z

Young Writers Society

On a new journey...

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:06 pm
Angel of Death says...

Congrats! All of your hardwork has paid off! Is your book in like any popular bookstores-Borders...Barnes & Noble because if so, I'll be sure to check it out. Congrats again
-Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:21 pm
jasmine12 says...

Congrats on getting another book published.

I was just wondering, you said that you had a publisher accept your book but you had a contract with the self publishing company. What did you send to the publisher?

People say different things about that. Some say just your info and what you want published. Others say a query letter. (which, with all my internet surfing, I can't figure out what to put in a query letter)

Congrats, again. Can't say it enough.

--Jasmine
"Sometimes the worst bad guy makes the best good guy." Nigel--Untouched

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:17 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Jasmine, I think it basically goes like this:

Send agent querry letter

If they're interested, they'll request the first 50 or so pages of your manuscript

If they're happy, sometimes, they'll offer a contract, but they might request the complete manuscript. Be prepared for either

Agent sends out manuscripts to publishing companies

If you're lucky and a good writer, one will accept you

They'll pay you an advance

I've heard some different things on this next part. Some say that you start getting royalties(A portion of the book's profits) after you "Pay off" the advance. Some say you sell a certain number of copies.

You get royalties, usually not very much money

Write another novel

Send to agent

Agent sends to publisher

You get paid a little more

Rinse and repeat

As for what goes in the querry letter, it's sort of like a resume. Just tell them about contests you've won, short stories you've published, and all the good stuff that shows you should be accepted.

Oh, and include information about your book, too. A very short plot summary is usually all they want.

a little humanity makes all the difference
— Rosendorn