z

Young Writers Society

How young must these young writers be?

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:59 pm
View Likes
SetSytes says...

Hello other older members! :P (bah, I hate referring to my age range as 'older'!)

Nate, thanks for the other links. Yeah I turned away from writing.com. As for scribophile, their system just doesn't work for me. There's pressure to review just the 'spotlighted' works of which all briefly end up, meaning people are always reviewing things outside their chosen genres. You have to review to post your own, but each piece can only really get a few reviews before it's out the spotlight. You essentially review just to take others down and give yours a chance to go up in their place.
Then you're pressured to write much smaller pieces, and when you're writing bits of a novel it just isn't enough for someone to make sense of, especially as you end up with later chapters entering the spotlight without anybody having read previous ones. I guess it's better for flash fiction. Yadda yadda yadda, not explained that very well, essentially I'm not too fond of it.

Basically, I think YWS has, minor formatting issues aside, the perfect system. It's also very friendly and nice looking all around. Age range aside, I think it's my chosen site.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:13 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

Um, I wouldn't try AW right now. Seems like there is something wrong going on with that site (check Nate's wall for more details)

The youngest I've seen on here is 13 or 12. Some claim to be 8! I'd say Nate is one of the oldest ones on here.

Thank goodness for this site. Nowadays you see people who are stereotyping us younger people by saying because we are young, we should just pay attention in school and get good grades all of the time. (I agree with that but that is the only thing they want us to do besides doing chores) You see fantastic writers on here who are still in their teens.

YWS is my preferred sight for it has a good structure and nice people ( though some reviewers can be harsh and cynical)
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

21 Reviews

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:43 pm
SetSytes says...

Pah, don't get me started on school... at least there are some kids who have already wised up that school and passing exams isn't everything. Normally they only realise that when they're older and it's all behind them.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:13 pm
lostthought says...

I know some really smart kids who get horrible grades. I basically just want to go to college to I don't have to take a highway to McDonald's
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 pm
Snoink says...

I am 25 too! :o Turning 26 this year... and hoping that I'll be able to gorge myself on carrot cake in honor of my aging body. Because carrot cake is the most awesome thing in the world, I am pretty sure.

Of course, around that time of my birthday, I'll also probably be a sleep-deprived zombie, considering that I'll be taking care of my newborn daughter, if all goes well, but I am still hoping this doesn't mean I can't have carrot cake... Otherwise, there will be trouble!

I never really felt that old until I went into a toy store to get stuff for my nephews and nieces, and I thought, "OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT IS ALL THIS CHEAP STUFF THAT SUPPOSEDLY KIDS LIKE?"

And then I knew that I was old.

Anyway! Glad to see you stuck with us. Mwhahahhaa....
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:03 am
StellaThomas says...

I'm 20 so I don't know what age range that puts me in. I guess I'm just really in between! (@Meshugenah and @beckiw will tell you that I'm young and corruptible but I swear they're lying).

Gotta say, I find it really funny that you say those other sites censor your work- how weird! Considering we're a site geared towards a younger audience and we just like you to have things rated appropriately and keep the community clean... and to be honest I think a clean community is basically necessary for all sites but as a chronic non-swearer I'm just biased that direction.

Nate, stop scaring people away :P

Anyway, don't feel that you can't stick around because of your age! I barely know what age most people on the site are anymore, I just drift around being friendly to everybody :P the only thing is getting good critiques on more 'adult' pieces... maybe you should get dual-citizenship!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

21 Reviews

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:45 pm
SetSytes says...

lostthought wrote:I know some really smart kids who get horrible grades. I basically just want to go to college to I don't have to take a highway to McDonald's

Oh don't think that'll change anything ;)

21 Reviews

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:56 pm
View Likes
SetSytes says...

StellaThomas wrote:
Gotta say, I find it really funny that you say those other sites censor your work- how weird! Considering we're a site geared towards a younger audience and we just like you to have things rated appropriately and keep the community clean... and to be honest I think a clean community is basically necessary for all sites but as a chronic non-swearer I'm just biased that direction.

Anyway, don't feel that you can't stick around because of your age! I barely know what age most people on the site are anymore, I just drift around being friendly to everybody :P the only thing is getting good critiques on more 'adult' pieces... maybe you should get dual-citizenship!

Yeah YWS is great for being so accepting and non-censoring. And just for giving you the freedom to show off your work as you want without restrictions and annoying rules and methodology. None of the other sites have been good at achieving all three.

And don't worry, I'm sticking around! I gotta be somewhere... Dual citizenship, how'd you mean?

272 Reviews

Reviews: 272
Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:12 pm
View Likes
beckiw says...

I don't know what @StellaThomas is talking about. I'm a spring chicken!
'The creation of a single world comes from a huge number of fragments and chaos.' - Hayao Miyazaki

394 Reviews

Reviews: 394
Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:47 am
View Likes
KnightTeen says...

I will be seventeen in less than a month, and even though I have been on here less than a year (I am such a baby in so many ways) I don't plan on leaving until Nate or someone finally gets sick of me, and kicks me out.
Screw Yolo. I'm a cat. Nine lives losers!

I think I used to be HomeschooledTeen

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:31 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Pish posh @KnightTeen! The only person I ever get tired of is freakforchrist. Nearly 10 years, and he still hasn't made a single post. What a jerk.

Perfect kindness acts without thinking of kindness.
— Lao Tse