z

Young Writers Society

Need help!

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sat May 17, 2008 10:55 pm
Gahks says...

(Not sure where to put this; please move if needs be.)

As you may be aware, I started writing a play called "Tabula Rasa" (now called "Submission"); I've stopped continuing due to exams and hope to start up again during the summer. I have a rough idea of where I want to take it but some people have commented that it reads well, but the revelations need to come at a much slower pace. Please could you contribute ideas on where to take the story next and how to flesh it out a bit more?

Thanks,

Gahks
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Sat May 17, 2008 11:17 pm
October Girl says...

So you need writing tips? Or a crit?
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun May 18, 2008 3:01 pm
JFW1415 says...

*Poke*

Shouldn't this be in Writer's Corner?

Also, as I haven't read your story, I have no idea. Maybe try these:

- Put it away and work on something else. After a while, you may find you're full of ideas once more.

- Watch people. I always get plenty of ideas from people-watching.

- Read. You can take ideas and meld them into your story. (No plagiarizing, obviously.)

- Make an outline. Then you won't get stuck again!

- Just write. Put away the last page/few paragraphs, and rewrite them a new way to get yourself going. Then keep writing. Maybe set a timer, and push out all the words, not stopping for 15, maybe 30 minutes?

- Write in different character's POVs. You may find a whole new sub-plot to follow. After all, the characters all have complex histories - we just don't have to learn them all. But maybe you could tie some in to the main story?

- Sub-plots work well to flesh out a story. You can't have one main idea - that gets boring. The focus is always on that one idea.

- Another fleshing out idea: take a paragraph and expand. Once I started with a two paragraph story. I turned on Track Changes in Word, and pretty much deleted everything and added more. I didn't stop until everything was red. That story is now about five pages, and much better.

I have no idea if that helped, but I hope it did!

~JFW1415

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun May 18, 2008 3:04 pm
Emerson says...

Yes. ^_^ I will move this to writing corner.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

“Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”
— Dylan Thomas