Young Writers Society

Patience is a Virtue

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Patience is a Virtue

So this is another novel in the long arc of WHH novels.
Meaning supernatural stuffs and comedy and religion and aliens combined into one not so neat plotline.

Definitions Because I Really Like to Use Them to Show Stuff:
virtue - a habitual and firm disposition to do the good
sin - an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law

Heavenly Virtues
Traditionally, these were:
Spoiler! :
- prudence
- justice
- temperance
- fortitude
- faith
- hope
- charity

With whichever pope, a different list was formed to better match the updated list of the Seven Deadly Sins. They are:
Spoiler! :
- chastity
- temperance
- charity
- diligence
- patience
- kindness
- humility

Seven Deadly Sins
A refresher in what they are:
Spoiler! :
- lust
- gluttony
- greed
- sloth
- wrath
- envy
- pride

So for my purposes, the main characters are the traditional virtues and then the 7 deadly sins that haven't ever really changed.

Characters - One Line Descriptions

Fortitude - eldest sister of the virtues who is not in the mood to do anything and took over the job for Fear when he left under ~mysterious~ circumstances.
Prudence - could show a bit of skin tbh, she's much too fond of sweaters, to the point where she made them into pants.
Justice - went out to Walmart with Anger once and when someone backed into their truck, felt the need to make things right.
Temperance - always restrains herself, well most of the time.
Faith - is always at church even though she likes to criticize these Bible thumpers.
Charity - they work at the church store every day and love it, but wish Carol would just get some new curtains already.
Hope - he likes to wear a lot of gold and red, hopes that he doesn't have to deal with too many sinners, at least not the wrong kind.

Lust - might have slept with one too many people, he can't tell. Twin brother of pride.
Gluttony - likes cake and can you really blame them?
Greed - currently working a mortal job at the IRS because working as a banker was just too cliche.
Sloth - moves a bit slow with their thoughts sometimes but eventually gets to a really good story.
Wrath - is busy off fighting criminals through time and space, and really doesn't have the patience for more family drama.
Envy - wants every part of the American dream and he will get it god dammit, including the husband and the dog.
Pride - is Fortitude's #1 favorite sin and knows and boasts it.

Plot:
It's basically like a suburban sitcom/dramedy sort of thing. In the beginning, there's the backstory of how they're the oldest things to exist in the universe and have worked for every religion. And then the Christian god pissed them off by thinking he was the only god, so now they're basically in witness protection and trying to live the American dream.
Well, at least some of them are...
Last edited by Brigadier on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

766 Reviews

Tue May 22, 2018 9:55 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

I'm working more on having an opening plot scene where Fortitude gets out of prison after Pride comes to rescue her.
And by prison, I mean a bunker in Washington D.C.
And by Pride rescuing her, I mean they light the place on fire knowing that a public investigation can't be made.

And the first chapter is probably going to jump from like 1960 to 1968 very quickly, with flashbacks along the way.

Either that or they'll slowly move through the first 8 years, I can't decide.

766 Reviews

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Real LMS planning is officially beginning and I've already got the first scene rolling in my head.

Clara Jeanne McGovern lands back in her old self in 1760, after spending several eternities as the goddess named Fortitude. During one of those periods, she married another virtue named Patience, and created a rag tag unit of soldiers, who would work on contract for any pantheon.

After going to work for the God and then being written out of the cardinal virtues, she's had enough and wants out of the business. So her contract is ripped up by her other lover (the God), after they realize how old she is when looking over all the names on the contract.

Shortly before she leaves, Patience dies.
There goes her wife.
When she awakens the morning after her first wedding, she finds that her fake husband is dead, by very unnatural causes.
[he's fake because he was gay and they were best friends and it was 1760 lol]
Very unnatural as in gutted and hung over the barn.

The first section is her hunt for his killers and founding the MIIA.

766 Reviews

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:41 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Second section leads into the American Revolutionary War, which is both s magical and mortal war, where on both sides of the Atlantic, they're forced together.

Then that section basically goes through an explanation of all the other wars the character is involved in, in both the magical and mortal wars. It ends in 1945 when she's captured by the United States government.
[because even though supernatural creatures and mortals are aware of each other's existence and working side by side for a couple hundred years, they keep collecting the most powerful ones. the leader of covens. like clara.]

15 years pass and the plot is brought to 1960, when Pride comes to break her out of prison.

766 Reviews

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:19 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

In the section of the 1960s, we see that the MIIA has gone a bit downhill since Clara left.

But since they're now dealing with the Cold War, everything is back in business, and she plans to revamp the entire system, while also making money and regaining her status as a patriot.

Even though this section has a lot of violence, it has the most comedic moments before we hit present time.

Also a series of flashbacks to her days as an amateur time traveling goddess and then to her days shortly before returning to earth.

This section ends at 1968.

766 Reviews

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:22 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

The next section picks up in 2018, when Clara and Pride have been living as various happily ever after couples.

Everything is going relatively alright, until the rest of the sins and virtues, get fed up with the Christians and ditch out to find Fortitude and Pride, the respective leaders of each army.

Fortitude and Pride have been in joining their semi retirement, so finding 12 sins/virtues and a few other people on their doorstep, on one late thursday night, was a bit of a surprise to say the least.
Even though they don't want to, they take their family in.

And this is when the suburban supernatural comedy begins.

@blueafrica it gets to comedy eventually, there just needs to be a background

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Lolol then I'll make sure to keep pushing through whatever dramatic, depressing parts there are until I find the humor again.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

You have this amazing ability to make things hilarious and deadly serious at the same time.

Prudence is my new fave. Fight me.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

766 Reviews

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:42 pm
Brigadier says...

@StellaThomas
That is like the best summary ever

766 Reviews

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:50 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

More Characters

George Bowman
- Clara's first husband
- very gay
- but lives in the late 1700s so married Clara
- is a spy during the American Revolutionary War
- founding member
- realistic partner is William Monteclaine

Martina Giovanni
- vampire
- something grandmother of Joseph Giovanni (StS)
- another founding member of the MIIA

William Monteclaine
- warlock
- shapeshifter
- founding member
- see relationship to George

Michael Lord
- archangel
- farmer
- really done with humans but needs Clara's witness protection program

that god who thinks their name is God
[spoiler alert: it's not]
- another ex lover
- genderqueer
- is not a nice person
- admits this and tries to be nice
- fails
- that's their whole plot line

766 Reviews

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:55 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

A Few Things I've Realized

God dammit Clara, stop sleeping with people.
Besides the 3 that she's married to, she's had intimate relationships with thousands of gods during her time as chief virtue. And thousands of humans and humanoids. And other beings that don't quite fit to a category.
Guess she had a lot of free time.

Pride = LGBTQ+ pride
He comes to rescue Clara from a maximum security prison in Washington DC and stops to flirt with a series of security guards.

Clara may or may not have a pet. Have not decided yet. Might have a cat army because @blueafrica failed me.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:03 pm
BluesClues says...

you know how bad I am at keeping track of literally everything

766 Reviews

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:14 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Plot Stuff

Cat army.
Totally gonna have the cat army.
Taken from a real life example, it's 5 cats and a skunk.

Lea - turtle shell that sometimes shifts into a small dragon
Chance - black and a good luck charm
Socks - is a scout and somehow Clara is communicating with them
Scout - is also a scout
Mittens - very sharp claws and is always wearing mittens
Oreo - the skunk who doesn't do much but eat cookies but is still useful

I've also determined there will be a lot of flashbacks to things that happened in different versions of Heaven.

I'm really just avoiding thinking about the plot for now.

In the past I would definitely say who you would find inside. Not so much today. Place is bonkers …. As is everywhere
— Greg Specter