z

Young Writers Society

Why music is my inspiration

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:54 am
LordGreenleaf says...

Hello there, my name is LGF and this is the first time I've done anything like this on YWS.

I'm writing this to tell you about my experience about how music can inspire you, and how much it's affected my writing.

I don'r write stories or articles or novels, I write poetry (here's one http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=110189) and I've been writing it for about four years now. I started out writing poetry because I was listening to How To Save A Life by The Fray, which is such a beautiful song and I had this need to get the feeling down on paper.

And everntually I developed the skill, and I found poetry an escape, a way to put feelings on to paper. Music inspired me, when I listened to a particular song, you know after you hear a really good song you have this rush of emotion? I try to capture it, the first feeling and impression you get when you listen to it.

One of my favorite songs, Open Your Eyes by Snow Patrol I turned into a poem;

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=110189)

I did put a twist on it and interpret it as I like, but that's what I do; it's how I create poetry.

So I just wanted to share with you my method to creating poetry, listening and being inspired by music, and then putting that feeling as best as I can on paper.

LGF
Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes. - Jim Carey

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:51 pm
Tenyo says...

They Frey's 'How to Save a Life' is such an amazing song. I can see how that would get you into poetry. Birdy's 'Help the People' is one of my favourites too.

I'm a novelist, but when I'm thinking out the characters story arcs I imagine them as montages to different music tracks.

When you write a poem, do you see it line by line or do you see it as a collection of things that slowly take shape?
We were born to be amazing.

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

If music is the food of love play on...
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:33 pm
LordGreenleaf says...

Definately a collection of things that take shape Tenyo, what about you?
Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes. - Jim Carey

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:35 pm
deleted5 says...

I always write with music generally with a similar theme to the story.
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

Make your dreams come true. Don't wish for them, work for them.
— Lilly Singh