Young Writers Society

Bound for Glory

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:27 pm
Fishr says...

Hey guys!

Mythy- More or less, I'm writing again, yup. :D

ST: Heh... Looks like you're having fun with the Sons'. That little piece of dialgue was amusing.

Well, yes, "bum" is British dialect. Myth, you can correct me if I'm wrong. Welcome, Samuel's father, is British himself, and as Samuel matures, he slowly takes the dialect. The funny thing is, it seems Welcome has become more "Americanized," spending so many years in Massachusetts. He does say, "Mother" instead of "Mum." The only reasoning I've come up with is what at a young age, Samuel heard the term Mum spoken enough before Welcome went off to war. I have no concrete idea. XD It's one of those mysteries that I leave up to the reader to conclude.

Thanks for reading guys, and the feedback.

EDIT:

ST: Forgot to ask, where am I skipping tenses? I can't find them. (I think I'm going blind). XD

Oh yes, I've read Johnny Tremain. :D I read it two years into working with BFG. It's definately geared to the younger crowd. She ignores the "fun stuff" which I suspect because it's too gory. I like the "fun stuff" though. *hint* hint*
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:45 pm
Twit says...

Here's tense-skipping:

"Samuel...," Father said, shaking me gently, and jolting me out of my thoughts.

Past, good.

"I will," I shout, hurrying, pumping my legs to their full exstent.

Present. Switch. And I think you should run the spell-check on exstent. Extent?

But I still think "bum" and "mum" are way too modern. In England at this time, it was still "Mother".
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

365 Reviews

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:12 pm
Fishr says...

I wish to keep my original session untouched.

There is probably lots more mistakes than I've already counted but I rather not edit the original so I can use it for a comparison later. Kinda like a warped, writing experiment. I probably have you confused on the reasoning, yes? Hehe...

Maybe it's purely lack of sleep or... I've been neglected to be taught something long ago... but I have been always under the impression tenses were POV switches. This means, I'm a little, lost. :oops: Can Madam Shadow Twit teach me the ways? :)

About the "mum" bum" thing, er... that sounds - no comment! XD I think you're the first to bring the subject up soo... I find it intriguing and it gives me something to consider.

Thank you, Shadow. Cheers!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

365 Reviews

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:24 pm
Fishr says...

Well, after many months of putting Bound on hiatus, and the nagging of my uncle, I returned to it but my influence was not self will, nor my uncle. It was my grandmother, and in her last days, I sucked it up and wrote for six hours nonstop. I was determined to get my characters into the Green Dragon Tavern. Unfortunately, or perhaps it was a good thing, something very, very preculiar happened.

Firstly, to further explain, look at this portroit; circa 1770:

Does that look like a person that's affectionate? Even cuddly? Certaintly not - in the public eye.

Now, how about an original letter from Adams himself?

Letters of Delegates to Congress: Volume 1 AUGUST 1774 - AUGUST 1775
Samuel Adams to Elizabeth Adams
(First Continental Congress)

My dearest Betsy Philada June 28 1775
Yesterday I received Letters from some of our Friends at the Camp informing me of the Engagement between the American Troops and the Rebel Army, in Charles town. I cannot but be greatly rejoyced at the tryed Valor of our Countrymen, who by all Accounts behavd with an Intrepidity becoming those who fought for their Liberties against the mercenary Soldiers of a Tyrant. It is painful to me to reflect upon the Terror I must suppose you were under on hearing the Noise of War so near you.(2) Favor me, my dear, with an Account of your Apprehensions at that time, under your own hand. I pray God to cover the heads of our Countrymen in every day of Battle, and ever to protect you from Injury in these distracted Times. The Death of our truly amiable and worthy Friend Dr Warren is greatly afflicting. The Language of Friendship is, how shall we resign him! But it is our Duty to submit to the Dispensations of Heaven, "Whose Ways are ever gracious, ever just." He fell in the glorious Struggle for the publick Liberty.

Mr Pitts and Dr. Church inform me that my dear Son(3)) has at length escapd from the Prison of Boston. I have inclosd a Letter to him, which I desire you would seal and deliver to him, or send it to him if he is not with you.

Remember me to my dear Hannah and Sister Polly and to all Friends. Let me know where good old Surry is.

Gage has made me respectable by naming me first among those who are to receive no favor from him.

I thoroughly despise him and his Proclamation.(1) It is the Subject of Ridicule here, as you may see by the inclosd which I have taken from this days paper. I am in good health and Spirits. Pray my dear let me have your Letters more frequently--by every Opportunity. The Clock is now striking twelve. I therefore wish you a good Night. Yours most affectionately S Adams

1 That is, General Gage's proclamation of June 12, 1775, offering pardon to all people in rebellion except Samuel Adams and John Hancock.

2 (fishr's footnotes) I suspect Adams was referring to Battle of Bunker Hill which was fought in Charlestown; not far from Boston.

3 I also suspect that Adams was writing about his son, Dr. Samuel Adams Jr. An interesting side note. During this time period, all first born heirs were named after their father. I've yet to figure out the reasoning for this.

You'll see, or should, when writing to his wife, Adam's is the exact opposite when he's not raising hell. There's a nice reference in there too, regarding Dr. Warren's death during the Battle of Bunker Hill.

Mentioning all of the above, Sam Adams pulled a complete 180 on me.

“Benjamin!” Paul hollered.

Curious, I turned, and watched Paul waving an arm. I suppose Doctor Church was still within earshot because he turned, only to see Paul waving his arm about as if an unnatural force was controlling it. Church walked briskly towards us. He was now standing in front of Paul’s chest. I retightened my grasp upon the handle of the hatchet. I am not entirely sure the reasoning but Church’s presence made me feel uneasy. I too moved away, and stood to the right of him. I looked blatantly up, and frowned angrily. I hope Doctor Church notices my grasp.

“Why not go see your Mother?” Doctor Church suggests.

“Afraid?” I sneer.

In response, he coughs, and tugs at his cravat. “Come now. Surely your Mother needs the support of her son in these times?” Church says again, but with a less becoming tone.

“Samuel! Come here,” Sam said.

Sneering, curling my upper lip in the most grotesque manner I am capable of, “I do not trust an unholy Church,” and walked briskly by Sam’s side once more.

I had expected Doctor Church cursing my namesake to the great heavens above and beyond but, no, he chose to flat out ignore my antics entirely.

I spat, and stepped angrily forward but Sam seized my shoulder and held me back. I pressed forward, trying to use my strength to break his grip. No use. Sam Adams is sturdier than he appears. Instead, I resigned myself to yelling incoherently.

“I hate you! I hate this bloody world!” I charged but Sam pulled me back. “What good is this for? Death? Have you ever seen death, Church?!” I was seething, I knew, but the triggering of rage, I do not. All I was certain for sure; Doctor Church rekindled old demons.

Hot tears were now trickling down my cheeks. I gritted my teeth, and tugged forward once more in effort to break the hold upon me. Instead, Sam tugged me roughly backwards. I spun, and landed into an embrace? The anger swept away momentarily, leaving me awkward and confused. But there I was. Locked inside Sam’s arms, shielded from the chill, and now without the sight of Church, my body relaxed. It was incredibly odd and a tad uncomfortable. Never once had a single man hugged me besides family… Family. Then it dawned upon me. I was struck once I realized what was happening. According to Sam, he thought of me as his kin – a real son. I hugged him tightly, and broke contact. I looked up. I had too.

“Sentimental sap,” I remarked, than smiled briefly.

But there was no sign of good-natured spirits in Sam’s expression. His furrowing eyebrows suggested that he was angry.

“I wish to speak with ye, when the coach departs.”

I nodded. “Surely.

I watch Paul’s horse disappear from sight swiftly, than sighed.

“She is in capable hands, Samuel. Her safety is insured.”

“Possibly,” I reply skeptically.

“It is,” Sam insisted.

“What was it that you needed to tell me?”

“I hugged thee. In the public eye.”

“Yes… I thought that was rather obvious, Sam.”

“You are blushing.”

“I am not!” I shout.

“Regardless –“

“I am not blushing Sam Adams!”

“If I may, do ye have any notion of the sudden display of affection?”

His gentle tone was calming. This was not the Sam Adams I grew up knowing.

“Care to enlighten me?”

“In our meetings, ye have seen me raising chaos among the people. I appear extreme, do I not?”

“We should go and catch up with the others. I do not like being late.”

“Then wait they will. The Green Dragon is in Boston Common there to stay. Do I not?”

“Furious is the correct word. I have seen your cheeks a crimson red.”

“Yes. You have witnessed anger. However, it is not anger in its true form. You see I have the ability in forcing myself to get riled in order to redirect the minds of the people in the direction I see appropriate. Many, such as yourself agree with my motives.”

“Where is this leading, Sam?”

“I have never seen true anger or heard one so hurt.”

I glanced away sheepishly. “I was hurt, though I cannot trace its source. The sight of Doctor Church so close, perhaps it was Paul’s doing. He disliked him as soon as we arrived. Perhaps I needed a scapegoat to safeguard the sorrow still lingering from yesterday.”

“Which is why I disband the pact between us.”

“And hugged me in front of every major, bloody member. You turned me into a spectacle!”

Sam blinked.

“You look hurt by my words,” I said boldly.

“Ye assume it was so simple? Men do not just waltz up, and hug each other. That is a womanly practice,” Sam said bitterly.

“They do if they are family,” I shot back.

“There ye go!”

“I… Uh…”

“Take it as ye wish. It will not happen again anytime soon,” Sam said in the same sour tone. He walked briskly over to Shadow Fang, preparing the horse for mounting.

“Sam…”

He stops in mid-step, barely a few inches from me. I see his tunic, flopping in the slight breeze.

“Father of a revolution, I shall protect you.”

“Come. We must not negate our purpose any longer.”

“But –“

“What is it?”

“Your embrace was comforting. It helped.”

Sam grinned from ear to ear.

“Well, come on, Master Garrison! Come on,” Sam replied eagerly, and in the best of spirits so far today.

Both quotes were taken from 1770. It's very rough, and there are kinks I need to sort out, but I need them in the Green Dragon now to press forward. I can always return later.

Enjoy. :)

365 Reviews

Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:24 pm
Fishr says...

As my previous post may suggest, I'm finanlly inside the Green Dragon Tavern. It only took, well it doesn't matter how long it took to get myself motivated. XD Just as long as I keep returning, and plugging away, that's all that matters.

I... Well, I'm feeling slightly tenative in writing out the scene that has been running a muck for ages. I suppose I should feed them, then see where I'm led. *blinks* :shock:

I know for certain that I have a very P O'd Samuel Garrison but his actions are uncertain. Where the rage that should have long been banished when he was a young teen is flaring, I'm not sure. And so, Samuel agrees too. His emotions are intertwined with demons that will just not die! No matter how much I attempt to ease Samuel's axienty, eventually, something triggers distress. Perhaps he's not so different from his father. This is all the Boston Massacre's fault, or more preciesly, the dang Colonists are to blame, tenfold. *growls*

We'll just see the outcome, and the only good thing that will come out of this scene is that I get to work with Revere's famous engraving depicting the Massacre, and in the process, I will be able to twist history to my likely because I will not be bound to its laws presently. I love Historic Fiction for this! :D

Since I'm nearing the end of Our Bretheren, I suppose I shall release the title of the second book now. It will be Bound for Glory: Fight for the Fatherland!

365 Reviews

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:42 pm
Fishr says...

Angry, angry people. XD I'm enjoying their discomfort to every degree. I sound callous now. *shrugs* Oh well. I've been put through hell with them, and now, it's my character's turns.

