z

Young Writers Society

What if I don't have anything to put?

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:59 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I am entering into the sticky territory of sending off sample chapters and synopses (is that the right plural?) of my novel off to literary agents, and it is now officially only the cover letter which is stopping me.

I have a good brief description of my book. I have my 'looking forward to hearing from you' type bit.

I have absolutely no biographical information at all. Well, obviously I could ramble on for an hour about my life, but you know, clearly they want writing credits and impressive qualifications, or something, but what if you don't have anything to put?

I won a short story competition when I was thirteen. That's about it. I have high hopes for a short story competition that doesn't close until June, but since I can't predict the future... :roll:

Any ideas?
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun May 04, 2008 12:41 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Make stuff up! Lol, just kidding. But seriously, don't be afraid to brag a little. If you're in college/university and you've gotten great grades in your literature/English classes, that's worth something. The short story competition works. Were you valedictorian or salutatorian? Mention that. How long have you been writing? (Professionally or not). That counts for something.

So yeah. Hope that helps!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun May 04, 2008 2:14 am
Emerson says...

Well first of all congratulations and good luck creeping into the writing world. ^_^ Don't ramble about yourself unless it pertains to writing. Publishers hate hearing about your personal life, because it's only a waste of their time!

I would mention the contest you won, and anything else you can think of. Perhaps mention that you are a member of YWS--but make it sound pretty. You are apart of a writing group and you often review other peoples works. Make yourself sound prestigious. ^_~ Not that I doubt you are. If you wrote something for squills *nudge nudge* You could say you've written for a monthly E-zine, although I don't know how much that would count for anything!

And, in the end though, if you have nothing to say, it shouldn't be too bad. Don't fret on it too much. Not to be a huge cynic, but your first time probably will not be "Yes". While you're waiting for replies/searching for new people to send to, find ways to add to that list!

Again, good luck. I look forward to purchasing your book one day. ^^ (Though the shipping, I am sure, would be outrageous. @_@)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue May 06, 2008 2:02 am
khfan890 says...

What if we're still in highschool? I'm in the same situation as Heidigirl, although I haven't won any contests (haven't entered any, either). But I do make good grades in English (my best subject). Is that worth putting?
Death is no respecter of persons. Just felt like saying that.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue May 06, 2008 2:54 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Hmm...I guess you could, although it probably wouldn't matter a lot. Just mention how long you've been writing and your plot should speak for itself. Write a great summary! :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Thu May 22, 2008 10:32 pm
TheWordsmith says...

Okay, I should be known as the random advice giver right about now.

So, here goes:

Read books on writing. I can't stress that enough. The Young Writer's Guide to Getting Published by Kathy Henderson is a gem. A cut, polished, set gem. There are others, but if you only want to read one, this would be it.

Mention anything that you've done, including graduating from elementary/middle/high school (only one) or college/ university. That counts!

That's all for now (flips through 'The Young Writer's Guide to Getting Published). I'll let you know if I have any other advice.

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney