Young Writers Society

Movie Director Looking For Stories

Reviews: 0
Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:46 pm
View Likes
SunWaterProduction says...

- AriaAdams

Thank you so much for those questions !

No, I am not targeting a specific age group. But as I've said earlier in the post, I do find it interesting reading novels and short stories written by younger writers ( 15-20, around that age ) because of their frame of mind. And the absence of a lot of boundaries we create in our minds as we get older :)

While I'm in my starting phase, I'm looking for short stories, possibly novels. This simply because of the length. At this stage I want to start small and build upwards. If everything goes to plan, and people like what I do I will start expanding. Looking for longer and more complex stories.
I've already read a short story in here that really got me interested. Which only would need two actors, and just a few locations.

So to answer that question simply: At this stage I'm looking for a rather short story, a small plot and with a twist or two to it, which will make it interesting for the audience.

-----------

I love stories that really dig deep in to the mind of the characters. Always been interested in psychology. Martin Scorsese ( Taxi Driver, Shutter Island ) and Christopher Nolan ( Memento, The Prestige, Inception ) - are two of my biggest influences this far. I love movies where you've got to think as the characters does to understand the story.

From the first time I saw the main character getting killed in a movie, I've embraced story twists, small or big. Just as long as it's not a "disney story" where they lived happily forever after.
Endings that leaves you hanging, and makes you think ( Inception or Shutter Island as two good examples ).
I really enjoy a good action or comedy movie as well, don't get me wrong. But that is what really inspires me.

So to answer that question simply as well: I love psychological stories with a good twist or two. Interesting characters, and not always an ending that explains everything.

------------

I will check into the possible obstacle of the writer being underage.
Hope it doesn't create too much trouble, as here seem to be many bright minds on this site.

------------

Thank you so much. It's always a good thing to imagine your story as a movie, not to limit it. But to make it easier for a director to convert it into a movie, and it will probably also mean that more of the text will be used to create the movie.

I'm simply offering an opportunity to cooperate with someone who's seeing their story / text from another point of view. Which I think will benefit both the director and the writer.

Kind regards
- Simon Solbakken

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:22 pm
birk says...

Hey Simon.

Fellow Norwegian here.

As you said you have no past experience, I'll assume you haven't attended any film school?

Even so, wouldn't it make more sense to contact any film students at any of our universities, try to gather up some of them and make one or more short films? You seem to be shooting a bit high here.

Many, including 'Den Norske Filmskolen', also have screenplay classes and courses. I'm sure there isn't a lack of good stories out there.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:40 pm
Poopsie says...

um...what sort of movie are u looking for??
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:30 am
Holysocks says...

Just curious now... Have you ever tried writing?

And I'm also wondering what normally gets taken out of the story, for converting it into a movie?
100% autistic

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:05 pm
Snowery says...

Hi, first of all I sincerely hope that you find what you're looking for and be able to achieve your dreams.

This site has writers from all over the world and you live in Norway. How would you deal with the distance when working on your movie?
The World Is Mine.

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:34 pm
Apricity says...

I repeats the questions that Silverlock had stated, there are indeed a lot of writers here spread across the globe and many are still under legal age to actually participate on such an important business. A movie sprang from a short story requires a lot of hard work coming from both the author and the director, how are you going to work this out?
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:30 pm

- Birkhoff

Thank you for the suggestion!

I've considered attending a film school, for the reason to meet even more likeminded people.
But at this stage I've got talented people to work with, and to give feedback.
The best way to learn is by doing. So I'm going to do.

Though i respect your opinion, there is no more of a guarantee that you will become a good artist or director because you attend a school. History has shown us this many times.

But thank you again for the opinion!

Finishing quote : It's better to shoot for the stars and land in the mud, then shoot for the mud and make it :)

Kind regards
- Simon Solbakken

- Verser & Holysocks

Please contact me with a personal message !

I'm not going to use this forum much anymore as I've got the answer to my original question.
I have already found two stories, from this site. I am about to contact the writers right now.

And I do believe that I've already answered your questions in earlier parts of this forum, so you can read trough them if you'd like or contact me personally! :)

Kind regards
- Simon Solbakken

- Silverlock & SubtleSanity

Thank you for both of your questions !

As I have stated earlier in this forum, the cooperation part will be crucial. Starting with e-mail and if we agree on some of the more general parts of the conversion from text to movie of their specific story, I would like to invite them to use Skype.

As we live in the 21st century we are able to connect and discuss ideas live, so I don't think this will be a problem at all. A client I'm working with at the moment, editing a GoPro video that will be released soon. - We discuss over Facebook, E-mail and Skype. Whatever works best day by day. And when we agree on something, or I've got an idea and want to show him. I just post the edited video clips on to Youtube as an unlisted video, so only those who has the link can see it. Then we agree or disagree and move on with the project.

So basically, we will have close contact as often as possible. Since I'm likely to work together with someone from another country. It will be a dated meetup. More frequently in the start of the process - when we are sharing ideas and finding out what we both want from the project, then back to fixed meetups on Skype to discuss location, actors and so on . And more frequently again when we start shooting and editing the movie.

I want to make use of the possibility we have as young people in this world, that they couldn't even dream of fifty years ago. I don't want to limit myself with only the people I've got around me here in Norway. I want to work with people who has experienced a different culture and has other ideas.

I'm rambling..
Hope I answered your questions.

Please feel free to contact me with a personal message if you've got more questions.
Or on my e-mail : ss92_sol@hotmail.no

Thank you all for the feedback, the answers and the constructive questions !

Kind regards
-Simon Solbakken

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:43 pm
View Likes

When my first movie is made. I will be sure to notify.

Keep up the great work!

Kind regards
- Simon Solbakken

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling