z

Young Writers Society

writing the first chapter is the hardest...help?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu May 08, 2008 2:09 am
kimmy says...

i always find the first chapter that hardest in my writings....they always come out so corny and feel wrong...what can i do to change my starting story habits?
Keep writing!
<3 kimmy

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...."
- Edward Cullen

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu May 08, 2008 2:14 am
OverEasy says...

First of all, you can capitalize your I's :).

When writing a first chapter I find it best to write down everything in my mind, then go back and edit and expand later. I don't worry about my punctuation, my spelling, my grammar, I just write it all down. After that I go back through and edit it and fix everything to my liking.

That's what I do anyways, but there are many methods. I personally cannot stand using outlines when writing. And I tend to write rather sparatically. I don't always start with the first chapter in a story (hence why it sometimes takes me forever to post things on here). Sometimes I start in the end or the middle to get a feel for the characters, then work my way back to the beginning. (I am sure that sounds odd).

Good Luck!

OverEasy
Life is for living.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Thu May 08, 2008 2:28 am
myfreindsavamp says...

I tend to start the first ch. and then skip chapters I can't do because I don't have the info for them but then I get stuck on those.

I'd say to have a friend help edit it ar give you pointers on what to change before you post it. Me? I usually just post my work and prepare for the harsh critic. It helps me build self esteem. :)
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu May 08, 2008 2:33 am
Emerson says...

The first thing you can do is ignore it!

Honestly! Just write your first chapter, and keep going. Only with some projects can I manage to edit the beginning and still continue cleanly. It's better to forget your beginning, and keep going, than spend forever trying to perfect it, and get no where at all. Especially with novels, when work count and length are your goal in the first draft. This might not work for you, but it does for me, and a lot of other people. Shut off your inner editor, as best as you can. ^_^
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu May 08, 2008 10:59 am
thunder_dude7 says...

The first chapter is rather hard, and the first sentence...ugh.

My advice would be to try and introduce the basic characters quickly. If you read the short story "Wine on the Desert", you will find that both characters--even the one that isn't there at the time--are introduced within the first paragraph.

Starting out with dialouge can be good too. Just state who's speaking, who they're speaking to, and try and get across a character trait or some basic information. If you read the first chapter of my story, Betrayed and Plagued, notice that that one line introduced both main characters, the fact that Allyson was Daniel's older sister, and some of their personalities.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Thu May 08, 2008 11:24 am
Angel of Death says...

I agree that writing a first chapter is hard. So what I do is take a look at the setting around me...is the sky raining sorrow or is it shining a yellow smile of rebirth...then I take a look at the people around me...its good to be in a remote place for this part...her hair is as red as the sunset that sets the sky ablaze...his eyes or as green as the ocean's tears...after you get the descriptions down build on the characters and form the plot. Ask questions about the character, if you have to base them off people you know or experiences you've had then sort of round the characters off to make them your own. Once the characters have a character, the setting should come alive to them. Pretend like your characters are real, then make the conflict or figure out what you want this story to be about. When you have all this stuff crammed together, I promise you'll have a first chapter in no time. Also, if it helps write an intro and make outlines.
Hope I helped,
Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu May 08, 2008 8:55 pm
JFW1415 says...

Simple: word wars!

Find a friend (I'm always available) and write for a set amount of time (usually 15 minutes.) Then compare word counts.

You can also play with yourself, trying to beat your old score. It helps you get the words down, since your racing.

Don't worry about editing - you can take years to edit, but if you wait too long to write, what will you have acomplished?

Good luck!

~JFW1415

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Sat May 10, 2008 2:07 am
Audy says...

I tend to imagine the first chapter like an opening scene in a movie playing in my head. I'm a real visual person, so the words usually come easy to me.

Sometimes it helps to begin with dialogue or begin in an action scene for your first chapter. Instead of doing an introductory thing, you know? Just drop your readers straight into your story and continue from there.

Anyway, good luck on your story! Always persevere =)

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sun May 11, 2008 4:02 am
Valnaria says...

Well, when I write the first chapter I try to introduce the main character, but not so openly, a bit more wide spread as if just tinkling a few details about her in spots that seem appropriate. I also like to add a little of the conflict at the end of the chapter, because I think the conflict should be introduce outright in the second or third chapter. I hope this helps.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun May 11, 2008 4:06 am
Church says...

I suggest info on the setting should come up first. Then a little iece of the plot to draw in a reader then start the fisrt action sequence with character/s. It works for me.
-"When God gives you lemons, you find new God" YouTube.com
-If the world is going to end soon, so be it. It can end without me. Myself
-http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?p=364993#364993 When the World Stops Spinning

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun May 11, 2008 5:42 am
Iya Ythmir says...

You shouldn't be too hard on yourself about it. Write what you want, just to have a gist of your characters or the setting, or the overall mood of the story. Let the words flow from you. You can edit everything later. It's just a first draft, right? Have fun. Then, once you've written a lot, try to organize everything, edit the grammatical mistakes.

That's what I do and I hope that it would help. Good luck on your first chapter! :wink:
Always act like a duck on water; appear calm and unruffled, but paddle like the devil underneath.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun May 18, 2008 5:43 pm
Jellybee says...

The first chapter is always the worse, I think. I don't know why, but it seems to be the case for everyone ^^. When I'm writing such long text that may- I say may 'cause there are always the possibility that it doesn't work- become a novel, I drop the first chapter. I wrote it, but I just delete it after my 3 first chapters.

When I finish all the redaction, I can add a first chapter, but it's purely psychological. I mean, mostly all the books I ever read begin to be interesting at the second chapter- if no, they stay boring and lame until the end.

Don't stress about your first chapter, because nothing is perfect, even less the first chapters,lol.
No one lies to everybody. Everybody lies to one. Pline The Young_

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Thu May 22, 2008 10:20 pm
TheWordsmith says...

You really want advice? Well, here goes.

First, if you know the plot, write it down. I never do, but I've heard that it works.

Second, the blank page is the best and worst thing for an author. So start writing, even if it is junk. Once you get the first word down, then the rest might come easier. It does for me!

Third, read some books on writing. They honestly help. Maybe not right away, but eventually you will come to appreciate them. Or some of them, anyway.

Hope that helps!

Reviews: 4
Thu May 29, 2008 10:52 am
Frangipani says...

What I do is start from somewhere in the middle, or wherever you are inspired to write, and work backwards. Writing the first chapter last is a good idea, because you know your characters better and you can add in clues and hints as to what is to come.

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns