z

Young Writers Society

question abour your tastes

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:46 pm
romance otaku says...

hi, i've been working on my book, Heart Stabbed Blade for about a month now. i have more than a chapter typed, and more than 4 written. but i need some help. my book is both an action and a romance, but mostly romance. do you think i should try to step up the adventure/battle situations, or keep the romance as the main part of the story? i am just aking about your tastes, by the way

here is my overview (and, yes i do know that i need to work on names in the future):

Takato is a first year I high school. Three years ago, his parents vanished, leaving him only their huge house and a bank account. The only person he has told of this is Rena, a girl Takato met shortly after their disappearance.

One day, a strange phenomenon occurs at Rena and Takato’s school, and Takato does everything in his power to protect Rena, both of them get caught in a war that has been hidden from humans for centuries.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:48 am
Angel of Death says...

I love reading romantic books but I also like a little bit of adventure. Sometimes, when you're writing a book where there is 'a war that humans didn't know about' you don't want to over expose love. It'll take away from the plot and it will ruin the story. So keep the romance tasteful and make sure it fits in the right places. Good luck on writing and hope I was of some help!
YWS's friendly neighborhood Angel,
Raven :D :D :D
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:32 am
powerofthree says...

Angel of Death, you said what I was thinking and would have said. You don't want too much romance because it's a war book, but add some cause no book is complete without it.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."-Jules de Gaultier

"No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies."-Daisy Bates

63 Reviews

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:57 pm
romance otaku says...

i was hoping for those kinds of replies :D

i just have to re-write some senteces then, and since they are in the second chapter, i may be able to finish my chapter one draft

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 pm
View Likes
andimlovegalore says...

I agree with the others =] I like a bit of romance in a book, but I get really bored if it's ALL romance. Have you ever read a book called Across the Nightingale Floor? That just came to mind when I read this, because I think it has the perfect balance of romance and plot movement. It's a great book, so if you haven't read it you should ^__^

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:25 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I like my stories flavored with romance, but not all about romance. :D Because in my opinion, there's only so much "he said, she said, they kissed" that you can jam into a story. It gets old for me. But if it's an adventure story with a little romance mixed in, then the romance is surprising and interesting.

My personal opinion. :)
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

63 Reviews

Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:08 pm
romance otaku says...

thx again :D . and i'll check out Across the Nightingale Floor.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:36 pm
powerofthree says...

yeah, it's a great book, I read it
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."-Jules de Gaultier

"No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies."-Daisy Bates

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:55 pm
RedLeader115 says...

Usually in romance stories, the writer needs to create problems that are centered around his characters. Give them obstacles to overcome, that sort of thing.
"To be what we crave to be, we need only be what we say we are" -Socrates

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb"

63 Reviews

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:00 pm
romance otaku says...

thats annother thing i need to work on. i have problems that have to do with plot so far, but no problems between the main characters....YESS!!! that could work. **gets pen out** muhahahaha!!!

pls welcome a to-be character abuser, Otaku :smt021

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:11 am
Jay says...

I prefer adventure to romance. I dislike most romance-it seems very prone to Mary Sue syndrome. But if it's done in a way that isn't overly cheesy or unrealistic, more power to you!

63 Reviews

Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:32 pm
romance otaku says...

annother one of my problems, the cheesy factor :?
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:42 pm
Clo says...

I love romance, but I think books are better if there is a pleasant mixture of more than one element. Romance, adventure, all of that. There are several popular books I could cite that I think have way too much romance in them and a severe lack of action around the romance that leaves the book to be slighly a trial to get through and to be dull or not exciting enough for some reasons.

Really good books contain a mixture of things.
How am I not myself?

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:34 pm
Carlito says...

I would have to say that you yourself need to figure out if you want it to be more of a romance or action. Think about the entire plot and what you have planned for the entire work. If you think it's more of an action than put more action in it. That doesn't mean you can't put the romance in, it would still work fine. The same goes for the other way around.
I'm sure both would work very well. If you want some examples or something to go off of The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer is a really good example of a romance with action in it. The main thing is the romance between Edward and Bella but there is some action in it as well. The Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson is a good example of action with romance. The main thing in that is the fighting and battling and there is a romance between Max and Fang on the side.
Good luck :)

63 Reviews

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:26 pm
romance otaku says...

ive been looking into the book, but i dont have the cash to buy (darn manga), and i never go to the library. plus i heard something about a new card...but thats a topic for annother thread
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

All we can do is our best, and hope that it was enough.
— CandyWizard