z

Young Writers Society

The "I need medical advice for my novel" thread

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:09 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

I can try to help try to solve some questions here!Try.
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

Random avatar

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 pm
View Likes
DukeofWonderland says...

@AriaAdams Pregnancy is already a huge strain on a woman's regular systemic functions, so ideally of course any injury could just be much more harmful for her, and thus her baby, than it would usually be.
Now for the child, you want to make sure the placenta, the baby's connection to the mother, is intact. Also, the mother would need to survive the trauma to be able to sustain the child.
A stab would in the arm or leg, when the mother doesn't lose much blood and get's immediate medical care'd be the safest way to go. You'd have to be an anatomist or a very lucky person, to miss the child and any vital organ when stabbing the woman's trunk.

Hope that helps.
regularly went cuckoo."

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

How many kilos would it take to crush a man's rib cage? (As in say a man in their early 20's and fit)
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:47 pm
WritingWolf says...

This isn't a very general question. But it is something which would help a lot with my current short story.

So being a Christian I decided why not try writing something a little more religious than what I usually write? So now I'm writing a story based off of something told in Mark 9:14 to 9:29. In this story there's a boy possessed with a dumb spirit. What I'm wondering is if there are any medical conditions which resemble the effects of this spirit? So that I might be able to use them to help give a better description of what happens to this boy.

And just in case you need, here is a quote of verses 14 through 29...
Spoiler! :
14 And when he came to his disciples he saw a great multitude about them, and the scribes questioning with them.
15 And straightway all the people, when they beheld him, were greatly amazed, and running to him saluted him.
16 And he asked the scribes, What question ye with them?
17 And one of the multitude answered and said, Master. have brought brought unto thee my son. Which hath a dumb spirit:
18 And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: And I spake unto thy disciples that they should cast him out: and they could not.
19 He answereth him, and saith. O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.
20 And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him, and he fell on the ground and wallowed foaming.
21 And he asked his father. How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said. Of a child.
22 And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy hi,: but if thou cast do any thing, have compassion on us and help us.
23 Jesus said unto them. If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears. Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.
25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him. Thou dumb and deaf spirit. I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.
And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and come out of him: and was as one dead; insomuch that many said. He is dead.
27 But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up: and he arose.
28 And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately. Why could not we cast him out?
29 And he said unto them. This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:57 am
KingLucifer says...

Though while this isn't for a novel what book would provide all knowledge of the human body and all it's functions and vital organs?
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

Random avatar

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:02 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

@Avalon Guyton's Textbook of Physiology :/
That's a very thick medical book though
regularly went cuckoo."

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:24 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@Avalon - I'm actually a big fan of Lauralee Sherwood's Human Physiology! Reads easier than Guyton's, however, it's also very large! Any simpler book on human biology might be a bit easier to manage ;)

Or do you mean in terms of anatomy? There's no better book than big Gray's for that.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:04 am
Astronaut says...

Ooh, great idea for a forum! I will almost definitely be using this sometime.
I don't have a signature.

Spoiler! :
Bet you didn't see that coming...

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:10 am
Snowery says...

@Avalon
I personally liked Vander's Human Physiology.
Or Marieb's Anatomy and Physiology which as you can see has both. They're both pretty readable but like the others they're hug medical textbooks and cost a fortune. :)
The World Is Mine.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:23 am
KingLucifer says...

Thank you to each of you.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:29 pm
SirenCymbaline says...

Sometime in the future, one of my characters may end up getting knifed in the lower back region. I was wanting her to survive it, but she is supposed to be in a Western setting, so medical science wouldn't be quite so good.

Or to simplify my question, how can I have my character survive a knife wound to the lower back? How would her body react? Would she pass out? (if so, how soon?)

And if she would not survive a lower back knife wound, then what sort of wound would work with my scene better?

Please answer this at some point, when you have the time. It would be very helpful. :)
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:08 pm
BluesClues says...

Two questions:

1. I need a fatal stab wound that would allow the victim to live for up to a couple hours after receiving it. Now, what I found through research is that--depending on where the stab wound is--what kills the victim is damage to internal organs and the loss of blood after the knife is removed. Right now, the character gets stabbed in the abdomen and receives minimal medical attention (since there's kind of a battle going on and all). Does that work, or do I need to figure out a different spot for his stab wound to be (and what spots are my options)?

2. A different character gets the horn of a magical creature through his hip. Afterwards he can walk, but he never walks quite right again and uses a cane for the rest of his life. Thoughts? I suppose this might also depend on exactly where his hip gets impaled, but...again, does that work?

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:27 pm
LadySpark says...

Okay so for my NaNo plot, the MC gets captured by *evil dude* and escapes by stabbing him. Except, I don't want it to be a fatal stab wound, just one that is painful enough to leave the *evil dude* unable to chase after the MC. Where are the possible areas for that?
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:11 pm
Rook says...

If one was hit on the head with a two-by-four enough to become unconscious, would one be able to survive with out severe lasting brain damage? :)
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:34 pm
Swiftfurthewarrior says...

So, I have a random story idea in which the main character suffers a deep cut on the left shoulder -from a whip- that almost servers a clump of nerves.

I was wondering if -when touched- this would affect the circulatory or muscular system at all.
Last edited by Swiftfurthewarrior on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi
Spoiler! :
Yes, I know I need a signature.

An author paints with words, an artist writes with paint.

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl