z

Young Writers Society

Odd little idea...

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:51 am
Kang227 says...

This is an idea for a superhero novel I will *eventually* write. I think Weilders and Spore series come first, though...

The superhero is named Paladin. He's a fairly average guy...of course. He WAS completely normal...of course.

Until a demon named Zarrak was bound to him. Now, demons can possess people, which allows them to influence actions. But Zarrak entered the physical plane, making his bonding to the protagonist complete and irreversible. Zarrak is a reformed demon--not a saint, by all accounts, but he loathed the destructive goals and lifestyle of Hell. Zarrak now exists in the protagonist's mind, and speaks to him.

When the MC (main character) is about to be shot in a mugging-gone-wrong, Zarrak summons a suit of black armor and a sword to protect the MC. All demons have--and use--this armor in Hell, but somehow Zarrak's bonding to the MC on the physical plane allows the armor to be summoned on Earth. It protects the MC, gives him heightened strength and speed, and also allows him to lash out with a kind of dark energy.

The MC and Zarrak are torn. While they want to use this power to help others, they cannot. There are other 'super-beings' on Earth, but the chaos and anarchy they create has led to proactive extermination; government squadrons imprison (or kill) any super-powered individual they can. Knowing that his 'darker' powers and even darker origin make him a prime target, the MC goes on the run. During his journey, he meets others with powers that are less than pretty (one man's super-strength is fueled by the evil of the people around him. Ironically, with Zarrak in the MC's head, he's usually pretty damn strong).

The MC, Zarrak, and the other super-beings try to avoid capture, all the while fighting--both literally and figuratively--to find a balance between their kind and the average citizens.
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:32 pm
Tyd says...

Well... i like it ;o It seems very interesting and even though i havn't watch the series Hero's - this is what i'd imagine it to be like XD

Have you done any writing for it yet or is it just an idea :D? I think the idea is brilliant and it seems you have a lot thought out so far
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:57 pm
pegasi_quill says...

Oooh this certainly sounds interesting. I'd look forward to reading it - if you post it here, that is :)
~Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You can never tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things~

Away until August 31st (possibly longer)

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:08 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

Dito!
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:16 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

It sort of reminds me of "Heros". You did switch around enough things to make it work on your own, though, so this is quite good.

Good luck!

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:18 pm
Gahks says...

Agree with Tyd on this one; sounds like a neo-noir sci-fi, much like Heroes.

Good luck with writing it!
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

Random avatar

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:53 am
Kang227 says...

I've been thinking about the plot, and I have MOAR IDEAS PL0X:

Paladin (because saying MC is annoying) is running from the government due to his powers, like everyone else with powers. Along the way he meets and picks up a few more super-heroes...and a few more...and a few more...until he's the unexpected leader of DOZENS of super-powered individuals. Soon, even though he has done nothing, he is at the top of the Most Wanted List.

Using a man with teleportation powers and disposable phones, Paladin begins a shaky exchange of communication with the President, explaining himself, people like him, and why they are not all a threat to society.

Meanwhile, some ACTUAL bad guys are working behind the scenes...

I've been thinking of a good overall villain, and I thought of a man who controls white fire. He calls himself Purge.

So...yes? Good? Bad?
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:43 am
thunder_dude7 says...

It all seems good, but...erm...disposable phones?

As for the villian, quick tip: The villian always has a clear motive for his actions. Revenge is always a simple one, but feel free to get creative!

Random avatar

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:16 pm
Kang227 says...

Disposable because you don't have to sign up to use them. Teleporter because he doesn't want them to GPS his position from the call inside their 'secret hideout' (yes, there WILL be a secret hideout, but it's not a Batcave, it's just a large area where the super-beings can live and hide).

One is not born, but rather becomes a woman.
— Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex