z

Young Writers Society

Editors

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:47 pm
gamechanger10 says...

So, about a year or two ago, when I was in fifth grade, I 'hired' an 'editor' for my book, Fulfillers
Unfortunately, our relationship didn't really work out.
He didn't really tell me anything about my story. Just that I should change the spellings of my MC's names. :?

And then, he came up with this wack plot that he said I should change mine to.
And it was the farthest thing from mine that he could've come up with.

I was a tad immature about the whole thing, and got really mad. I fired him.
And to quote myself, I said, "My mom thinks it would be for the best if we severed our relationship as author and editor."

I had to use the 'mom said so' thing. I was nervous about firing him, and it just spilled out.
As for the rest of it, I rehearsed that a million times.

However, this man was my uncle. And I think when I fired him as my editor, he thought I fired him as an uncle.
We barely talk anymore. And when we're together, it's extremely awkward.

Since then, Fulfillers has bitten the dust and I have written a new story that I haven't really titled yet.
And for that story, I have already asked someone to be my editor, and I'm positive she'll say yes.
The woman I asked was Alisa Bair.
She wrote a book called A Table For Two (perhaps some of you have read it). The book got world-wide attention.
Now, she writes songs and musicals for companies all over the world.

Why would she agree to be a thirteen-year-olds editor then?
Because she works with my mom! :D She's Associate in Worship Ministries at my church and my mom's Director of Family Ministries.
Alisa has read some of my other writings and takes notes on them.
At first, I thought that was really weird, to take notes on a story as you read, but I'm fine with it now. I do that mentally. She just writes it down.

I can only hope that this time, everything will work out...
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:03 pm
Krupp says...

You should next time try to work things out instead of just firing an editor. Listen to what they have to say, and take it into consideration. Then, if you have any points you want to get across, let them know right after they finish what they are saying.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:46 pm
gamechanger10 says...

yeah...I know...not my best moment in life...
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:45 am
thunder_dude7 says...

OK, I think you actually were in the right. He didn't actually give help with the story, just gave you a ton of rubbish. And that makes for a really bad editor. He was being more immature than you. He should have simply accepted what you did and moved on.

Seeing as your new editor is a published author, she'll understand you, because you're in the same boat.

Anne felt that life was really not worth living without puffed sleeves.
— L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables