z

Young Writers Society

Jack's Publishing Attempts (Updated)

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:53 am
Swires says...

Yeah a lot of your stories are certainly fit for publishing. Hope to see your name out there somewhere.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:28 pm
Firestarter says...

Well, no reply from the magazine I submitted to just yet, but ...

The Sky So Deeply Red will be back!

I'm treating my NaNo attempt as a practice in writing for the Ancient Greeks, and I have been imbued with new character ideas and a new spin on the Thermopylae tale. With the film 300 coming, I feel it is my duty to give the Thespians their due, and stop everyone harking on about the Spartans! The Thespians stood their ground and died too!

Anyway, I saw a great book about the Ancient Greeks day-to-day life (Illustrated Companion to Ancient Greece or something like that) which I can get with my Borders discount :)

My characters are gonna be totally reworked. I'm going to use Herodotus' prief mention of Dithyrambos, son of Hamartides, who he mentions as the most skilled fighter of the Thespians at Thermopylae, as one of my characters. I've been brainstorming a great idea in my head *doesn't give anything away*.

I also want to give the story a really classical feel. I'm not going to actually have the Gods as characters (I'm no Homer, after all) but they are going to play a deeper part in the narrative -- affecting the character's actions and motives and such to a great extent.

I can't wait to start planning!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:32 pm
Wiggy says...

Sounds awesome Jack. Keep it comin'! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:21 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

PARTAY! w00t, Jack, I'm excited.

:D
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:22 pm
Snoink says...

OMG. THAT SOUNDS AWESOME! WRITE!

Me? Obsessed with Greek mythology? NEVER!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:30 pm
Firestarter says...

Greenjackets was rejected. Looking back, it probably doesn't deserve it. I don't think I'm at that stage where I deserved to be published, and I don't want to be published by a webzine that has been running for three months, because that means nothing to me. I still need to improve in many areas, but hopefully in a couple of years I'll be getting there.

One thing though ... why do editors always say "it does not fit our editorial needs" when they mean it's not good enough? Ah, the politeness. I prefer the truth, but I guess it's easier for them to send templated messages.

On to the future!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time