z

Young Writers Society

Creating A Real Life Writers Club

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:41 am
wolverene13 says...

Any body live in Topeka and actually want to meet physically? I'm not much of an online writing site kind of person.

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 am
deleted30 says...

If you're looking for a face-to-face writing club, I'm not sure YWS is the place for you. Not to sound mean or anything, as YWS really is a site for any and all writers, but nonetheless it IS online.

As for an offline club experience, rather than trying to solicit people on here to meet up with you, you're better off going to Google or Bing or whatever other search engine you have and typing in "writing clubs [insert town and state here]." Reason being that YWSers are from all over the place, and most of them are quite happy getting feedback online.

I'm not sure how old you are, but you could try to find a writing program at your school or any local activity center. I have a writing club in real life that I attend in my area; it's a non-profit organization that helps kids/teens develop a love of reading and writing. You probably have some place like that near you.

(And while you might meet some writers that live in your area on here, you probably won't meet as many as you could by just Googling, and half of the people you do meet probably won't be comfortable or willing to see you in person. After all, the Internet is full of dangerous people and a lot of parents aren't at all okay with their children meeting up with strangers—and rightfully so.)

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:06 am
niteowl says...

Hi there and welcome to YWS!

I don't know how many of our members live near Topeka. However, for safety reasons, we encourage all of our members to use caution when sharing personal information and meeting each other in person. Many of our members are under 18 and there's a lot of shady characters on the Internet.

If you're over 18, there are sites like meetup.com where you may find what you are looking for. That said, there's a lot of great advantages to an online community like YWS! You can read and submit a wide variety of works anytime you please and interact with people who share your interests from all over the world! And you don't even have to leave your living room! :D
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 am
Iggy says...

Remember! Internet Safety! Please don't meet someone you don't know offline. The most important thing to us is your safety.

I suggest you stick with going the clubs on the site, or doing as Lucrezia said and looking for some clubs at your school or somewhere in your town.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain