z

Young Writers Society

Ultimate science fiction cliche?

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:53 pm
Kang227 says...

Along with my six-book series, I've come up with concepts for several other books.

One is an alien race (parasitoid) that controls its host. Not very original, but I give it an original twist.

The individuals infected by this parasite also gain telekinetic abilities. Apparently, this is a big SCI-FI no-no. Is it?

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:00 am
~Volant~ says...

I don't think it matters. Technically, it sounds like something I saw on Stargate, where the hosts formed a sort of bond with the parasites and got intellegence beyond intellegence. Like, wow intellegence. make that FRICKEN CRAZINESS!! intellegence. haha.

As long as the parasite still has control over it's host, I think that's okay. Make sure that your readers always know who's the boss (parasite or host) even if the characters don't.
Where are we going?

Random avatar

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:44 pm
Kang227 says...

Hardy-hardy-hardy-har. I used to watch the Stargate SG-1 Series, too bad it didn't stick around longer.

But don't you worry, it'll always be fairly obvious who's under control. Subterfuge isn't really their style.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:05 pm
Prokaryote says...

Aliens themselves are a cliche. ;)

Prokaryote

Reviews: 2
Mon May 05, 2008 6:01 pm
AkiraXIII says...

Sounds pretty cool.
Just one question, well, I have a suggestion also (Feel free to ignore):

Question- When they disbond with the Alien do they lose the power? I'm assuming that they draw the ability from the Alien, so you may have to explore that.

And the suggestion would be that when they use this power perhaps the Alien's control over the mind should become greater, to maintain a sense of humanity under pressure.
Otherwise you've just got a dude with telekinesis and a bug in his head. <- Not as cool.

Just thought I'd throw my two-cents in.

Good luck!

-Akira.
"Everything is relevant. Every choice we make can change the world."
-Xegra the Thirteenth.

Random avatar

Wed May 07, 2008 4:43 pm
Kang227 says...

The organism controls the host completely, and causes the telekinesis.

The main character eventually retains the telekinesis, although he has to "shoot up" with the organism to do so (internal conflict ftw).
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Wed May 07, 2008 5:51 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

The way you describe it in your first post sounds as though it's off of The Host that's going to come out in a little while.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson