Young Writers Society

The Darker Side of Star Wars

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:16 pm
weekend_warrior says...

I am working on a new series of novella titled 'Star Wars: The New Republic.' It may not appeal very much to very young readers, and may not even be appropriate for those under 14.

I was extremely dissappointed with how George Lucas did the Star Wars prequels. For one, they were far too 'little kiddish.' Jar Jar Binks, and the overly simplistic one-dimensional characters of Count Dooku and Anakin Skywalker were not Han Solo (who was caught between heart and money) or Darth Vader (whose inner conflict was even visible slightly in the first star wars movie).

So here I bring an extremely rough draft of The New Republic. Rather than taking off like a Space Opera (as the original star wars movies did) a socio-political drama of intrigue and personal struggle launches. There are few swashbuckling Jedi Knights. Life for the rest of the galaxy that are not Jedi comes alive, showing that heroes aren't necessarily strong in the Force.

Now, I may be taking a gamble by removing what many in the Star Wars fanbase love: flashy jedi power battles between beings of immense power. However, one of the reasons I posted the prologue and Chapter 1 here were to judge reaction to the concept of a story about 'the darker side of Star Wars.'

Please take a look, and see what you think.

topic34789.html
James
Soldier, Student

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:04 pm
romance otaku says...

well,i dont know if you have noticed, but you are two years over the age limit, at least, according to your profile. also, i just wanted to ask, why star wars? they pretty much milked the title for all its worth, and are now living off the body (yay, beef). also, there are two star wars book series, and probably more im not aware of. also, unless you get legal by lucas arts (or whoever else holds the name), this story is just annother of many fanfics.

i havent read your work, so im not going to complain about your writing.
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:52 pm
Face Engine says...

What was wrong with Anakin? He IS Darth Vader, after all!

But I agree that the new trilogy sucks (relative to the original), though I quite liked episode 3, as it was dark and sinister, with less emphasis on those freaking droids. I especially hated the way the droids acted like Human soldiers-if you're going to create a robot purely for battle, you do not give it the ability to panic, scream and flail its arms about, do you? I can understand self preservation, but some of the droids acted too much like...well...Humans!

Anyway, sorry about that. Personally, I think that, if you're going to do a story based on something that has been "milked for all its worth" (can't think of a better way of putting it), then approach it from a different angle, or in some other way expand on that universe's history. We know that other things have happened in the Star Wars universe than the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War, and other events have been explored in detail in the expanded universe, but you can never give an entire galaxy enough depth! If I were to create a Star Wars fanfic, I would approach something relevant to the real world that has not been explored in great depth in any other major Star Wars story (so such things as treachery, good and evil, etc, might not be prominent themes) using the workings of the Star Wars universe (for example, using the Force as an excuse for why the crazy man can jump around the way he does) to make it more exciting and enjoyable for the reader.

I probably could have explained that better, but I'm tired and over excited.

Finally, congratulations on being a person who prefers the original trilogy to the new trilogy. It means that I am automatically inclined to like you and enjoy reading anything you write.

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:54 pm
weekend_warrior says...

Well, The New Republic takes place about 10 years after the Yevethan Conflict, and about three years before the New Jedi Order series (with the Yuzzhan Vong) begins. The first 'book' will primarly deal with how the military deals with the Borsk Fel'ya administration, and his never-ending quest for more power, and his fear to generally do anything that might anger potential voters. It also deals with a Republic that has gone through about 10 years of relative peace.

After much thought, I decided to base the character's ship more off of the U.S. Navy than off of Star Trek, and the military characters will seem less like most of the miltiary characters in the novels and generally more realistic. I have served a tour in Iraq, and one thing that bugged me about the novels and movies was that all the military characters were always so one dementional.

I am actually contemplating doing a story using flashbacks from the Rebellion Era that will contrast the difference between how draftees in the Imperial Army viewed the brainwashed Stormtroopers, and draw a line that makes the usually villified Imperials as they likelyw ould have been: Farmboys, nerf herders, etc... who were drafted into the Imperial Navy and Army and not too dissimiliar to the farmboys and nerfherders who fought for the Alliance.
James
Soldier, Student

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare