z

Young Writers Society

Need help finding a name

Reviews: 4
Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:42 am
hamerkid2 says...

alright before i tried to get help to find a title and i got a little help from those who weren't telling me to write first. they inspired a title i created on my own, but i still need a name.

character description:
16 years old.
strong and independent.
helpful
and above all kind and in no way is she selfish.

So i need a name for that character. The plot is in the future so it needs to be modern or new (no Gertrudes or Mary Anns.)

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by hamerkid2 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:00 pm
TheWordsmith says...

Could there be a little more info, please?
Bad spellars of the world, untie! - T-shirt

Join iSpy! Click here!

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:02 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Psh. I'm saving my cool titles for my own post-apocalyptic sci-fi stories. However, you really don't need a fancy title right now. Why don't you use one of your bland titles for now, and get started writing the story? I can almost guarantee that, by the time you're done, the perfect title will have presented itself to you.
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:35 pm
hamerkid2 says...

yeah i should begin to write it first but i keep on track if i have a title to follow by, it's just the way i write, so thanks for the advice anyway ProfessorRabbit.
-Hamerkid2

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:40 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Hmm...Abandoned Savoir or Abandoned Hero, perhaps?

Anyway, I actually have some plot related questions:

Why did her family leave her behind? Why is she a hero if there are multiple other people in this relief group? I don't see how a person in this relief group is any more well-known than, say, a person in the Coast Guard.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:03 pm
Clo says...

I agree with the Prof.

Write first - the title will come to you! The writing is the fun part.
How am I not myself?

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:25 am
romance otaku says...

i agree. you will come up with a name eventually. but just dont post it without a name!! that gets annoying!!

fun fact: i got the name of my book (Heart Stabbed Blade) after watching the anime fate/stay night. they kind of have the same awsome ring to them, ya' know?
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:27 pm
hamerkid2 says...

thanks for the replies but as i said before, having a title keeps me on track. It helps keep my stories from trailing off. That's the way I write Title first, it's no different then if someone can only write outside, or listening to music.

and thunder_dude7
- her family left her because the girl did not make it into the helicopters that were taking the survivors to the safer place.
-and in this world only a few people survived, it's impossible, that out of the few of the ones that survived, there are trained soldiers and doctors. She stepped up in her time of need to help those who needed it. That's why she is the hero.
-Hamerkid2

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:51 pm
TheWordsmith says...

For a name for her, if you don't have one already- maybe it would be better to have a name that doesn;t sound so tough, maybe that is misleading.
Bad spellars of the world, untie! - T-shirt

Join iSpy! Click here!

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:34 pm
hamerkid2 says...

yeah i was thinking of changing it to a newer name, not tough, but still unusual.
-Hamerkid2

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:22 am
dreaming_in_poetry says...

You said the main character reunites with her family/community, right? How about Return? That way it can also be about the way humanity "returns" to the world after destruction.

But I must agree with everyone else: write it first. After you write it, you may find that your title doesn't fit the story anymore.

Possible main character names: Breanne, Melisant, Eitana

All of them have the meaning "strong," though Eitana can also mean impetuous

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:07 pm
hamerkid2 says...

I like the names and the title but the character's return happens at the end of the story because during the story she thinks of her family a lot. I thought it would be good to have the last chapter as the girl's dream of going back to her family is fullfilled.

And I'm not saying it again, title first write second is the way i write stories.
-Hamerkid2

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:05 pm
Tusker93 says...

I'd give a name for it but I would need more details on the plot and stuff for the name to really mean anything.

I'd like to see how this develops though.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:52 pm
Carlito says...

For the MC...how about Jotni? I am simply in love with this name right now...I don't know why. :)
Or...
Andie, Cheyenne, Dacoda, Hadley, India, Ivory, Jairdin, Jericka, Raeven, Storhm
Another idea...take a name and spell it phonetically so that it creates a new 'unique' spelling. For example: Aaron becomes Airon...Amy becomes Amee or Aime(e)

good luck :D

Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:40 pm
hamerkid2 says...

thanks tnme22, I'll consider them.
i like the suggestion of taking an old name and spelling it differently.
-Hamerkid2

Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb