z

Young Writers Society

Pirates

183 Reviews

Reviews: 183
Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:20 pm
LoveableLittleSock says...

Okey-doke people. I'm writing a novel. Got like, 50,000 books from the library and reading up on everything there is about pirates. I wrote the worst 10 pages I've ever written in my life, and that was the beginning of the book.

I have the beginning, because that's what I've been stressing about. Book's called "Mischief". 'Bout pirates, obviously, but thats all I got! Amber, the daughter of a well-respected count has her mother die. She goes to the pub often to drown her sorrows with her friend Geoffrey and meets the bartender Darien, the son of the original bartender who went out at sea for business. Geoffrey becomes a bartender 'cuz he needs a job and ends up killing the severely drunk fellow in a fist-fight (that the drunky started) and before he can be lynched the 3 of the go out at sea to stop off at another country or county of wherever. They are intercepted by pirates... and thats all I got. I have little scenes that pop into my mind from time to time but I always neglect to write them down. And I really don't know what happens AFTER they board the ship.

Yes, I've already thought of Dariens father being the pirate they're intercepted by.. thats just an "ew" kind of cliche thing.

Oh. I need help! Fabulous writers of YWS, HELP ME!
Last edited by LoveableLittleSock on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got YWS?

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:42 pm
blacktiger3915 says...

Hhhmm.... I'm trying to think. I going to ask darkdove for help. She writes good stories. Can it be violent? I love violence! More blood I say!
Don't send sheep to kill a wolf.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:20 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Hmmm...I would say don't make Darien's father the pirate, because it automatically makes me think of Will Turner. Be a little more original. Other than that, it sounds like a good, solid plot! Tell me when you post it!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Swottielottie says...

Yay! Pirates of the caribbean reference! Yo he me hearties! My only tip for you is WRITE A PIRATE SONG, whether the pirates are bloodthirsty or mearly scallywags, you cannot go wrong with a pirate song. Oh and I know its hard but don't be too simliar to POTC, I do that all the time!
Good luck!

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:23 pm
Dr. Jamie Bondage says...

I agree. don't make his father the pirate captain. It's too clich

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:35 pm
Audy says...

Hm, maybe you should try to write an episodic novel?

She's the daughter of a well-respected count, right? So maybe the pirates take her on board the ship in a hostage-type situation and so she's supposed to be doing work on deck or what-have-you, while the pirates wait for a response and commence their sea-journeys. This would be the type of thing where character-relationships and interactions and the pirates' backstories could be /really/ beneficial. Maybe by the time she's finished her journey she's befriended all the people on crew and she realizes that they're not such bad scalawags after all =P Maybe she doesn't want to go home?

Anyways just an idea you can use, or to help fuel your muse. I've always wanted to write an episodic pirate story, but I never have the drive or the time to do it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat May 03, 2008 1:40 am
Wcatgal says...

Don't make his father captain, that's been over used like an old cleaning rag. I say maybe once they board the pirate ship they're maybe put in the brig for a while. Then one day the pirates maybe put them to work and the three befriend one of the pirates in the crew. Maybe they make port at some trading village and the girl is reconized as the daughter of the well respected count by some one in the village she has met before or something like that. I hope this helps you with your writings.
War doesn't determin whoes right
War determins who's left

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Sat May 03, 2008 1:56 am
myfreindsavamp says...

Um Id say write your ideas down sothat you can go back to them and choose wich one is beter.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:52 pm
Grey says...

Imo i think You should be realistic and during a fight one of the three die only leaving 2 to fend for themselves

Random avatar

Reviews: 38
Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:40 pm
Squishy says...

i like the kidnap situation, here's my twist

she gets kidnapped and BAM she's a pirate ship wench girl (what else were us females good for back then?)

then, in the midst of self denial and sadness at being a wench, she allies herself with someone and overthrows the ship and BAM she has an entire functioning ship for her own.

Then, she decideds whether to take the ship home and turn it in or leave the ship on it's own. She decides though, that she loves the friend dude and BAM she's a girl pirate with her boy pirate on a ship to live happily ever after.
"All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. "

"No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that."

Reviews: 4
Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:40 am
SaraAnne says...

I totally agree this plot is begging for a fantastic pirate song.

I am excited. Pirates.

If girls are bad luck on a ship then she would need to prove herself to show that she wasn't badluck etc
How long can a horse run for?

An existential crisis a day keeps the writer's block away <3
— LadyBug