z

Young Writers Society

Struggling.... very much so

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:25 pm
tanith14 says...

I have been writing for years and I generally do not have a problem writing something that is appealing to most readers, but I seem to be struggling to brain storm a new idea that will not only drive myself but spark interest and intrigue in my readers.

I am currently working on three stories, one of which has been well received while the other two not so much. I just wanted some advice or comments on the direction I am going as a writer cause right now it does not feel very rewarding, and that is NOT good for a guy who is majoring in creative writing this year.

My first story is about an driven, and sarcastic inquisitor and his investigations in witchcraft in the 1600's in both France and England. This is the story that has been praised, but it is fizzling out. I have decided to take a break from that one because it was so good. I think if I step back and rethink it that it well flesh itself out. Overall it is pretty much a PG-13 thrill ride with the exception of the "deep" moral dilemmas that threaten to undermine his idea of purity.

The other two stories are in much more trouble than the earlier one.

The first is about a young captain who fell in love with a princess. After refusing to perform "all out war," (known to some as rape, pillage, and burn everything) Khelar (the captain) falls out of favor with the king. After the princess falls deathly ill, the king blames Khelar for his daughter's illness. After a failed murder attempt on khelar's life, the young captain flees the city to join a selective brotherhood of blood crazed knights.

Ten years khelar returns to the shores of his homeland ready to seek his revenge against his former homeland in a brutal campaign that he hopes will end with his love (Elesther) returning to him. After he retakes the capital, he realizes that she is already dead. The story continues with Khelar's quest for revenge against humanity, ending with an unbelievable twist that kills the once noble Captain.

Of course, this story is very dark. Perhaps too dark for the younger audiences that I have shown it to. I wonder if I should lighten it a little, but I fear the impact of it will be lost.

The other story I am working on is a romance. (ooo scary for a guy). It is based around an experience that someone close to me once had, though not on the scale that the story is driven by.

One year after his fiancee's death, Daniel Aretin thinks that life is over until he meets Jessica Hale, who is essentially a photocopy of his former lover. After a couple months of dating, Daniel begins to believe that Jessica IS his fiancee. This story is told from Jessica's perspective as she tries to battle between being who she is, or acting like the woman Daniel lost.

Anyways, I guess that about sums up where I am right now. Any advice or morale support is greatly appreciated!
If there is one thing in the world I CAN'T stand it is the Redwings.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:43 pm
cheese9975 says...

I feel for you! I'm kind of in the same place right now. I've got a couple stories I'm writing, but the ideas aren't coming and the stories aren't getting finished. All I can say is to maybe step back, rethink what you're doing, give it a rest for a few days, and then sit back down, refreshed, to complete the story. Sometimes pushing through works out well, and sometimes it doesn't.

Best of luck,
Shannon
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:41 pm
Swottielottie says...

I can't believe that the last two stories weren't recieved well! The one about the captain sounds like the sort of thing I would read. It doesn't see that dark to me. Don't lighten that story! It's perfect the way it is! Tell me if you have posted it on here, because I would love to read it!
If you are worried that the readers would find it intriguing enough, you shouldn't be! It sounds amazing, a better plo than I could ever come up with.
My advice is to just continue writing if you can and try and regain tha t'spark' you felt when you first started writing it.

Charlotte

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:09 pm
tanith14 says...

Here is a link to the captain's story. You will have to scroll down to the bottom and read the edited opening.

topic33350.html

Thank you for your advice and support!
If there is one thing in the world I CAN'T stand it is the Redwings.

Reviews: 4
Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:38 am
SaraAnne says...

:shock: The fantasy one. About Khelar. Sounds. fantastic.

You have to keep writing it.

I would TOTALLY read that.

I am stuggling too...but for different reasons. I'm more than half way through a novel/ly/thing and i have my final exams for school....equivelent of english A levels...either way their big and nasty and i need to study, but i'm all excited and inspired about a story...gr....

When I no longer need to study i shall read your khelar story.

But answer me this: how can a story end happily if there is no love?
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane