z

Young Writers Society

Untiled new piece

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:14 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Well, one, I feel like I have too many projects going at once, my new one being the fourth.

On the other hand, I really want ot try something completely new to me. And that's writing a musical.

I've only written the first scene, so right now, I need feedback on the overall plot. Here's the synopsis:

Alex, Mike, and Kali, three 16 year old kids, are in a band. They are well-known among their school, and life seems pretty good. However, tension soon begins to build.

First, Mike has a crush on Kali. However, Kali already has a boyfriend, and his chances with her seem unimaginable.

Later, a record company offers them a deal, and the three of them aren't sure if they should take it or not. Their parents, with the exception of Alex's, agree that they can make their own descision. Alex's parents, however, disapprove of taking it.

As they try to go on with normal life, more things prevent things from being normal. When Kali writes a song about breaking up with a cheating boyfriend, she gets into a fight with her boyfriend. Just as she manages to work things out, she discovers that he is really cheating on her, ends the relationship, and begins to lose confidence in herself.

Mike and Alex later agree that they want to take the deal, but Kali is still nervous, unsure if this is how she wants to live her life. Mike sees his chance to get on Kali's good side, so he begins to give her words of encouragement. Kali recieves these positively. Eventually, she agrees to takr the deal.

However, once again, Alex's parents step in and forbid them from taking the contract. They continue to try to convince them, but they don't budge.

Later, a "Battle of the Bands" concert arrives, and the three of them hastily sign up. Their parents all attend the competition. The band performs an enjoyable, fun song, and Alex experiences a revalation. He realises that he would feel terrible doing anything but this with his life. He tells this to the others when they come over to stay the night at his house. Alex's dad overhears their conversation, and has a change of heart. The next morning, they awake to Alex's parents arguing about the deal. Alex confirms what his dad overheard to his mom, and she tells them that she will decide later.

I decided to leave out the ending to avoid destroying tension. What do you think?

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:41 am
ButterFlyInk says...

To be honest I don't like musicals or musical concepts but I really enjoyed reading this tension fill synopsis. :) :P I was so into the plot that i got told to get off the computer for its bedtime. XD
I love it 100%....and that's saying a lot for me. ( only musical I've seen is Sweeney Todd...good movie by the way)

<3 Ink

P.S. whats the ending?
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:01 am
chocoholic says...

So many people are writing musicals! I'll probably do one next year, but for now I'll just help out with everybodies songs.

I think this sounds good. Perhaps a tad cliche, with the Battle of the Bands thing, but I'd see it if it were performed.

Let me know if you ever need any help, particularly with your lyrics.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:03 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Choc, of the three songs I've written, two are going into the musical. The first is Up, which you critiqued recently, and Fly, which is going to be seriously revised so it works in the musical.

Here's the end, but it's hidden for people who like suspence...

[spoiler]Alex's mom decides that they can take the record deal, but they have to finish their second semester of 10th grade, which, by the end of the musical, is just starting.[/spoiler]

I think I should be fine with lyrics, most people who've read the three I've written liked them. My biggest problem would be writing music to go with them. You any good at that?

But yeah, I'm working on the actual play now, as I said in the first post, so far I've written the first scene, which is where they performs Up for the first time.

After that, I'm just going to write another scene and then throw a song together to go with it.

Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
— Chinese proverb