z

Young Writers Society

I'm taking a big risk

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Sat May 31, 2008 10:00 pm
Eimear says...

Ok, so I've finally had what I think is called the moment of epiphany. Otherwise known as everything I've learnt about writing so far and everything I am has come together into a tremendous bang.

I've decided to write a musical. All my life I've longed to be involved on the stage- and although my singing isn't that bad, what I really want to do is to create a whole world where it's spectacular, colourful and where people set their souls alight with their love of performing.

The basic outline is pretty clear in my head, and of course I've decided that all the songs, lyrics and scripts for the characters are to be done by myself. myself- one of my best friends however is exceptionally good at music, so she might, if I twist her arm, lend her talents. However I never took drama in school, so I reckon I'm going to be pretty lost in regarding staging, props and anything like that.

What I'd really like to ask is if anyone at all is doing this- or indeed has done this, would it be possible to give me a few pointers? I've thought about this long and hard and I know I can do it. Writing novels will always be my first love, but my vision is now set on the West end.

Eimear
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 31, 2008 11:15 pm
Emerson says...

So you need help on the theater end of things?

I've never been real active in the theatre troupe at my school, but this past year I wrote a one act and they produced it for me. I picked up a lot of handy information about directing and so forth, because I was somewhat the co-direct, and at least for the script writing end, I think I have a hang of it! I have a book on it, but never had the effort to read it, other than what was necessary. So, I may be of some help to you. I'm not sure. Either way, I'm happy you've found something you're so passionate about, and I hope it works out! Keep me informed. ^_~
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat May 31, 2008 11:16 pm
Twit says...

Write a letter to Andrew Lloyd Webber. Watch the classics.

And, gaw, that's so ambitious it's scary. Though that might be because music plays tricks on my frontal lobe.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sat May 31, 2008 11:23 pm
BigBadBear says...

Dude. You and me are on the same page. I'm attempting to write a musical also. It's based on Sumi H. Inkblot's story Your Coat of Arms is the Lion. It's an amazing story, so I got together with her and we decided to start writing it.

We have the first song posted.

Okay, it's really big and scary. Incredibly hard. Very painful. Are you willing to spend around a year dedicated to it? Are you gonna give it up?

If you've answered no to these, read on.

I (personally) think it's easier to write the lyrics first. So, find the place where you want the songs, and then start listing off possible titles. I think titles beforehand are better, because then you have something to retreat to when you are writing the lyrics.

Okay. You have the perfect place to add a song. You have a title. Now what?

It's all up to you. Read lyrics. Read musical's lyrics. Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Wicked, Oliver - those are all great. They all have some fantastic lyrics. Read them like crazy.

Still wanna write a musical?

So, you've read lyrics to a million and one songs. You know basically what you wanna say, right? Just... start writing it. It doesn't have to rhyme. That'll come later.

Wow. I'm getting a little weird. Haha.

Anyway, keep writing. Stick with about one song a week. Get it perfect. Most musicals have rhymes, but not all of them. It makes them easier to listen to if they rhyme, so I would try to think of a few. But if not, it's perfectly okay.

And that's about all that I can help you with, because that's as far as I am in that process.

Hope I've helped a bit.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:24 am
thunder_dude7 says...

I've taken drama, and I know that, when it comes to writing musicals, there are three aspects:

1)Dialouge. You're a writer, you know how this goes. But remember, in plays, there's loads more, because you don't have to worry about it all being dialouge because...well, that's how plays go.

2)Songs. You seem to have the hang of this. I can write lyrics, but not music to go with it.

3) Directions. What you need to do is play them out in your head, then print them clearly on the page. If the person crosses the stage say "PERSON X crosses stage". Also note that, in stage directions, character's names are in all caps.

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:24 pm
Eimear says...

Guys, I really can't thank you all enough for this. I went into a kind a frenzy eureka moment last night- I didn't exactly jump out of the bath and run down the street without any clothes on (that is how that story goes, isn't it?) but I was pretty close.

You've given me the stepping stones toward my dream. I've even wrote the synopsis now. Thanks in millions.

Eimear xx
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:52 am
Icaruss says...

I wouldn't actually worry too much about formatting and props and such. I would just write it down, make the music, and then tailor it. It's like when people want to write a script, and they worry too much about how to do so, other than just doing it, and don't do anything in the end. You've gotta do it, then worry about if it's done right. That phylosophy doesn't really work in life, though. Just in writing.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:55 am
smorgishborg says...

Icaruss is right, don't over complicate things to begin with. If you really do go through with this, it'll be because your focused on the music and the plot, and you had something really special going.

Musicals depend on the music first and foremost. It's the rare musical that ever has a real hard hitting plot, although you should attempt to avoid the obvious clichés. Try to vary the music greatly, and come up with some catchy choruses which people would leave the theater singing. Musical lyrics depend heavily on rhyme and clever wordplay (in order to avoid forced rhymes), see that you do the same.

This is more difficult than writing a novel (I think) so good luck, and what you do produce- post here!
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:04 pm
spaced_out says...

here is what you need to do, READ musicals like ilike Freddie
then start to think and write
then act it out
then sell it for 1,00,000-but that's another story

Matt
if you can dream YOU CAN DO IT!

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:39 pm
Tatra says...

You might be able to pick up a few tips over at Script Frenzy's site. Although, Script Frenzy was back in April, so the forum's a little slow. There should be a few things that are useful there.

http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/eng/node

There's even a musical section at the forums: http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/eng/forum/238

Beyond that, you could use the search function to look for things on musicals.
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:44 pm
chocoholic says...

Well I'm hoping to write a musical sometime next year, so I'm very interested in how this turns out. I've already critiqued your first song, and I'd love it if you could PM me when you post the second.

And let me know if you need any help at all with lyrics!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:19 pm
Kang227 says...

There's no risk in writing something...the BEST thing that can happen is that everyone loves it and it's a huge success...the WORST thing would be that nobody likes it, but either way, you can be happy that you wrote it.
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom