z

Young Writers Society

Movie Director Looking For Stories

Reviews: 0
Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:50 pm
SunWaterProduction says...

Hey

My names is, Simon Solbakken.

I'm a Norwegian movie director, representing a movie production firm in development.

I really enjoy this site, there are many bright minds and good writers in here.

But as I'm looking for specific talent. People that think some what the same way I do, I would love to have some way to filter the stories. Sort of like the way Youtube does it. Where you can filter videos by Date, Ratings, Views and so on.

This would help me out tremendously.

I'm still looking for "that one idea", and as much as I love reading and getting inspired.
I can't ignore how important time is, in this business.

Thank you.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

What, exactly, are you planning to do once you've found "that one story"?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:04 pm

A good question, Rosey Unicorn.

I would contact the writer and ask him / her if it would be possible to make their story into a movie. If I got a positive answer, I would immediately start cooperating with the writer. So that we could find a way to best interprete the story and make it work as a visual medium.

Hope this answers your question.

Kind Regards
-Simon Solbakken

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:44 pm
Snoink says...

Hi Simon!

First of all, I am moving this to the Lounge, which seems more appropriate than this forum. ;)

Right now, you can sift through the literary forums by genre! So, hopefully that will help you limit it? The first posts you can see are the most recent posts.

I will warn you that most of our writers are teenagers, so there may be legal complications in getting their story to your production. The site is mostly designed for young writers who want to develop their craft.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:48 pm
Karzkin says...

I was so confused for a second, I found this thread in SD&D, then I looked again 10 seconds later and it was gone. Sneaky Snoinkus.

Simon, if you click on the black "All Literary" tab at the top of the page you can view the literary works, and filter them according to style (scripts, shorts, novels, etc.), and then according to literary genre (like Snoink said arranged by date).
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:56 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Youtube was designed for the viewer, for them to find what they want quickly, this site is designed for the writer and reviewer, to help the help that they need quickly.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:44 am
View Likes
wolverene13 says...

I have many story ideas. Not to be a snitch. I also want to be a director though.

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:13 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Hi there!

I'm not sure what genre you're looking for, but here's a link to the "just short stories" section of the All Literary tab.

browse.php?s=Short%20Story

On the left-hand side, you should see a selection of various genres. Action/Adventure, Romance, Mystery & Suspense, and Dramatic to name just a few. You can select those in order to narrow down the search results and bring up only what you're interested in.

If you find one writer you're particularly fond of, you can also click on their profile by selecting their name and then go onto their portfolio. There, you can browse through all their other stories.

Also, the Featured Works are a valid place to find the site's more popular pieces, if you're looking for something that's been particularly well-recieved. On the home page, you'll see a few works under the header "Literary Spotlight." Those are what have garnered the most "Likes" in the past twenty-four hours.

I hope this helps!

~Lucrezia

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:57 pm

- Snoink

Thank you for your answer!

I was not sure which forum to put it in. Thank you for moving it to the more appropriate one! I've understood that most of the writers here are young, and that is something that I find quite interesting. Young minds don't always have the same boundaries to their imagination that more experienced older people have.

I think it would've been a nice experience for the writer. When you're making a movie, everything has to be more visual than in a text. So the writer would have to challenge him / her-self to create something that will work in a movie setting. Seeing their story from another point of view might give them more inspiration, and trigger a constructive though process. The cooperation part is also a situation most people will learn from. Getting feedback, and watching the end result.

- Karzkin

Thank you for your answer!
I now understand a lot more how the site works, and I understand it is more tailored for the writers and reviewers.

- Zolen

Thank you for your answer !
That makes a lot of sense, and as the title of this site says : youngwriterssociety
I understand that it's there to help the writers and reviews. But as the site grows, It would be helpful to create an easy rating system ala. Youtube.

- wolverene13

Thank you for your answer !

That's great to hear ! Have you started making movies then, or is it more a dream at this moment ? :)

Kind regards
- Simon Solbakken

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:12 pm

- Lucrezia

Thank you so much for the long and thorough answer !

I've been using the site for a couple of days now, and I'm starting to get a hang of the different ways to filter the stories.

I've already found a short story that I really enjoyed. Maybe you've written some yourself!

As I said in a different forum here. I find the fact that here's a lot of young writers very interesting ! Young minds don't always have the same boundaries to their imagination that more experienced and older people have. Because of this I believe they will often create more original ideas.

I don't consider myself old, as I'm 21 years old. But my creative imagination has definitely changed as life keeps giving me more and more responsibilities.

I hope I'll find a writer who will cooperate with me on making a short movie from a text on this site. I think it would've been a nice experience for the writer. When you're making a movie, everything has to be more visual than in a text. So the writer would have to challenge him / her-self to create something that will work in a movie setting. Seeing their story from another point of view might give them more inspiration, and trigger a constructive though process. The cooperation part is also a situation most people will learn from. Getting feedback, and watching the end result.

Thank you again,
Kind Regards
- Simon Solbakken

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 pm
View Likes
BenFranks says...

Hi Simon.

May I ask what sort of experience you have in film making? Do you have any produced we could take a look at, for example?

Do let me know.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:17 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

It is kind of a interesting idea, here. But do remember that ALL rights are reserved to the writers... so much as steal a character from someone, and I will find you! XD

Don't worry, I have no sense of direction! -But still. O.o
100% autistic

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:36 pm

- BenFranks

Thank you for the answer, and the question!
No, that's the thing, this is the first movie I myself will produce! I've been working for and with Blåst Film. A documentary movie production firm in Norway, they are internationally known and have got praise from movie awards all over the world. From Paris to India.

http://www.blaastfilm.no/en/the-silver-of-the-sea/

Now I'm not that much into documentaries, I want to be even more creative and groundbreaking. That's why I've chosen to do feature films. I love the fact that you have control over the story, by using the actors, lights, sound and music the way you want to. In documentary you depend on the environment, and not the other way around. Even though I did learn a lot about editing and framing an image working with them.

So I've got nothing to show you. but considering the equipment that has been bought in for the first movie. The price is 8000$ and counting ! Going to use the brand new Black Magic Cinema Camera.

Everything this far, I've bought using my own money. I've worked my (hope you don't mind) ass off as a plumber for almost two years with no past experience, just to afford what I've got now.
I'm passionate about getting as good of a movie director as I possibly can. Everyone has to start somewhere :)

Kind regards
- Simon Solbakken

- Holysocks

Thank you for the answer!

Haha, believe me I fully agree with you. All the rights should and will be reserved to the writers. They will be credited, and have a lot of control over the project in total. Because it is their vision and their idea. But still, we've got to cooperate. Because everything that is in a text can not, and I don't think has ever been included in a movie till now. It's just not possible.
But I will do my very best to include as much of it as possible, preserve the rights of the writer and try to create something worthy of the text that the movie will be based of.

Kind regards
- Simon Solbakken
Last edited by SunWaterProduction on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:07 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Are you targeting specific age group, or people who like specific genre (and in both cases, if yes, what should it be)? Do you have a general idea about what The Story should be about, at least as very wide thought (but not as wide as "something I'll really like")? Maybe you could compare it with some book or movie you've read/seen so we get a clearer picture?

Also, how would you go about the writer being underage?

I salute the idea and wish you luck, by the way. I know I've been imagining my novels as movies as a child and I think it's really pretty cool that you're offering someone to do just that with their story :D
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:30 pm
View Likes
Vincente says...

Ditto to what AriaAdams asked.

And you should check out Lucrezia's stories. They're amazing. profile/Lucrezia/portfolio/461419

Good luck! :D

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest