z

Young Writers Society

Character deep dive for a short story in works

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 pm
View Likes
DrFeelGood says...

Using the writers corner to store any research for a short story I am working on. This would include character building, world building, character motivation, and the 4 part short story itself.

If you find this interesting and/or have any suggestions on how to improve feel free to add it here.

134 Reviews

Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 pm
View Likes
DrFeelGood says...

Outline

Notes:
- First person narration
- Theme: What makes an overthinker and can you find peace with yourself?

Chapter I: Land and Water

Section I:
A young protagonist (8-10 yo) watches a reality show where people run through a maze. The game has 3 outcomes. The contestants either solve the maze, end up in the water or get caught by guards. The game is thrilling to the protagonist until he watches an episode where somebody cheats their way out of the maze.

Section II:
The protagonist, now in his late 30s is a sales executive. We see him diligently working towards a presentation, finding all the ways his idea can get shot down by the client. He wins the contract but gets booted off the project because the client doesn't find him trustworthy.

134 Reviews

Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:25 pm
View Likes
DrFeelGood says...

Research Notes:

Corporate Sales Notes: TBD

What kind of product does the protagonist sell?
-> Idea: Security Solutions sold by someone who doesn't appear to be trustworthy?

Why does the protagonist not appear trustworthy?
-> Explained in the next chapter. (Central theme being betrayal leading to lack of trust spiralling into overthinking).

Is there anything else can be signalled from the section I?
-> Not sure as of now.

134 Reviews

Sun May 05, 2024 10:05 pm
View Likes
DrFeelGood says...

Rework for Chapter 1:

Outline
- Updated Theme v2: A character with a difficult past learns to re-establish trust

Chapter I: The Assist

Section I:
A young protagonist (8-10 yo) watches a football game with his brother. In a thrilling finish, the team they are supporting loses due to a failed assist. His brother argues that the striker should have done it himself while the protagonist thinks it was just bad luck.

Section II:
The protagonist, now in his late 30s is a sales executive. We see him diligently working towards a presentation, finding all the ways his idea can get shot down by the client. His boss provides him with several key resources who can help him win the contract. He does all the work himself and wins the contract without any assists.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu May 09, 2024 7:12 am
Shap1953 says...

Thanks for information.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
— Albus Dumbledore