Here's a brief recap with them:

Samuel - He might be suffering more greatly then I had predicted. In fact, he said it himself. A murder may have happened if not for a good friend - Sam Adams - retraining him in the heat of the moment.

Sam Adams - In this story, he has difficulty with coping. I had made the decesion early on in erasing Adam's family so now that he is alone, and without a wife or his children. (If you read about Sam Adams extensively, you may notice that Adams isn't always a "father figure.") So yes, his real life family is gone, poof, they don't exist. Sam reaches out to Samuel at some point in the story, and their bonds strengthen but those bonds, according to the firebrand - Sam - he requests that Samuel keeps everything in secrecy. So this "secret" bond carries on until 1770 hits. I have not a clue but Sam Adams is dumping his guts to radical Whigs such as John Adams, Hancock, Warren, Revere, and others. There was an acute emphasis made by Adams himself, not a word would reach the ears of the Sons of Liberty in regards to "Sensitive Samuel Adams."

I didn't know either that my Sam Adams was capable of embracing. It's all very strange but exciting.

Paul Revere - I had him setup as my own. Revere is a fun-loving, wise-cracking sort of person. He acts around Sam and Samuel as relaxed as a person can possibly achieve, and laughs quite a bit.

When 1770 arises, it's the first time I see for myself that Revere indeed has a serious nature about him. There so happens to be one man that he seems to despise for reasons I'm aware of, but it's funny that it would be Revere that shows animosity towards Benjamin Church openly.

It's Church that Samuel claims he may have attempted to kill if not for Sam Adams holding him back.

John Hancock - is himself one hundred percent if he were alive today. Vain, wealthy, yet, charitable. I think down deep Hancock is annoying Samuel, and given some of the details, that's not a good thing. Even so, with his gregarious attitude, I absolutely know events are going to change. For better or for worse, I'm just here for the ride.

I do know Hancock is challenging Samuel's integrity, and in Colonial America, slandering is an awful price. I'm grateful that slandering hasn't officially arose yet. Even so, Hancock is basically showing doubts in Samuel's loyalty within the Whigs, and why had Samuel attempt to charge at Church.

Doctor Joseph Warren - Is being a jerk. Too silent for my tastes. Perhaps the Boston Massacre; the deaths are added pressure. Surely he or Doctor Church had been sewing up wounds or amputation. I sense there is a heavy toll within him, and talking isn't important. Jerk.

Doctor Benjamin Church - What can I say? He has at least one person out for his blood. Whether Revere or maybe Samuel reaches him first, I'm not sure. I do know he's not the most popular member in attendance. And that's why I don't understand Church. All the rude remarks, Revere watching his every move like a hawk, why is the man - how can someone stand, and not flee? If I was targeted as a traitor, I'd be furious! Yet, Church acts as if he's the least bothered. I know historically, he has a major story to tell, but I'm now wondering if there's a larger scale in which Benjamin Church will weigh in.

That's not all of the characters I'm currently working with but these are the ones who aren't happy or are creating friction intentionally or not. In a nutshell, I've finally entered where historically, the prominent leaders are painfully aware that something is amiss, and so the men begin distrusting one and another. Hence, why Hancock is targeting Samuel.

How's all this for conflict? Jeez...

365 Reviews

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:43 pm
Fishr says...

My progress is coming along nicely. It feels like the beginning when I was writing in the wee hours of the early morning or until late at night, just having fun with my characters - getting to know them.

Now that I know my main ones, I'm seeing patterns in personality, and gaps are linking up, thus filling in the holes. It's good.

Samuel G.: It's unfortunate but he's suffering. The more I press on, I watch a bitter, young man, who has not yet found a way to cope. The death of five people has really frightened him. Why? Samuel witnessed it. Without decent sleep, nor food, he's right now a time bomb.

Added to his anxiety, he has rekindled his friendship with Joseph Warren, and Warren and another - Benjamin Church - are about to patrol the streets, while the Whigs' meeting concerning the "Massacre" is commencing. Now, Samuel relizes if men can drop like flies, his friends could too. The thought of the Good Doctor Warren dieing, it troubles him so, that he reacts in rage.

And that is currently where I've left off.

365 Reviews

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:36 pm
Fishr says...

I didn't feed them. XD They're not happy of course but are angry not at me - for once - but at Sam Adams. Hehe...

Two days ago, took out my old, dusty notebook that contains character notes. Well, some plans were foiled but the major ones that needed to be said weren't changed. So, at least my characters and I agree somewhat.

It's too bad that Dr. Warren is sent off outdoors with Dr. Church as patrol men. I really like him but I despise Church in every aspect as a seething Samuel G. and a watchful Revere do. We all agree, Church must be desposed of.

365 Reviews

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:24 pm
Fishr says...

Worked three hours on Bound today. I'm afraid my chapter March 5th, 1770, is coming to a steady end.

I used to dread working it. Basically, I was afraid I'd screw up. Having read throughly on the Boston Massacre, I was confident on that part. It was the new non-fiction people involved I feared. Past experiences have led me of course, and this can't be so now. This chapter is vital. It has to be written in such a way, that the famed Tea Party is connected to the roots of Brother Massacre. The two events have to run along side each other smoothly.

Ah, well, about five months later... XD I own my new characters (mostly), and I'm no longer afraid. I will miss March 5th, but I'm looking forward to 1773. There are a few plans I have but like much of my work, it's never officially planned. I let my characters run a muck and write as it comes to me.

There's bound to be many surprises that await me... The journey thus far has been nothing short of exileration because of my style. Nothing is prepared or set in stone. I await it all.

365 Reviews

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:35 pm
Fishr says...

Having Fun with Garrick:

Garrick, prounced as GER-rick, has been very quiet, only revieling tid bits every so often, like once every third month. Not exactly a good thing but I'm not worried. I've dealt with shy characters before.

Soo... I've begun, for fun - er revenge - in putting him in situations he's generally not capable of coping with. Let's lookie at my p-offed character, because we all love angst. XD

Situation 1:

Confronting the memory of his dead wife

Outcome

First, Garrick attempted to run me through with a sharp stick since a bayonet was not handy at the moment. When he calmed down, and left me be, I watched him speak to the ghost. Basically, he apologized for failing again, letting someone else close to him die. He told me he felt helpless, that he was destined to be alone. He tells his wife he's sorry for not being able to protect her (even though the situation was unpreventable; it was not Garrick's fault), and that he'd try to continue on with his life, even though at this point, Garrick is concidering suicide. But he promises that he'd try to stay alive because he knows his wife - and mother - would think unhighly of his morals in death, if he should take that path.

Confronting Domestic Abuse

The Outcome

Garrick again tries to slain me. XD

A survivor of demestic abuse since two until his twenties, obviously he's not remembering his Papa fondly. Garrick is now currently thirty years old. When forcing him to remember this dangerous point in his life, I didn't get a lot of answers. I just recieved answers I already knew - how he got the scar behind his neck, and why his speech is ghastly. There's a slit through Garrick's tongue, making it forked. This injury was in regards to the abuse he endured as a boy.

"Papa pushed me hard. I fell flat against the wall. My head rang. I yelped, and then screamed when I realized I was missing a portion of my tongue. After that, then I felt the pain inside my mouth, and tasted the blood. Papa laughed. He mocked my misfortune, calling me a sissy for crying so."

365 Reviews

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:30 pm
Fishr says...

More Fun with Garrick

Last time, I put - forced - him in two situations that are generally very difficult for Garrick to face head on. Ninety-nine perfect of the time, I don't let up on the tension, but... ;) But I never said I'd be kind to him either. :shock: :wink:

Skipping through a field of daisies

Outcome

Ripping each one from its home in the ground, and tossing them over his shoulder without a second thought. There, another flower is in front of him. Garrick reaches, yanks it out, and tosses it to the side.

