z

Young Writers Society

Ideas

662 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 662
Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:17 am
Messenger says...

OK, so I need some help. I have so many book and plot twist ideas in my mind right now and I really can't decide on one to go with. Any ideas?

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:20 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Go with your gut. That's my advice.

Think long and hard about the "pros and cons" of each story. What you're excited about writing, what you're not so excited about writing (i.e., plot holes or an undecided ending), that kind of thing.

Most of the time, I'll get a gut feeling that'll tell me to go with my "favorite," even if I didn't think I had a favorite. Something I feel a particular connection to. If that makes sense.

If that doesn't work, another option is writing the beginning of each story, like the first chapter. Then reread each chapter of every story idea, post them here to get feedback, and whichever chapter you and the people around you are most interested in should be the one you go with.

(Though if the one you're most excited about is different from the story that was most well-recieved . . . well, I don't know what to tell you.)

If you're too lazy to write the first chapters, you can also sit down and write just the outlines. Whichever is the most developed or intriguing you could go with. What I do is write out the outlines and ask myself questions about each—would I find something like this in a bookstore? If I did, would I buy it?

Of course, I'm a bit weird. :wink:

But like I said before, gut instinct should tell you everything you need to know.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:26 am
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Really, you need to plot out your story, stopping each time you have multiple ideas. When you get to the multiple idea point, trying thinking about the outcome of each plot twist or happening. Will it be good for the story? Will it be bad for it? It'll help narrow down your decisions a bit. Then, when you get into the story, make sure you're not afraid to change your mind. If you get to a part and decide it isn't going to work, change it! There's plenty of room for plot twists in any good sized story.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:13 am
Rosendorn says...

Go with the most interesting, and the one that won't write you in a corner. When it comes to ideas, I go with what keeps my attention the most, and the longest. I rely on his interested I am in ideas in order to continue working on my projects. So for me, how much fun I'll have writing it and how I can actually continue out of the idea are important.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:40 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Go with all of them! 8D

Mash the mush together, twist the twists around each other, take characters from different genres and see what happens when they bump heads and tread toes.
We were born to be amazing.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:32 am
deleted5 says...

What I do is try all the ideas in either a plan or an actual chapter and then think about how the story could develop. This happened with me with around 5 different ideas and I tried my best 3 and finally decided on one. Remember, you have years to write whatever you want so if you decide to change your mind in the future it doesn't really matter.
Good luck!
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

662 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 662
Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:17 am
Messenger says...

Just wanted to let you all know that I have decided on one idea. So thanks for the responses I am attempting to take all of your help into consideration.

I am writing the outlines slowly, thinking through it all.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:25 pm
Dreamer84 says...

Alright I don't know if this was already said but my advice is to maybe mix all your ideas together into one giant amazing writing who knows it could be fun :smt003
Don't let small minds convince you that your dreams are too big ~Unknown

As a writer, I'm more interested in what people tell themselves happened rather than what actually happened.
— Kazuo Ishiguro