z

Young Writers Society

What Happened to Benjamin Marcos?

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Tue May 22, 2018 3:10 am
View Likes
shaniac says...

So, since I'm new and absolutely blind to all of this, I decided to take on Last Man Standing or LMS. And the novel that I decided to thrust into the ring is What Happened to Benjamin Marcos?, which is currently in the process of being planned with only bare bone characters.

The main premise of my novel is that Ronnie and Jayson Storkhill finds out that their grandma was an ex-serial killer due to a newspaper clipping about an unsolved case that was tucked away inside of a box and a sign that reads "nothing says oops like accidental murder".

The main characters (as far as I have planned out) are as followed:

Ronnie Storkhill
Jayson Storkhill
Patsy Willsburg
Mrs. and Mr. Storkhill
Benjamin Marcos

I haven't figured out the exactly why Benjamin dies or why Patsy kills him by "accident" or even if the murder was really an "accident". Anyway, this will be my thing to write out the plans for my novel as LMS rolls around. Can't wait to write it!

Keep a look out for incoming plots, characters, and random tidbits.
Shaniac starter kit: you must be fond of wind, squeaky shoes, and moldy bread.

You're like the Flash but in reading - @scribbleinks

The hardest thing about growing up is the ground.

54 Reviews

Wed May 23, 2018 1:05 am
View Likes
shaniac says...

Kind of Backstory:

Patsy Storkhill was 19 when she killed Benjamin Marcos in 1997. The real reason why she killed him was to please the club's president, Edward Hamstring, of which she is apart of. Though, at first, Patsy didn't want to join the club. She figured it would be one of those things you see on TV that just leads you into trouble. But her friend, Chloe Robertson, insisted they join to meet new people. Patsy didn't want to see Chloe upset, so she agreed.

As a token for her efforts, Mr. Hamstring crafted a sign that read 'nothing says oops like accidental murder' because he later found out that Benjamin's murder was an accident since Fredrick Damon disappeared. But since Patsy killed someone, she was apart of the club. It wasn't until 1998 when she killed Fredrick Damon, Patsy quit. Mr. Hamstring threatens to kill her if she doesn't kill Fredrick as he was going to tell the police about the night of when Benjamin died.

After these two murders and Patsy quitting, Mr. Hamstring sends people to watch over her family, just in case she decides to go to the police. It is a tight knot situation as one wrong move and Patsy is dead.

Regarding the case about Benjamin Marcos, it has been opened for 31 years.

Last edited by shaniac on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:06 am, edited 7 times in total.

54 Reviews

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:43 pm
View Likes
shaniac says...

Shortcuts:

Last edited by shaniac on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:28 am, edited 9 times in total.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:04 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

I really dig this! Gotta love a good family drama, right? ;D Especially with a murder or two thrown in.

Gonna toss a few questions your way: Is the story mainly told from Ronnie's POV or is it a flashback to Patsy's? What approximate year is it set in (considering you said Patsy was online at 18 and is Ronnie's grandma)?

On Patsy: Was she a wild child or of a more tame temperament? How does she treat her grandchildren? Does her partner know about the murder?

I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to see it posted!
stay off the faerie paths

54 Reviews

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:29 pm
shaniac says...

@Lareine - thank you for your questions!

I'm still in the process of figuring out how or who is telling the story. I'm kind of drifting to it being in the third person, mainly because I'd like to go back in the past and focus on Patsy's emotions and steps of how she tried covering this up, but at the same time, I'd like to write it in the first person (because that's kind of what I'm used to when I'm writing).

With the year, I'm kind of hoping that this will take place in 2016. I don't *exactly* know the date where Patsy killed Benjamin, as that too is in a work of progress. I may have to do some research or ask the right questions, like when was the internet around and when did it become big?

Patsy, at the time where she joined the club, was just following the lead of her best friend. I kind of see her as just trying to fit in and believing the lies that Mr. Hamstring had prompted. When she finally got out of that scene (I'm considering that she may have killed one more person or something before leaving the club all the together-this might prompt Mr. Hamstring sending people to watch over Patsy while she lives her normal life), Patsy did marry and her partner knew nothing of her past. Patsy didn't want to risk losing her partner over something like that and whenever there were people outside the house, Patsy just dismissed it as the neighbors.

Her partner eventually died of natural causes and eventually, the club people stopped watching her. So, Patsy hasn't told anyone of how the murder actually happened. Which would lead to a huge surprise to her daughter and loads of family drama to come afterward.

If anyone has any more questions, let me know!

54 Reviews

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:17 am
shaniac says...

Characters

Ronnie Storkhill

• Short description: Ronnie is 16 with short curly brown hair and almond shaped hazel eyes. She is stocky with longer and thinner legs (kind of an hourglass figure). Ronnie has a knack of sticking her nose in other people's business and collecting bottle caps. She spends most of her time watching shows about unsolved cases on her parent's TV. She has a great memory and known as a bit of a liar. Her brother, Jayson, has fallen victim to some of her lies. Ronnie has a problem with believing that everyone is better than her and desperately tries to find her own reason in life.

Jayson Storkhill

• Short description: Jayson is 13 with black close-cut hair and almond-shaped blue eyes. He is chubbier than his sister (also known as Endomorph with high body fat; pear-shaped). Jayson only wants to read his comic books and play video games, not to be involved in anything that Ronnie has planned. He has a pet brown hamster named Ozzie that likes to run around in the wheel stationed inside of his cage. Jayson has a vivid imagination and lacks the ability to convey sarcasm.

Patsy Storkhill

• Short description: Patsy is 60 with curly white locks and wider green eyes. She has a thicker upper body and evens out the rest of the way (pear shape). Patsy tries to avoid the past at all times and quite acquainted with medical staff (aka the police and hospitals). She has a problem with going a bit too over the speed limit (which is why she knows the police so well is because she used to run into them quite a lot back in her day). Her room is spotless with everything in its own place. She likes to knit her grandkids sweaters and gifts them at Christmas.

Lucy and Peter Storkhill

• Short description: Lucy and Peter Storkhill have been happily married for 20 years. Lucy is 32 with a stout with an oval face and small hazel colored eyes. She wears t-shirts, jeans, and black flats. Her overall opinion depends on her gut and what her mother taught her long ago, and that was "don't trust an apple that was dropped instead of thrown", which basically means you shouldn't worry much about someone who gives up on something instead of going the distance to accomplish it. Lucy also has a knack for making cookies for her children and husband. Peter is 33 with a sharper facial structure and deep blue eyes. His brown hair is all over the place and has a problem with finding clothes that match. He enjoys reading over the newspaper at the dinner table and playing the piano with Ronnie. He taps his feet when Peter is nervous or angry. Peter also enjoys fishing, gardening, and building random things that take up too much space in the house.

Benjamin Marcos

• Short description: Benjamin was 32 at the time of his death. He was Damon's shofar who didn't want to cause much trouble with anyone. He has brown hair that styled to the left, his eyes were greenish-blue and almond shaped, his face was oval with a small dot on his chin and when he died, Benjamin was wearing a brown tweed jacket over a fancy white button up, black slacks, and brown loafers. He was described as careful and courteous as well as shy and "kept to himself for most of the night", one person said to the police.

Fredrick Damon

• Short description: Fredrick was 30 when he disappeared on the night he was supposed to be killed. He was described by several as having an egotistical personality and wanted to host the party to only show off his impressive job at a local and dying law firm. He has brown hair that is styled to the left, his eyes are blue and almond shaped, and his face is oval with a scar on the chin. Fredrick was wearing a dark blue suit and pants with a white button up and black dress shoes. Many people speculate that he disappeared to get away from the crowd but many suspect that someone kidnapped/killed him.

Edward Hamstring

• Short description: Edward is 45 with dark brown hair and deep-set brown eyes. He has a rounder stomach, which makes it harder to wear suits. His face is fat with a large chin. He likes to keep his business and club a secret as most of the work is held underground. If you want to join the club, you have to kill one (1) person on the "To Kill List" that is tackily stapled to a wood wall. His personality is described as carefree but strict. He tricks people into doing his dirty work by talking with "smart words", or twisting whatever someone else said to make it sound completely different from what they originally said.

Sheriff Jacob MacAndy

• Short description: The only sheriff in town who knows more than meets the eye. He is 56 with close-cut brown hair and grey eyes. He never smiles and there are frown marks on the corner of his mouth. He doesn't like talking to people and keeps to himself most of the time. He knows Patsy personally because they went to high school together and were best friends for a while.

Natalie Marcos

• Short description: Natalie is 16 with shoulder length brown hair that is usually braided and swung over her shoulder. She has wide sky blue eyes and a heart-shaped face. Natalie is quiet and likes to follow a schedule/have at least a plan for doing something. She is best friends with Ronnie and provides her with the first piece of evidence of the unsolved case. Benjamin is her granduncle and she wants to end the case of who killed him.

Detective Travis Seymour

• Short description: Travis is 35 when he is handed the Benjamin Marcos case and was described by some as "witty but demanding". He is also seen as a laid back dude who enjoys getting too deep into cases and will fight anyone who disagrees with his statements. He has a mop of brown hair with stunning hazel eyes and an oval face with some a hint at a stubble. Travis grew fond of getting his ankles deep into cases through reading mystery thrillers in his spare time at school. His friends would pick on him for being so serious with them and at one point, worried that he may end up doing harm. Of course, this was far from the truth. Travis didn't like having to deal with people who didn't understand him and went on his own way. His parents were both proud of his work and tried to help the best that they could. He began thinking more openly and outside the box. He is very stubborn and won't back down without a fight (which explains why he hasn't given up on this case, several years later). Though, by the time the case is solved, it may go onto another detective. Travis would probably still be the main detective on the case until he gets older.

Chloe Robertson

• Short description: Chloe is 25 and has short wavy brunette with olive eyes. She is slender and lean body type with a happy energy. She is a photographer and takes pictures of everything, and dreams of becoming a filmmaker. Chloe is the person that people go to for entertainment. She gets embarrassed easily, makes jokes at the wrong time, she keeps to herself, and kind to everyone. Chloe buys people stuff all the time and doesn't want anything in return. She is fine with not having her way and a people person.

Last edited by shaniac on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.

54 Reviews

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:58 am
View Likes
shaniac says...

Book Cover:

Last edited by shaniac on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

54 Reviews

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:26 pm
shaniac says...

What Happened to Benjamin Marcos? Murder Timeline

6:30 pm: Fredrick Damon is picked up by his chauffeur driver, Benjamin Marcos, at his private estate. During the ride, they discuss where the party is being held (which is at Damon's condo on the other side of town) and the different things that will be there, including a movie and a live band.

6:50 pm: Damon arrives at the party but before Benjamin drives away, Fredrick suggests that he come to join since it is a party that is celebrating Fredrick's dying law firm. Benjamin kind of hesitates but goes anyway.

7:00 pm: Benjamin and Damon split up. Damon heads over to a group of friends while Benjamin goes to the drink station, grabbing himself some fruit punch since he doesn't like to drink heavily. He keeps to himself for the rest of the night, only talking to a few people here and there.

7:15 pm: The movie begins. Chloe Robertson is showing the film. Fredrick encourages people to go ahead and watch it. The live band also begins and plays soft jazz music. Everyone is having a good time.

7:25 pm: Damon pulls Benjamin into the kitchen to have a toast before Fredrick goes onto to talk about the law firm and his accomplishments in life. Benjamin, as mentioned before, doesn't drink. Fredrick finally gets him to have an alcoholic shot. They have a toast and drink it. Benjamin complains how sour it is while Fredrick pats him on the back. Damon then leaves the kitchen to go out and watch the movie while Benjamin stays behind. This would be the last time Damon sees Marcos alive.

8:00 pm: Helen Bernadette, the housemaid, heads into the kitchen to fill up the mop bucket because someone had too much to drink and puked on Damon's glass stairs. When she enters, Helen goes to the supply closet. When she opens it, a body falls on her. She pushes it back and screams, running out of the kitchen. Benjamin Marcos is dead.

8:10 pm: Fredrick Damon is last seen, after giving his speech talking to a girl before disappearing and turning up dead several days later inside of his burning car.

8:50 pm: The police arrive and everyone attending the party is told to stay calm while they investigate the scene.

Last edited by shaniac on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

54 Reviews

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:06 pm
shaniac says...

Setting:

This is a rough spot for where this novel will be taking place. I'll update/change anything later on.

Name: Shanesburg, Kansas

Population: 100,000

Description: Nestled on the edge of Kansas and away from all the bustling cities such as Topeka, Shanesburg is a small town with a gas station, a school, several buildings like a McDonalds and a police station, and a mining cave that rumors the interest of being haunted. There is plenty of farming available as the main things grown is corn and wheat. The mayor, Keeton Lyson, boasts that "Shanesburg is a wonderful town with a diverse amount of people. Come on by and see the giant corn statue! It'll be a trip worth remembering."

Last edited by shaniac on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

54 Reviews

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:00 pm
shaniac says...

Updated Premise

The case surrounding the death of Benjamin Marcos is regarded as the longest and strangest of 1997. Evidence of his death was regarded as an accidental poisoning. The main victim, who died by setting their car on fire, disappeared on the night of the murder. There have been several suspects (ranging from small-town crooks to known killers), but the evidence doesn't come up as planned. The case ends up being pushed aside and forgotten.

Skip forward to 2024 and Ronnie Storkhill, along with her brother Jayson and best friend Natalie Marcos, will figure out the real suspect of the 31-year long-unsolved case of what happened to Benjamin Marcos. And the main suspect may just turn out to be their loving 56-year-old grandma.

Last edited by shaniac on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:14 am, edited 8 times in total.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:29 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'm so here for this! You should chat with @BlueAfrica about the unlikely grandma character!

What intrigues me here especially - though I don't know if it's the route you're going for - is the unreliable narrative approach? Even if this in Ronnie's PoV it would be fun to see them speaking to Patsy and others and not being sure what they believe and what they don't.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

I LOVE YOUR BOOK COVER!!!!!!?!?!?!?!? AAAAAA!!! IT LOOKS VERY GOOD. 10/10 would pick up that book and read. Totally ... judging by the cover.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

54 Reviews

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:25 pm
View Likes
shaniac says...

Oops, I didn't see your replies sooner!

@StellaThomas - Thank you! I'm still working out the POV, but I may use the unreliable approach as you suggested. I do think that I can cover more ground with the plot that way.

@soundofmind - Thanks! In this case, judging a book by the cover is alright. ;)

54 Reviews

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pm
shaniac says...

After some help from @Lareine, I figured and changed some plot things:

- The story takes place in 2024 (because originally if it were to take place in 2016, Patsy would have a 10-year-old child and that would be a lot of emotional trauma for the mother and I don't want to put her through that). She kills Benjamin at the age of 19 in 1997 and the case is considered to be opened for 31 years.

- Patsy also has Peter a year later with her husband (she quits the club because she doesn't want to do the life of killing anymore). And I'm kind of the sidelines of thinking that maybe the club manager would send someone to overlook Patsy and her family.

- Also, an update on Fredrick's personality but he is a trickster. He tricked Benjamin into being killed because, at the time of Ben being accidentally murdered, Fredrick was still the club owner (who is now Edward Hamstring). Benjamin Marcos was Fredrick's shofar at the time of the party and just talked to him about his problem and promised to raise his pay (which doesn't happen cause Ben is dead).

- Patsy had help killing Benjamin as when she tried to fire the gun, her hands were a bit shaky and it misfired, hitting a nearby window. The window breaking caught Ben's attention and Patsy decided to use a knife to finish the job. When that almost worked, there were two guys that helped finish the job off. They then cleaned up any evidence and threw the body into the closet, before disappearing from the scene.

I will add things here and there as I continue thinking too hard planning this novel.

54 Reviews

Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:46 pm
shaniac says...

I got some more ideas from a plot session with a good friend of mine and I'm just throwing them on here because I don't know where else to put them:

- Benjamin is stabbed by Patsy but dies from poison by Fredrick Damon
- Fredrick and Ben are same room and they have a toast to Fredrick's dying law firm.
- Fredrick notices the time and then pardons himself. Benjamin turns around and fixes up the drinks on the tray. Patsy then enters the kitchen, stabs him, and believes that she killed him with the stab. Then leaves the room, blending with the crowd.

So there are some spoilers that I didn't want to include but if you want to know more about this, then look if you dare:

Spoiler! :
- Patsy's friend finds out Fredrick's secret that she knew all along (which was he was the owner of the club)
- Patsy's friend, Chloe Robertson, plots the entire whole thing right up to where she gets Patsy to join the club that her father owns. Patsy doesn't think of it because it is her friend and she should trust her.
- Chloe is basically the mastermind of the whole thing and Fredrick and she had a thing, which causes him to fall in love with her. Chloe doesn't have time for love and is really manipulative.
- She plans the entire thing to get her father's love.
- Jacob MacAndy is helping Chloe do this whole thing by covering up the important details. She needs a partner and he was the perfect candidate.

How does Ronnie find out about the case?

She finds out about the case from her best friend, Natalie Marcos. Natalie gives Ronnie a newspaper clipping detailing the small events of Benjamin Marco's death back in 1997, during the summer. Ronnie is bored and has nothing to do for two months.

What is her motivation to do the case?

Figuring out the main suspect and making her summer more exciting.

I'm also adding a new character to the list of characters I've created for this story. There's a lot and I'm hoping maybe to work on the prologue? Because I want to get the beginning out of the way but also kind of wait for LMS to come around to write. It's a bit of dilemma.

Last edited by shaniac on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god -- the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!
— William Shakespeare