I ask, "Why the open display of unfriendliness? Most people enjoy smelling or looking at a flower's color."

"Weeds, he says. "It would be hard lying on my back if the threat of bees are there. I am clearing a spot."

Well, can't argue with Garrick there. Bees are very frightening. No doubt I have a phobia of them. He fooled me though. I thought yanking the daisies was unkind, distasteful, and was his way of showing me that he was depressed. I was wrong. XD

Wearing a dress

Outcome

Garrick looks around the field. There isn't a soul for miles. He's all alone.

"Well, this girlie garment will keep me warm tonight. At least flees on those pelts will not bite and itch all night."

:shock:

Wasn't expecting that reaction... XD I guess it's true. Garrick is a survivor, even if he has to wear a dress to escape the night's chill. Very weird, and a bit unsettling. Am going to have a transsetter now?

365 Reviews

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:57 pm
Fishr says...

Still having way too much fun with Garrick but eventually I will have to sit down and really think about two deaths that haunt him. Challenging yes, but the amount of time I've spent roaming around in cemeteries, I hope I can come up with something creative. Perhaps I should pay another visit to Boston, walk the Freedom Trail alone, and this time, dress up in period clothing. If I'm unable, then, like my main character, ditch the shoes and walk barefoot. The Granary Buriel, King's Chapel, and Copp's Hill should be able to tell me stories surrounding these two deaths that bother Garrick.

Isn't Historic Fiction fun? I get to visit again the places that are mentioned in BFG for enjoyment, and plus it harnesses my research always further.

Aside from the mysteries surrounding Garrick's past, I'm hard at work. Not a day goes by now when I'm not thinking about the characters and plot. In fact, I'm currently setting up Sam Adams. XD He doesn't know it yet but he's about to have a new roommate. Two men under the same roof, in the 18th Century... How much more friction can I add? You haven't seen what I have planned for the Tea Party. :P The pressure will keep stacking until the breaking point.

365 Reviews

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:33 pm
Fishr says...

When New Roomates Become a Hassle:

It's been a long time since I've wrote anything in this thread. A few have asked when will I finish? Probably when Hell freezes over. I honestly don't know when I'll finish an already three year project. But that's not the point. What is, is that I'm slowly pushing forward in ending the first book.

Now, if things couldn't get any more entertaining... I've officially broken all the rules applied to Historic Fiction. I've litterally taken my period and turned it upside down in some parts. And then there are some scenes where I've tampered so much into someone's life, I managed to have their toes amputated, have them survive through a fever but in return for their stroke of luck; I promptly take away their memory and replace it with a swollen ankle. But oh it gets better. Indeed it does. This same person is currently recovering in bed but not just any. The bed happens to belong to Sam Adams... Samuel G. is badly injured because of his inane stupidity, related to arrogance, and his supposed heroism rewards him unkind side-effects.

What makes this senerio interesting is that in my world, Adams has taken a keen liking to the young man who's barely in his twenties when the Massacre strikes. Actually Adams and Samuel's bond goes back farther but nonetheless, he has decidingly so taken Samuel into his home.

Already there has been quite a few mishaps. I shall let you imagination form the conclusions know what Adam's character was like in the public eye and the simple fact that Samuel is dangerous in bed, asleep.

I have it estimated that it will probably take two weeks for the swelling to go away on the ankle unless Samuel acts retarded and tries to walk on it beforehand, in which case, it'll take longer to heal. When I badly sprained my ankle in three different locations, it took a full month for the swelling to decrease. Five years later, it still bothers me every so often, more out of annoyance with actual discomfort.

But's that's where I stand at the moment. I'm waiting for Samuel's memory to return and his swelled ankle to heal up. He's not looking at his amputations just yet. It freaks him out apparently. The other factor that hasn't been derailed is his father who from the very beginning of the story; It's very obvious that Welcome is protective of his only son. And now look what happened to Samuel due to his poor decesions - again!

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson