z

Young Writers Society

Bound for Glory

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:30 am
Fishr says...

I'm stuck. I'm unable to write anymore. Really, anything actually. Check my blog, and you'll see why. :) Until then, I thought this thread would help me get my ya-yas out, and organize at the same time.

For those who are unware, my novel(s) is historical-fiction, geared around the American Revolution. It's been done before, such as Johnny Tremain, but my interpetation is setup much differently. You really go through a timeline, and experience (I hope!) firsthand how the trifles affected one family, and the people connected to them. Uh hem.., Moving on...

Currently, and I've mentioned it a few times in my blog, I'm technically half done. Whew! The reason is there are two books. Yup! Our Bretheren is the first, and currently I'm up to the year 1770 - the years are actually the chapters. By 1772, I haven't made up my mind if I'll end book one at the current date or carry it onto 1775, and end it there. I guess I should do more researching. ;)

The second book already has a title. XD Unfortunately, browsing portfolios is disabled but if you really want to know, the title was originally in latin, and it can be found on Paul Revere's bookplate. Don't you love me? LOL... Will the title be in latin? Possibly... XD

Three characters that are bashing me over the head

Lovely, eh? There are two for sure who cannot wait to take the stage and preform. The other is awfully shy but tells me a few bits here and there.

So, there is:

Duff - Will NOT, leave me alone under any circumstances, and he's only four days old! Sheesh! How presistant can one person be? At least he's a beer-swigger! That always makes things interesting! Anything can, and will happen! YES! :D

Angus - This dude creeps me out. It's as simple as that. There are times where I think Angus actually is sensative or mildly caring, but I should know better by now... Frankly, I'm not looking forward to working with him.

Garrick - He's the shyest character I have. He rarely speaks, which sucks but at least Garrick possess one nice detail then the entire cast. Though he would propably knock you in the jaw just for making eye-contact (I'm serious), he has shown me a great deal through body postures, and just acting out scenes, soley without words. Actually, it's quite amazing. I think when the time comes, probably in the second book, Garrick will quickly become one of my favorites. There is just something about him... He's like a big teddy bear, who's been yearning for attention a long, long time, since birth actually. When you meet Garrick, he'll be in his thirties or somewhere around there.

Well, that's all for now because I have to now pack for vacation. I'll be passing the heart of the Revolution - where it all started - Boston! It'll be very refreshing to further my research and visit the actual historic places mentioned in Bound for Glory.

Ta! :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

362 Reviews

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:03 pm
Fishr says...

I have lots of interesting scenes colliding. Some are adventureous, others are sad, then there are those that really have no basis on reality. In other words, confusing. My characters are running a mock, and promptly enjoying themselves it seems, especially that I'm unable to write... :x LOL!

Well anyway, while my uncle is editing this story, I'm planning an important meeting that will partake at the Green Dragon Inn, Boston. This meeting will be a nice window open because now I, and others, will be able to see how Samuel Garrison has matured, (in terms of politics). I will also get too work with the Sons of Liberty once more, but with a larger scale of people, which will make my task very difficult. Within the this meeting in which the subject is revolving around the heated "Boston Massacre," the Adamses, Hancock, Revere, Drs. Joseph Warren and Benjamin Church are all part of it, along with three others. And that is the difficult task: presenting the non-fictional characters in light, just how they would have behaved centuries ago, both in mannerisms and dialogue.

Ack. Colonial dialect is indeed a headache some days but I'm glad I spent months training myself - for fun! So, hopefully I can once again achieve specific dialogue and make it interesting for the reader.

That's about it on my progress. I'm just planning the second meeting, which I'm very excited about it. Why? Well... That is why historical fiction is fun. There are certain things we do not know - how something happened, and that's the beauty of this genre. ;) In this case, who was it that really suggested to Revere that he set to work on his famed Boston Massacre print? Yes... I will enjoy this scene very much.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:07 pm
Writersdomain says...

fishr wrote:Duff - Will NOT, leave me alone under any circumstances

Haha, I feel your pain more than you know.

At least the scenes are still coming to you even though you are unable to write; hopefully you can at least jot down some ideas then. ^_^ Ooh, and have fun going to Boston! I hope you get some good ideas. *hugs* I might have to go read parts of Bound for Glory on SPEW now...
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

362 Reviews

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:32 pm
Fishr says...

LMAO! Well, Duff since has been silenced for the time being. My trip to Boston quited him. I think it's because he's found out what's really in store for him, and he flat out left me high and dry, LOL! Typical.

I have some nice shots, thought it was a pain in the butt because it was raining. I was the only one that I could see walking around the Freedom Trail in shorts, a T-shirt, and not the least bit fazed being drenched.

That trip did really open my eyes more, and it was fantastic to see the many landmarks that are mentioned in the story. At one point, I was half-tempted to take off my shoes and stroll the cobblestone streets just outside of Revere's house, like Samuel Garrison. XD But I didn't, in fear of strange looks, LOL! (and the fact it's a city - ew!)

I might have to go read parts of Bound for Glory on SPEW now...
*hugs back* I guess I should probably add more on that board. Haha... Thanks for showing interest WD. I think I should probably make a pretty thread about my Boston Trip. XD

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:56 pm
Sam says...

You should!

Walking barefoot in the city isn't all bad- especially when it's for the sake of art! BFG will be all the better for the trip, though; it's totally good for enthusiasm when you get to see what you're writing about. :D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

362 Reviews

Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:09 pm
Fishr says...

it's totally good for enthusiasm when you get to see what you're writing about.
Agreed. It was fun pretending to be that twerp - S. Garrison, walking from say, the Old South Meetinghouse to the outskirts of the Old State/Customs/Towne House and elsewhere. XD It was really great pretending to be one of my characters, though my two comrades - uncle and aunt - had no idea what was going through my head! XD

I should have gone all the way and dressed in the whole getgo: breeches, 18th century shirt and all! Heh! (I'm not wearing a dress, no way. Nope!) As a matter of fact, a tourist guided who was dressed in colonial cothing passed me. I said, " Hello, sir."

He replied, "Hello, lady."

"Tory or Rebel?"

He smirked. "Rebel of course."

"Tory here. Best I keep my distance. Wouldn't want a rebellion," I smirked.

He returned the gesture, turned and continued on with his guide of Boston.

How cool is that?

In other news, Duff seems to have come back with a vengence. It's introduced himself in the Char/Answer game. Damn fool. Can't wait until it's his turn or at least until I get his character straightened out. Oh well, enjoy it while it lasts... :wink:

362 Reviews

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:40 pm
Fishr says...

Well it's off to work on the second meeting which includes nine people. Good Lord, what have I gotten myself into? :S

It'll be fun! Off to the Green Dragon Tavern I go!!
(It's a real place found in Boston by the way, and was used by the Sons of Liberty). :P

362 Reviews

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:30 am
Fishr says...

I'm a failure. I just wasn't in the zone tonight. I blame this writer who says he's been published for ten years. I was distracted by him as he was promoting his book.

By seven-ish, I was starting to get into the groove of things, but then turned around. It was near dark, and my house was miles away. What a perfect time to ride a bike!

Stupid, published writer... (Just kidding, lol)

So here's what I accomplished in a stretch of about three hours but don't hold your breathe:

Background: Before I put up my script, I suppose a brief outline is an order. Wouldn't want you to stab me in random directions with a pitchfork for utter confusion.

The date is March 6th, 1770; the day after the Boston "Massacre." It was an event that had so much energy, so much outcries against British rule, a revolution nearly started right then and there - in that colony. In total, five were shot, two died immediately. The others would die the following day. There were also survivors that were indeed struck but the wounds didn't hit any vital organs.

In total there are nine people in the meeting but two have left: Drs. Joesph Warren and Benjamin Church. They are strolling the streets, keeping a keen eye on suspicious British activity. This was a common thing but usually four to six or more were on alert, guarding the streets late at night but things are a little different, and the doctors are actually guarding the Green Dragon Tavern in the early morning - approx. 6:00 o' clock.

As a side note, to set the mood further, when these "guards" were patrolling the streets it wasn't uncommon for some of the Tories or a few inferior Regulars flee for their safety. One example would have been a group that assembled a body, neck bound in a hangman's noose, strung up in a tree, and that same body represented you, as your eyes watched it burning in effigy. While you may become entranced, the group circles around, sneering, and threatening to run you through with a knife. Helpless, you cannot escape. It's too late, you're trapped!

This leaves Martha and Samuel Garrison, both the Adam cousins, Hancock, Revere and the mysterious Byron Baxtor, who apparently skill is busily scribbling away page upon page of parchment.

Key=
Sam - Samuel Adams
Samuel - Samuel Garrison

OK, my el-sucko script:

[
i]Inside Green Dragon Tavern[/i]

(Samuel G. and Martha are sitting towards the back at a circular table, but still able to hear conversations. Samuel is on the right, Martha is sitting to the left of him)

Sam: (standing towards front, gathered by Revere, Hancock, Baxtor and John Adams) *claps hands high over head* We all know the reasoning for assembling this day, correct? *looks around with serious expression*

Hancock: Absolutely!

Revere: Yes. *speaks softly*

John: *nods*

Sam: Then we must act now!

Hancock: But with caution. We must enact an opportune moment. Regulars will cut us down if one or many reach word of our identities. As long as there is a British bayonet left in Boston, I shall follow the course and remain here.

Sam: Hmm... That is a profound statement, Hancock, and one to consider deeply; remaining when one's life is at risk. What is your thoughts Brother John?

John: There is much to consider, I agree.

Sam: That is all ye have to say?

John: For now, yes.

Hancock: This is absurd! Something has to be -- no there should be something done! Our fellow Bostonians are dead. Who has it? A plan, a form of action? Who? Who?!

John: Shh... Calm yourself, John. If this meeting is to have stability, clear minds are essential. Mister Revere, you have not said a word.

Revere: Just hoping Doctor Warren is in decent health accompaning that Church.

*there is a brief silence*

Sam: What do ye mean by that statement?

Revere: I have reason not to put trust in Benjamin Church.

*a chorus of angry whispers erupts*

Hancock: He is a Whig, one of us.

*more angry whispers*

Revere: Regardless, watch him closely.

Sam: Ridiculous accusations! I am in agreement with Hancock but a person should know the reasoning behind it, Paul.

Revere: *shakes head* Be aware. That is all I will comment further on this subject.

Sam: Paul! Stubbornness will not suffice. Come forth and explain why --

Samuel: Silence! All of you!

Sam: Samuel? *is taken aback*

John: The young Whig wishes to voice his opinion. It would be unwise to dismiss his --

Samuel: Let me speak.

John: *cocks and eyebrow*

Hancock: The boy is rude.

Samuel: If rudeness is the measure of taking action in a timely fashion, then I accept that as a compliment, Hancock.

John: Go ahead, Mister Garrison.

Samuel: *taps finger on table angrily* Now why should I say a word? So much as a syllable? My rude tongue might deliver more.

Martha: Samuel! You are being rude! Apologize to these men.

Samuel: No. I will not apologize for speaking the truth, and the manner of is -- Oh!

John: I do believe a great emphasis is troubling you.

Samuel: Sam or Paul has already informed you I gather?

John: No. Informed me -- we of?

Samuel: *looks uncertainly at Sam* You never told them before arriving at my home this morning, did you?

Sam: Master Garrison, that is a most, well, if ye have not come to the realization: this group that stand before your body; we are like family or need I remind you again?

Samuel: You have made your point, abundantly.

Hancock: Well? Well? What news do you bring, lad?

Samuel: I, and my Mum, we have been to King Street.

John: Today?

Hancock: Where exactly?

Revere: Young Garrison has already been to the State House, since yesterday. He is one witness to the crime.

*John and Hancock exchange glances*

Hancock: Can I presume --

John: He was there? Had he seen --

Revere: He was not but a couple of feet away. Ask him yourselves.

Samuel: *shakes head, with a sad expression* In times of crisis, I normally cannot be silenced so easily but I shall not speak further.

Hancock: This is not a time for stubbornness! Speak. You must!

Sam: *intervenes and stops Hancock from speaking further. Walks towards Samuel and looks at Martha uneasily. Motions for Samuel to step aside and then whispers*

Are ye able to continue? Perhaps it was a mistake to persuade ye to come.

Samuel: *tears catch in throat*

563 Reviews

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:18 pm
Writersdomain says...

As always, lovely dialogue, m'dear. At least you got some done last night. ^_^ I've really taken quite a liking to Samuel.

fishr wrote:Stupid, published writer... (Just kidding, lol)

:lol: Haha
~ WD

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

362 Reviews

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:47 pm
Fishr says...

I've really taken quite a liking to Samuel.

Others on this board have said the same thing. I just don't see it. In fact, my uncle said, "If you end up killing Samuel, I'm never speaking to you again." He was serious too. :shock:

Of all of my characters, Samuel shares more of my traits than any other. That is my only reasoning for continuing to write for the brat - he is me! And it's very easy to enter his mindset no matter the vacations I take. I sense he will put me through hell before the first book ends. Can't wait until the second! LOL!

EDIT:

Got a new comp today, which means I can write again without the worry of this old clunker crashing. Now you watch, once I have it, ALL twenty some odd characters will be silent as that pile of shit outside rotting by the curb to my neighbor's driveway. :lol:

362 Reviews

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:55 pm
Fishr says...

Been thinking about the next book. The next half of BFG, and I'm having mixed feelings but it's about the characters. More on that in a bit. Well firstly, I can't decide if I want to keep the Latin name or convert it to English, which actually might make the title more dramatic but do I really want that?

It's actually an easy decesion but I'm making a larger fuss about it. I hate being nitpicky. ;)

As for the characters, I really think some of them are going to suffer. The type were it's gut-wrenching. The type of feeling where you're on the brink of a mental breakdown because you feel so lost, confused and above all, depressed. Swallowing one's pride, and coming to terms with the awful road you chose before you realized where that path would eventually lead you - into a dank forest within a nightmare, and you are trapped. There's no escaping, and returning as you once were. No, your decesions have forever changed your moral and character.

Between the two, Samuel and his father, I'm beginning to wonder who may have it the hardest. Then there's his mother too. She supported revolutionary activities. Prehaps her choice as well, even though Martha's husband forbid it long ago, she'll have possibly more regrets than the others.

It's hard looking through the eyes of them, and knowing full well what's in store before it's happened. I'm such as sap, LMAO!

On a better note, my new comp is coming soon. Yay, the withdrawls will come to an end! This comp is like a super machine compared to my desktop.

563 Reviews

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:29 pm
Writersdomain says...

Plotting. What fun. ^_^

It's hard looking through the eyes of them, and knowing full well what's in store before it's happened. I'm such as sap, LMAO!

No, you're not a sap. I understand, and it is hard. But I'm sure you'll be able to do what must be done, and it sounds like the things that happen to your characters work out for the betterment of their character.

Happy plotting and writing! :wink:
~ WD

362 Reviews

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:38 pm
Fishr says...

I understand, and it is hard. But I'm sure you'll be able to do what must be done, and it sounds like the things that happen to your characters work out for the betterment of their character.

I know I can't let up on the tension. That would render me a weak writer. Besides, given the atmosphere, it would be a pretty boring story if every one took up knitting instead. XD

I think the things that will happene will drive them into suicide, LOL! Just kidding of course.

362 Reviews

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:51 pm
Fishr says...

After I've gotten over the initical shock of what a stupid answer I received, I can now point and laugh.

Here was my letter to a magazine - History Magazine, I sent yesturday:

Good afternoon -

I would just like to take a moment of your time, and ask if History Magazine publishes the genre of Historical Fiction? My preferred interest in colonial America, particulary in Eighteenth Century surrounding the pre-American Revolutionary years. I have noticed that subject has already been covered in Nonfiction, due to the publications listed, but I wondered if Historical Fiction was acceptable too.

Regards,

Jessica Bruce

The response I received today:

Dear Jessica,

Thank you for your query, but, no, we don't publish
non-fiction.

Victoria

OK. Let me try and comprehend once more. They publish articles geared to the fall of the Roman Empire to WW2 (according to their testomonials), but they will not publish Non-Fiction??

Did I miss something completely??? I so confizzled.

On a better note, there's my first rejection BEFORE I sent the manuscript. I'm on a roll already! LOL! :lol: I should have started getting published ages ago! I could have had a stack of rejection letters. :P :lol:

362 Reviews

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:09 pm
Fishr says...

Finally got my laptop. I don't have much experience with one so getting used to it has been, annoying and interesting. All I need is Word from my old desktop, and I can transfer the files. Then I'm ready to get cracking.

Tis a shame though. It was fun plotting and my chars annoying me so.

EDIT: I have Word now, and I wrote some in BFG. At first I thought it was crap, and I was a bit disappointed. Then I looked it over just now, and hey, it's not half bad! Due credit goes to my chars. They run the show, I do not.

WC: approx. 130,000 (forgot the exact count)

Uh, Lisa, the whole reason we have elected officials is so we don't have to think all the time. Just like that rainforest scare a few years back: our officials saw there was a problem and they fixed it, didn't they?
— Homer Simpson